Shop Early! Possible Shortages Loom This Holiday Season

magickallight

Aldi is a go-to store on my shopping list...

Same here.  Aldis, Shaws, and Market Basket are on my commute (I drive past three Market Baskets) and within about a half mile of each other.  Hannaford is about two miles from my home and also on my commute.  My shopping 'process' begins on Sunday when Aldi's posts their weekly ads.  On Tuesday or Wednesday, Market Basket and Hannaford ads arrive in my mailbox.  Thursday Shaws posts their upcoming ad and Friday Shaws posts their coupons.

I buy milk and eggs at Aldis or Market Basket.  I also get most of my not-on-sale items at one of these stores.  I shop Shaws for their ad.  Hannaford is mostly for the ad as well.  Both have digital coupons and a very good loyalty program.  Market Basket, Shaws, and Hannaford have excellent bakeries.

I also pay attention to Amazop's subscribe and save promotions and occasionally visit Ocean State Job Lot for spices, batteries, and other commodities.  Most of this is free as the back end of a Crazy Deal.  Last week I bought a Z Grills pellet smoker for $399.99 that came with a $200 Crazy Card.  This is a ZPG-550B which sells for $439 on Amazon.

WOW - we don't have ANY of those stores down here! :(

Market Basket is a local store and a national story.  Worked there as a kid.  Was one of the first people in our local store the day Good Arthur prevailed.  It was really cool.  They didn't have much to sell, but an employee stood at the end of each aisle to thank each shopper as he passed.

Shaws is part of the Albertsons family of stores.

Hannaford is a northern New England trucking company that owns a chain of grocery stores.

Aldis...well...you probably have one of those.

Edited by len_mullen

Aldi is a go-to store on my shopping list... I find good deals there and some of their items I like better than name brand... it's all about what you like... if taste and quality are good to me, IDC what name is on the package if I get it at a good price...

Yes, I have had to step out and try some different things. As a kid you could tell the difference between name brands and off brands but now most are identical if not better. 

• Like 1

Yes, I have had to step out and try some different things. As a kid you could tell the difference between name brands and off brands but now most are identical if not better.

Some are made by the name brands on the same lines. Then just branded for the stores. There are many things at Alidi we like and some things not so much.
  • Like 2

My husband and I talked about getting items we know we will he using for Thanksgiving. Canned Yams, cranberry sauce, etc.

Press conference today said there will be shortages. No longer just possible ones. To buy now if you were able. That's for gifts and holiday foods

• Like 2

My husband and I talked about getting items we know we will he using for Thanksgiving. Canned Yams, cranberry sauce, etc.

Canned goods actually have no practical shelf life as long as the container is not compromised, so it's always a great idea to have a well stocked pantry.

Press conference today said there will be shortages. No longer just possible ones. To buy now if you were able. That's for gifts and holiday foods

I don't pay much heed (or even watch) anything coming out of the White House these days, but I have always bought 'must have' gifts early.  Last year I paid retail  :insane: for an Xbox Series X.  I purchased my Legends Ultimate Arcade on November 7th.  So shop away!  Despite supply chain woes -- or maybe because of them -- I expect great discounts as people deal with soaring gas, heating oil, and food prices.  So maybe leave a little spending for later.  

Pay attention to return windows.  Within that window, you should be able to price adjust or return/rebuy.

Happy shopping!

• Like 2

Already seeing issues grabbing an ipad for my son. I want to get it from Target since I took advantage of the gift card deal last week. I never seem to catch it in stock.

Trying to clear room in the freezer this weekend to get my turkey so we don't have to worry about that for Thanksgiving

• Like 1

Already seeing issues grabbing an ipad for my son. I want to get it from Target since I took advantage of the gift card deal last week. I never seem to catch it in stock.

Trying to clear room in the freezer this weekend to get my turkey so we don't have to worry about that for Thanksgiving

Do your stores HAVE turkeys? Mine are all saying that they won't be coming in until next month and they have NO idea how many (if any) they are going to get! :(

I was in Walmart Saturday and could not believe my eyes Bacon was 11.48 a pack the family size, 24 cans of Pepsi has doubled in price went from 5.49 a 24 pack to 9.99 , hard to find propel in 12 packs. buying groceries is so much fun 

That is CRAZY! :insane:

Do your stores HAVE turkeys? Mine are all saying that they won't be coming in until next month and they have NO idea how many (if any) they are going to get! :(

That is CRAZY! :insane:

Our store had turkeys out in the display cases this past weekend but the cases were barely half full. 

• Like 1

2 walmarts have no turkeys or hams. One got some in. I bought a turkey and a brown sugar spiral ham. Paid a lot more than usual, but so hard to find I figured I'd get them now. Have a deep freezer so got my Rhodes Texas rolls and pies too. If its bad now, I can only imagine next month
  • Like 2

There was an article on Facebook by CNN, that said there are 200,000 cargo containers waiting at sea I believe in a California port. Another article said they were looking for 80,000 truckers to help with deliveries! I'm not going to stress. If I can't find something then oh well, onto another idea.
  • Like 3

Our walmart had plenty of turkeys this week and last. I’ll pick up an extra one the next time I’m there, but we are having a fresh turkey for Thanksgiving, from our local butcher. 

I have stocked up on all baking supplies, and have any canned or frozen foods purchased for both Thanksgiving and Christmas. Canned pumpkin was a little tricky to find this year, but I managed to score some this week. 

I am starting to think about gifts and need to get it in gear. DS 10 and 11 are getting harder to shop for. 

• Like 1

2 walmarts have no turkeys or hams. One got some in. I bought a turkey and a brown sugar spiral ham. Paid a lot more than usual, but so hard to find I figured I'd get them now. Have a deep freezer so got my Rhodes Texas rolls and pies too. If its bad now, I can only imagine next month

I just need a ham, well two actually. I have a turkey that I bought a few weeks ago. It is like looking for a hot toy but now its food. 

• Like 2

I just need a ham, well two actually. I have a turkey that I bought a few weeks ago. It is like looking for a hot toy but now its food. 

Its all just nuts! Who would have ever thought turkeys would be scarce! I’m going to Walmart today and I’ll try to remember to look at their turkey supply. 

• Like 3

My boys are hunters, and I've asked them to get me a turkey this year. I've never eaten a wild turkey before though, so I hope I don't regret not searching for the perfect Butterball (there is ALWAYS a difference in taste between wild and farm raised. I don't know how much of a difference there is with turkey).

• Like 5

My boys are hunters, and I've asked them to get me a turkey this year. I've never eaten a wild turkey before though, so I hope I don't regret not searching for the perfect Butterball (there is ALWAYS a difference in taste between wild and farm raised. I don't know how much of a difference there is with turkey).

It should be find. It is just going to have to marinate a little more to address the game taste. The part I worry about is removing the feathers. 

• Like 3

I've been sitting on my last few my kids purchases and it bit me in the behind. My oldest's Monster Truck went OOS at Target so I had a momentary panic and then found it from Walmart. The Walmart one will be here mid next week, whew.

As for the other shortages, I've still been able to get our usual groceries for pickup, with minor substitutions. Haven't tried for our turkey or ham yet though, need to make room in the chest freezer but hard to when I'm trying to stockpile chicken nuggets, frozen sweet potatoes (both autistic child's favorite preferred freezer foods) and our basic groceries. I was seriously afraid March-April 2020 about him not having his foods and going on a food strike so trying to avoid that if the shelves get wiped again.

• Like 4

WELP went to the store for some Charmins and no luck. Went to another store and another store and then to another store and I am still toilet paperless AGAIN. Will have to get a substitute but I love the ultra soft ( maybe to mush info).

The warehouse stores have their brands which are like a couple of the major brands. Will say compares to.
  • Like 1

I am still sharing this news with all my last minute shopping friends. You can already see the shortages and shipping issues as it is taking a while to get things that stores say they have in stock. My goal is to be completely done in the next couple of weeks, so I am loving the early deals.

• Like 2

We were out trying to find some stuff for Christmas decorating which is coming soon. Everyone is low of stuff, my wife was talking to one of the Menards workers who told her if you see something you like get it now. She said they had been told that what they have is all they are going to get for this year. She said a lot of people are going to be disappointed when they go to get a tree after thanksgiving and no one has anything.

We noticed even Walmart is really low on a lot of things.

• Like 2

We were out trying to find some stuff for Christmas decorating which is coming soon. Everyone is low of stuff, my wife was talking to one of the Menards workers who told her if you see something you like get it now. She said they had been told that what they have is all they are going to get for this year. She said a lot of people are going to be disappointed when they go to get a tree after thanksgiving and no one has anything.

We noticed even Walmart is really low on a lot of things.

We were in Walmart over the weekend and noticed a lot of people buying trees, we bought some new lights. Normally they have most of their Christmas stuff out but they don't even have half out yet.  Even the amount of the Fall and Halloween decorations etc is a lot less than normal. Lots of empty areas in the toys section too. 

• Like 2