GottaDEAL 2024 Prize Club Discussion Thread

Brad

Happy July!

I'm off this week, but next week is the last week to finish up summer projects.  

New teachers come in 2 1/2 weeks, all teachers in 3 1/2 weeks, and students return in 1 month on August 1st!

I cannot cook without knowing the internal temperature of meat.  My wife had a couple old school thermometers.  They work fine, but are difficult to read when inside an oven or smoker.  I picked up a couple inexpensive digital probes.  I like them much better, but found them unreliable.  Last year I got a Meater+.  It's a game changer.  With remote access via phone app, I can easily monitor dinner's progress -- even with my aging eyes.  I liked the Meater+ enough to get a second, but I didn't.  While searching for a deal on the Meater+, I stumbled across the 2 Probe Chef iQ Smart Thermometer and Hub for $79.99, shipped free, on Costco.com.  It's $124.99 on Amazon.  Reviews are comparable to the Meater+ at a fraction of the cost (if you have a Costco membership).  Happy shopping.

• Like 5

July......unemployment begins in 10 days, have a liver biopsy in 9. Needless to say brain is all discombobulated trying to figure out what I need to print and what I can make do without, trying to consolidate as much info as I can and just generally trying to get my act together and just generally in shock. EVERYTHING really does fall apart after 40. I'm taking being laid off as a blessing but also FULLY aware this isn't like the last time I was laid off over 13 years ago and got unemployment extended. Looking up a new printer and laptop as my last laptop was bought with tax return after LAST being laid off as kinda struggles to even start up.

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, bluebear said:

Happy July!

I'm off this week, but next week is the last week to finish up summer projects.  

New teachers come in 2 1/2 weeks, all teachers in 3 1/2 weeks, and students return in 1 month on August 1st!

This is the fog I am living with right now...ugh!! I want one more month......minimum! 🤣

July check in for me! I am refusing to fully admit it is here. 

On 7/1/2024 at 1:15 PM, HomeinKS said:

Good day, I hope everyone is having a good summer!

I hope kitty gets fixed up!

Thanks! We confirmed we unintentionally suppressed her thyroid a bit too much. She got a full break from the meds yesterday to give her little body time to rebound a bit and we restarted this morning with a reduced dosage in between what she was on before and what we'd increased to. I'm watching her appetite over next few days and, if it craters again, I'm supposed to call back and we can further re-assess. I have a hunch I know where the magic spot might be but I don't want to assume, as I am definitely -not- a vet nor medication expert. I will say her appetite began to return as the day progressed yesterday, so that was a good sign (and further confirmation of the overshot with the meds). 🙂

• Like 4

13 hours ago, len_mullen said:

I cannot cook without knowing the internal temperature of meat.  My wife had a couple old school thermometers.  They work fine, but are difficult to read when inside an oven or smoker.  I picked up a couple inexpensive digital probes.  I like them much better, but found them unreliable.  Last year I got a Meater+.  It's a game changer.  With remote access via phone app, I can easily monitor dinner's progress -- even with my aging eyes.  I liked the Meater+ enough to get a second, but I didn't.  While searching for a deal on the Meater+, I stumbled across the 2 Probe Chef iQ Smart Thermometer and Hub for $79.99, shipped free, on Costco.com.  It's $124.99 on Amazon.  Reviews are comparable to the Meater+ at a fraction of the cost (if you have a Costco membership).  Happy shopping.

I love my Thermapen and Smokex4 from Thermoworks, but while the Smokex4 has good wireless range, neither are leave in without a wire or probe to a base unit. I’ve been tempted to give a Meater+ a try, especially for sous vide cooking. If the Chef IQ is truly comparable, I may just splurge sooner rather than later.

9 hours ago, tinkrbel said:

July......unemployment begins in 10 days, have a liver biopsy in 9. Needless to say brain is all discombobulated trying to figure out what I need to print and what I can make do without, trying to consolidate as much info as I can and just generally trying to get my act together and just generally in shock. EVERYTHING really does fall apart after 40. I'm taking being laid off as a blessing but also FULLY aware this isn't like the last time I was laid off over 13 years ago and got unemployment extended. Looking up a new printer and laptop as my last laptop was bought with tax return after LAST being laid off as kinda struggles to even start up.

I feel this in my bones but for me everything started falling apart healthwise after 50, and mostly within this last month.  Hospitalized 4 days for possible sepsis, critically low potassium level accompanied this.  CT scan revealed a lung nodule that I’m now following up on with a surgical oncologist.  Waiting on insurance to approve a PET scan.  Still having issues getting my potassium levels back up to a normal normal level. It’s finally at a “low normal” but I would prefer it be a bit higher.  Prayers for a normal biopsy for you. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, HanShotFirst said:

I feel this in my bones but for me everything started falling apart healthwise after 50, and mostly within this last month.  Hospitalized 4 days for possible sepsis, critically low potassium level accompanied this.  CT scan revealed a lung nodule that I’m now following up on with a surgical oncologist.  Waiting on insurance to approve a PET scan.  Still having issues getting my potassium levels back up to a normal normal level. It’s finally at a “low normal” but I would prefer it be a bit higher.  Prayers for a normal biopsy for you. 

Sending love and good juju. I think for me it just all flew under the radar for years because Doctor's have been blaming everything on my RA or just sweeping things under the rug because I was functioning. If we're honest I hadn't been to primary care doctor in years but I expected Rheumatologist to catch things like constantly high blood pressure and question my ALT/AST numbers if they were continually getting worse. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ytmomof4 said:

Every one have a safe 4th!!

YOU are such a parent.  I will NOT have a safe 4th!  I will have a FUN 4th!  The kind of 4th that often overheard my mother mutter to my father, "Go see what that kid's up to."

• Haha 3

Happy July! My luge athlete just got home from her first training camp of the summer, and leaves in 2 weeks for another 2 week camp. My oldest just wrecked our third vehicle, that he and his brother share, so it's shaping up to be an expensive month. Most importantly, he's fine. Just 4 people with 4 jobs and 2 cars will be a challenge. First world problems.

P1030299.jpg

• Like 1