Empty Nest Holidays

setlok73

Last year we didn't even put up a tree, well not true...see pic below (I decorated an air freshener) LOL.  But its alot different with no kids in the house.  Hubby and I buy what we want so there isn't much we can get each other.  We do put a moritorium on either of us buying anything till after the holidays and we have to put it on our wish list but thats pretty bare.  You just don't want "things" as you get older...IMO.  

We get stuff for the grandkids but they are in different states so its not as much fun.  Just a bit sad I guess. 

tree1.jpg

tree2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My wife and I are the same way with stuff usually, if we really want or need something we get it. She says I'm impossible to buy for because I don't ever really want anything. We try to give each other some things we want and then not go get them ourselves lol.

We are looking to do some trips for us and our daughter this Christmas since she's getting in her teens now and doesn't want as much (she has too much stuff already)

• Like 2

All my children are grown and out of the house, they come to visit though... but the tree has always been a favorite part for me and I love just having the lights from the tree illuminating the room while watching Christmas movies or relaxing... but the last few years, it has been a real chore to drag the tree up and put it together and then decorate it... sometimes I just leave the tree up and turn the lights off for the season 🙃

• Like 1

So instead of buying gifts why not do twist on the 12 days of Christmas. Each day you do a different Christmas related activity together. 

Drive around looking at lights. Do a movie marathon day/night of all your favorite classics. Make your favorite Holidays Meals/desserts/appetizers, etc. Buy matching Christmas PJs. Some farms, winery's and amusement parks get decked out for Christmas, visit one. Search of all Christmas events in and around your area. If you have Christmas dishes use them all month. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, berry1014 said:

So instead of buying gifts why not do twist on the 12 days of Christmas. Each day you do a different Christmas related activity together. 

Drive around looking at lights. Do a movie marathon day/night of all your favorite classics. Make your favorite Holidays Meals/desserts/appetizers, etc. Buy matching Christmas PJs. Some farms, winery's and amusement parks get decked out for Christmas, visit one. Search of all Christmas events in and around your area. If you have Christmas dishes use them all month. 

Those are great ideas.  Not sure he will be into them.  We live out in the middle of nowhere so very few folks decorate (since there's no one around).  Our town that we go into does decorate and does Christmasy things.  But I do like the idea of coming up with something other than traditional gifts.  I'll think about what we can do.  Thank you

53 minutes ago, setlok73 said:

Those are great ideas.  Not sure he will be into them.  We live out in the middle of nowhere so very few folks decorate (since there's no one around).  Our town that we go into does decorate and does Christmasy things.  But I do like the idea of coming up with something other than traditional gifts.  I'll think about what we can do.  Thank you

You're welcome.

Couple other ideas: invite some local friends over for a night of appetizers and games or have a gingerbread building contest. They sell kits with large and small gingerbread houses. 

Invite some ladies over for a day of making cookies together or do a cookie swap.

Most of the time my DH and I already know what we buy each other for Christmas but I do challenge my DH each year to get me surprise gift, something that I would never suspect. 

I can certainly relate . Last year was the start of the major decline on Christmas . When the kids grow up and move out things certainly change , especially when your single ..And this year is going to drastically change .  
 It also makes the mind set of decorating drop( or did for me ). The only real decorating spirit I had was hanging incoming Christmas cards around the doorway . I use to decorate everywhere ,inside and out , and have 3 inside trees . 

Edited by stevierocks

I have no nest or even a significant other to speak of (never have) so the holidays are always a bit bittersweet for me. Right now, I make sure I get together with my dad every year because, at 80+ years old, I have no idea how much more time I'll have with him. His dad lived to see 91, so I'm hoping I still have some years but you never know when the next time is the last time. Neither of us really needs much "stuff", so we've gone to trading gift cards to our favorite stores (Dad fishes, so he gets Bass Pro/Cabela's) and small token type gifts (I typically get him a new flannel shirt or two, as he can always use those.) My greatest moments of joy on the holidays are definitely the time spent with him and other close friends. 

I will say I do very much enjoy participating in the SS exchange here on the forums. Such fun to go out and buy for someone I may never meet, hoping I've picked fun things they'll enjoy while knowing someone out there is doing the same for me. 🙂

• Like 3
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We dont have kids so the holidays are not exciting.

I do enjoy putting up a few small decorations and lights on the back deck so I can see them from the kitchen.

But this year I hope to do something fun- go camping at the beach.

We did this a few years back ( really depends on the weather) and just veg out with the Dog and iPads.

I will report back 🙂

• Like 1