Advice on Gamecube

nat77

We made a decision to get Playstation for our then 7 yr old son two years ago, and we are glad we did. He has Grown into this system.. whereas the GameCube seems like it has been discounted lately, and is a second rate system compared to Playstation. The only negative thing is that at 7, my son loved the "Mario" games, which are only available on the GameCube. But we have found others like Kingdom Hearts, Jax, and Tony Hawk to substitute! I just think the Playstation is a better investment!

Catrin

Hi, I'm new, but we own all the systems--my husband is an electronics junkie. My kids are 12 and 15. My son (15) plays the XBox the most, but my daughter plays the GameCube. The games are "cuter". My advice would be to go look at the games and see what you think he'd like more. The Game Cube games typically cost a bit more than the other 2 systems but are geared more to the younger crowd. If you decide to get a PS2, then my daughters favorite games for it are SSX (and all the sequels), Crazy Taxi, and Harvest Moon (it's a farming Sim type game) The first 2 games are also available on the GAme Cube too-most games except the proprietary character games are cross platforming now.

We've actually had 3 different PS2's--the first one had a bad sound card, the second had constant Disc read error and now the third has been just fine for almost 2 years, so I really advise the extended warranty on that system!! I didn't have it for the first one, so when it died after 5 months I was stuck with 20 games and no system to play them. I bought the extended warranty with the second one and was really happy that I did when it died after 4 months. The manufacturer's warranty on them is only 90 days.

The things I like about the Game Cube are that the games snap into the tray and are better to take on road trips with the monitor thing. It's also smaller so it takes up less room in my car. I like the built in hard drive of the Xbox, and like the additional hard drive that you can buy for the PS2 (my son plays that FFXI) game on the PC, but now he plays it on the big tv, too.

Good luck choosing--but it's fun!!

We've had or currently have all the new systems too(DH didn't like the Xbox due to the lack of good RPG's for it) . I like the Gamecube for it's variety of kid's games, plus there's Mario and Sonic(I'm a sonic junkie) On the other hand, I like the PS2 for their great variety in RPG's(DH and I are both rpg fans) and the fact that it can play dvd's, so we don't have to have a DVD player hooked up to that tv(we have a dedicated video game tv) My 9yo prefers the Gamecube too.

SSX and Crazy Taxi are fun games! I "steal" DS's GBA sp all the time so I can play Crazy Taxi.

I'm bad--I got my own SP when they came out and then made the kids wait till Easter to give them theirs :-) Mine is the silver one, and they both have blue ones. I play Pinball--I'm addicted to pinball!! I like more of the slash type games--my husband plays all the RPG (currently everquest2 and FFXI online) games but I'm more into the Diablo/Baldour's gate type of games. I also like puzzle games (tetris, bustamove) and am really addicted to pinball on the SP. I am getting one of the DS's for Christmas, but I don't see any games that I want yet.

We currently own a PS2 and a GameCube....Xbox is coming for Christmas. My son is 9 and he plays both systems but seems to play the GameCube more.

We are on our second PS2, the first just burned out. We bought our GameCube from Game Crazy, used and its never given us any problems whatsoever.

thank you all i feel so at home

You're welcome, we're here to help :2bat: oops wrong emoticon how about this one :D

While the Sony PlayStation is more popular and has more games, the Nintendo is geared towards children and is considerably cheap. As Brad suggested you should seriously consider buying this GameCube bundle for $99 which is an awesome value!

You get a Nintendo GameCube (which can play GBA games with a special adapter), GameCube controller and the AMAZING Mario Kart Double Dash game. I doubt any Black Friday deals will beat this.

I just checked the bundle, you also receive $15 off another Nintendo game! :yelclap:

We are on our second PS2, the first just burned out.

They tend to do that. Not sure why people still equate Sony with quality, they have known issues with some of their DVD players that cause them to die after approximately 1.5 years of use (google sony dvd C 13:00). It's outside the warranty period, so why bother to correct the problem?

I love my Gamecube, but I'm not a hardcore gamer. There are plenty of games out there for Gamecube, but it's lacking in games like the GTA series.

The new Gamecube bundle for $99 with 2 controllers and Mario Kart game is a very nice deal, especially for younger kids.

I agree. For a 7 year old, a Gamecube is a great system. There's little reason to spend more when they will be happy with the game selection for several years. Buy the new $99 bundle mentioned above and you don't even have to spend $50 on a game to make it usable!

My son is 13 and we only have a Gamecube and he's happy with it. He's mainly into sports games and one nice thing about GC is there really aren't any of the seriously gory blood & guts games, so it's not even an issue. Talking about "growing into" a game system is ridiculous. By the time the child is old enough to care about wanting to have the more mature games, the system will be obsolete and they will want something newer, anyway.