2024 Retail Industry Discussion Thread

Brad

Retailers closed down over 4,600 stores in 2023, with more to come in 2024

[Retailers] also opened almost 5,500 stores in the U.S. in 2023, for an overall net increase of about 900 stores

• Bed Bath & Beyond: 866 stores
  • Tuesday Morning: 463 stores
  • CVS Health 300 stores
  • 7-Eleven: 184 stores
  • Family Dollar: 102
  • Walgreens Boots Alliance: 172

For 2024, U.S. retailers have so far announced 580 store closures, with some including CVS Health and Walgreens.  

Salem New Hampshire is a good example of this.  Many of the stores in the malls remain empty and the K-Mart remains vacant, but Ocean State Job Lot replaced Toys'r'Us and the Tuscan Village has attracted a lot of business.  In Seabrook New Hampshire, the mall anchored by Ames has only a Market Basket grocery store.

• 5 weeks later...

The yearly "Macy's store closings" article - I do my best to try and keep our local store going but I am still amazed they're not closing. 

https://www.fastcompany.com/91013506/macys-stores-closing-2024-full-list-locations-ca-fl

Macy’s store closures come as brick-and-mortar retail outlets continue to face significant headwinds from consumers who increasingly make online retailers like Amazon their first shopping destination. The stores that are closing are:

• Bayfair Center, San Leandro, California
  • Simi Valley Town Center, Simi Valley, California
  • Governor’s Square, Tallahassee, Florida
  • Kukui Grove Center, Lihue, Hawaii
  • Ballston Quarter, Arlington, Virginia