Predictions for Black Friday 2021?

Brad

So now that we're past BF 2020 and have a little more of an idea how things will go with vaccines, etc., what are your predictions for Black Friday 2021?

Will we go right back to 2019-style shorter 1-3 day sales or will the week-long sales continue?

Will any major store use the Target/Walmart plan of having multiple "BF" sales during November?

Will the controversial Thanksgiving Day openings be back for the major stores?

Will all those new online BF shoppers this year continue to do that in future years?

How do you think the deals will compare with this year?

• Like 1

I think you're going to see the multi week sales again.

I'm not sure on the being open on Thanksgiving again or not, I think that will depend upon the $ they made this year with it all online vs what they made the previous year. I think that will just come down to which way showed more profit for the store/brand. If not paying all those people holiday pay saved them money and they pulled the same or more profits then it's probably gone.

I think a lot of people will continue shopping online in the future especially if they continue the multi week sales.

I think a least for next year there will be a multi week plan as the pandemic will still be fresh in the minds of everyone. I do not think that they will be open on Thanksgiving either. I feel like we are in uncharted territory and it is a roll of the dice as to what may be instore for next year. I think the pandemic has open the eyes of many and the status quo may not be as acceptable as it use to be especially when it comes to family time and gatherings. What we use to take for granted will now be appreciated more in my opinion.    The big question I have is will all the stores be around next year. The holiday sales that many count on to get through the first half of the year will not be there due to the pandemic. I see a lot of stores switching to an online only model and abandoning the brick and Mordor. Either way, Lord willing I will be here, all through the year, as it unfolds in real time. 

I think if they get the hang of it, like some like Kohl’s have for awhile, the multi sales will continue. If done right they can grow their sales as it may entice people to buy more for a longer period of time. Staying closed on Thanksgiving is a 50/50 in my opinion.

i think its all about the mighty dollar. so yes stores will likely offer pre-black friday sales. but hold off special sales for black Friday.  and i really wish for the covid scare to be way over by then!!! 

i have done quite A bit of on line shopping in the last so i know i will continue. but i am sure i will add back in the brick and mortar shopping. !!!

I'm probably in the minority, but I'm hoping the Thanksgiving night sales come back.  I didn't do any BF shopping this year because I was traveling with my son to a sports tournament - we left Friday morning. I didn't make time to track down any online sales, and I didn't really get into the sales weeks prior to BF.  I felt they were confusing (will item X be offered online or in store only, or both?) and not very good deals in a lot of instances.  I think 2020 was just a bust for me in regards to BF shopping.  Hopefully 2021 is a little more "normal".

I did see where Macys is closing another 45 stores this year.  My mom and I can't believe that the one in our local mall is still open. We have done our best to keep them in business, but they have huge gaps of open space where there is no product whatsoever in the store.  I suspect ours is on the chopping block. This makes me wonder what other big stores aren't going to be around for BF 2021.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Add me to the minority as well. I like shopping the night of Thanksgiving.

I'm probably in the minority, but I'm hoping the Thanksgiving night sales come back.  I didn't do any BF shopping this year because I was traveling with my son to a sports tournament - we left Friday morning. I didn't make time to track down any online sales, and I didn't really get into the sales weeks prior to BF.  I felt they were confusing (will item X be offered online or in store only, or both?) and not very good deals in a lot of instances.  I think 2020 was just a bust for me in regards to BF shopping.  Hopefully 2021 is a little more "normal".

I did see where Macys is closing another 45 stores this year.  My mom and I can't believe that the one in our local mall is still open. We have done our best to keep them in business, but they have huge gaps of open space where there is no product whatsoever in the store.  I suspect ours is on the chopping block. This makes me wonder what other big stores aren't going to be around for BF 2021.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

Black Friday is forever changed, but as i get older i realize that spending a week at home shopping  instead of camping can yield some unexpected and more convenient results. Istill miss camping but admit that it was becoming impossible due to the changing terms and sales dates which split up the deals to be had.

• Like 2

Black Friday is forever changed, but as i get older i realize that spending a week at home shopping  instead of camping can yield some unexpected and more convenient results. Istill miss camping but admit that it was becoming impossible due to the changing terms and sales dates which split up the deals to be had.

i love the thrill of the hunt, online shopping is almost the same as camping used to be, you spend hours/days sitting on a page instead of in line, just waiting for the price to change, but I love having my hand on my items, than the hope and pray the item ships. Been burned too many times in the past of items being oversold and not getting something I ordered.

• Like 2

One thing that I've seen from Walmart, Target, and Best Buy when buying trying to purchase the PS5 last year and back in the spring was a new system where you literally "wait in line" on their websites for items. 

I predict for big ticket items/doorbusters that more retailers will use this type of system where you can put the item in your cart but will make you wait to checkout until it's your turn as long as the item is in stock. Was successful in both attempts thru Target and Best Buy to score it and avoided needlessly refreshing my screen for 20-30 minutes. 

This kind of system will help keep their overall websites from crashing during the BF rush. I still think people will try to avoid stores due to covid. 

I truly believe that we will see many more early sales and very few mega deals on BF... not to say  the deals will be bad but I do think they have become somewhat predictable . Dont get me wrong I rely on those "predictable" items on BF to fill almost all my household needs and most of my gifts for a full year. 

Im predicting spread out sales due to the virus still lurking heavily out there which im ok with after seeing how last year went, now if you ask me several years ago, I would of been totally against it and online shopping as I heavily enjoyed camping and lurking the stores after Thanksgiving day but now, I would rather enjoy doing the shopping online and the spread out sales. Here's hoping next year during the BF season, everything will be actually back to normal.

• Like 1

i love the thrill of the hunt, online shopping is almost the same as camping used to be, you spend hours/days sitting on a page instead of in line, just waiting for the price to change, but I love having my hand on my items, than the hope and pray the item ships. Been burned too many times in the past of items being oversold and not getting something I ordered.

Let us hope that cancellations are a thing of the past.

This is my sentiments exactly. 

Here is a prediction: Will I buy some more TVs and 4K goodies? Price will be a factor this year and we shall se if the 55" 4K deals are as good or will they move to the 65" size?

I need a new 65in. Mine acts up sometimes (power on issues and wifi connection dropping) but other than that it is a great tv. I just want everything to work when I push the button. 

I need a new 65in. Mine acts up sometimes (power on issues and wifi connection dropping) but other than that it is a great tv. I just want everything to work when I push the button. 

Don't we all? I envision a new 50", 55" and 65" this year even if two of them are put aside as mid year replacements. The truth is that it costs you more to buy mid year to replace one that goes out than to get a Black Friday deal and keep it boxed for that inevitable failure at three to seven years down the road.

• Like 1

Don't we all? I envision a new 50", 55" and 65" this year even if two of them are put aside as mid year replacements. The truth is that it costs you more to buy mid year to replace one that goes out than to get a Black Friday deal and keep it boxed for that inevitable failure at three to seven years down the road.

That is my plan. It sit there and look pretty in the corner until I throw a hammer at the other one. 

One thing that I've seen from Walmart, Target, and Best Buy when buying trying to purchase the PS5 last year and back in the spring was a new system where you literally "wait in line" on their websites for items.

I predict for big ticket items/doorbusters that more retailers will use this type of system where you can put the item in your cart but will make you wait to checkout until it's your turn as long as the item is in stock. Was successful in both attempts thru Target and Best Buy to score it and avoided needlessly refreshing my screen for 20-30 minutes.

This kind of system will help keep their overall websites from crashing during the BF rush. I still think people will try to avoid stores due to covid.

That system definitely helped with people being able to purchase the game systems and helped with the "scalpers" that were buying up the systems within minutes of re-stocking... Trust me when I tell you people are out and shopping in these stores (I work p/t at one of them[emoji23]). Any big/major holiday or event my store is packed and busy... It was busy for 2020 and I predict it will be no different this holiday season!! At least in my area...

That system definitely helped with people being able to purchase the game systems and helped with the "scalpers" that were buying up the systems within minutes of re-stocking... Trust me when I tell you people are out and shopping in these stores (I work p/t at one of them[emoji23]). Any big/major holiday or event my store is packed and busy... It was busy for 2020 and I predict it will be no different this holiday season!! At least in my area...

I am not against the people who see a profit margin or advantage in a sale that would normally be die cast against them. The problem is essentially with the Manufacturers who short stock an item in order to create the frenzy in the first place. History proves this time and again.

• Like 1

I am not against the people who see a profit margin or advantage in a sale that would normally be die cast against them. The problem is essentially with the Manufacturers who short stock an item in order to create the frenzy in the first place. History proves this time and again.

Especially knowing your only going to sale 2 and have 200 people in line trying to get it.