GottaDEAL 2020 Black Friday Prize Club Posting Thread

Brad

Checking in for July.  My small town has decided to go ahead and have their annual rodeo, but they won't have a beer garden.  If anything I figured they'd cancel the rodeo and keep the beer garden.  But they can still bring their own so the drunks still have a place to go.

Happy Independence Day to all in the US, and citizens of the US visiting or residing elsewhere!

I think this is the first time in several years I didn't hear any home fireworks/fire crackers go off the night before. We'll see if that carries through tonight.

(I am a native born US citizen, but I find this meme funny...)

2020-07-04-08-42-26.jpg

• Like 2

2020-07-04-08-42-26.jpg

Yesterday I was in Aldis.  One of the managers recognized me and started a conversation.  At the end, he wished me a happy Fourth of July.  "Same to you," I said.  Then, "Probably isn't the same for you.  Have a nice weekend."

Then we had a long conversation about how he felt about American independence.  Mostly pondering how the 20th century would have been different if England could have compelled the Colonies to enter both world wars earlier.  Kind of a cool perspective on our history from someone on the outside looking in with a vested interest.

With all the so-called demonstrations going on right now, I would like to remind everyone that in the summer of 2014, 25,000 employees and millions of customers PEACEFULLY prevented the overthrow of an empire -- Market Basket.  If you do not know the story, take a minute to read this...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Market_Basket_protests

In an unusual twist, the 99% put their jobs on the line to save the job of a 1%'er -- Arthur T. Demoulas.  Patrons, vendors, and partners joined the battle.  With so much at stake, it would be understandable if tempers flared, but they didn't...at least not publicly.  Consumers shopped elsewhere and taped their receipts to Market Basket windows, employees held rallies when they were off the clock.  The media AND the public was sympathetic to the emperor and his minions.  In the end, a knight in shining armor bankrolled the beloved CEO.  

I worked for Demoulas as a teen and have shopped there all my life.  I was in line the morning they opened the stores after the settlement was reached.  The shelved were not well stocked, but an employee stood at the end of each aisle to thank us for supporting Arthur T. Demoulas.

These people prove that change does not require vulgarity and violence...

In my mind and heart, this is a story of importance.  I'm not alone.  MIT did a study...

https://gcgj.mit.edu/sites/default/files/imce/resource-uploads/14.160.Market%20Basket.Ton_.Kochan.FINAL_.pdf

Happy Fourth of July.  Keep the faith!

Edited by len_mullen
  • Like 1

With all the so-called demonstrations going on right now, I would like to remind everyone that in the summer of 2014, 25,000 employees and millions of customers PEACEFULLY prevented the overthrow of an empire -- Market Basket. If you do not know the story, take a minute to read this...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Market_Basket_protests

In an unusual twist, the 99% put their jobs on the line to save the job of a 1%'er -- Arthur T. Demoulas. Patrons, vendors, and partners joined the battle. With so much at stake, it would be understandable if tempers flared, but they didn't...at least not publicly. Consumers shopped elsewhere and taped their receipts to Market Basket windows, employees held rallies when they were off the clock. The media AND the public was sympathetic to the emperor and his minions. In the end, a knight in shining armor bankrolled the beloved CEO.

I worked for Demoulas as a teen and have shopped there all my life. I was in line the morning they opened the stores after the settlement was reached. The shelved were not well stocked, but an employee stood at the end of each aisle to thank us for supporting Arthur T. Demoulas.

That was an interesting read. Thank you!

• Like 1

^^^ You're welcome.  If you want to know more, movies have documented the event...

http://www.themarketbasketeffect.com/

The Demoulas family has been so good to their employees.  They attend weddings, co-sign mortgages.  Their philosophy is that you should make enough to raise a family in their employ.  I witnessed the ascension of an hourly employee.  If you were a good worker and chose not to go to college or had graduated college, you would be offered a full time position.  A manager would make the offer.  Upon acceptance, you would replace your apron with a smock, get a big raise and 'adult benefits', and become a full time worker.  Many of the kids I bagged groceries with are now managing stores.

Check out the About page on their web site...

https://www.shopmarketbasket.com/timeline

• Like 1

My daughter just bought her first car on her own. And got her own insurance. So at 28 we finally have her all on her own, and no longer paying anything.

1 down, 2 to go!

It's thrilling, isn't it? My son just bought his first house. Their realtor knew they wanted to get a cat when they were no longer in an apartment so part of her housewarming gift to them was an adorable kitten!

• Like 3

It's thrilling, isn't it? My son just bought his first house. Their realtor knew they wanted to get a cat when they were no longer in an apartment so part of her housewarming gift to them was an adorable kitten!

That's awesome!!

My wife and I bought our house four months before we got married.  That was my fault.  We were at a Christmas or New Years party (the details are foggy due to...um.. the passage of time) I was kicking butt at Pictionary, and used that authority to inflict my recollections of economics 101 to all who would listen.  An equally foggy partier totally agreed.  In the morning, I woke up with a headache, an appointment with a realtor, and an appointment with a builder.  

The realtor was very slick.  And very helpful.  After listening to what we wanted, he proceeded to drive us to a home that was out of our price range -- assuring us that the seller was very motivated.  As we drove down the cul-de-sac, my fiancé, from the back seat, declared that a house we passed was beautiful.  I could feel the realtor smile.  We ended up making an offer on that house and, eventually, buying it.  By the time we bought it, the realtor was out of the picture (we bought directly from the builder).  After we closed, the realtor sent us a bottle of champagne and wished us the best in our marriage.  Classy guy.

We were kids when we bought that house and my parents walked through it with us.  Passing from the master bedroom into the master bath, my mother commented that the light was off center.  I looked up and shrugged.  Next time we were in the house, the builder told me he had the light moved for my mother.

I hated buying a house (I looked at 186 housed with two realtors over a seven month period) and I never want to do it again, but I have to say the people we dealt with were pretty decent.

• Like 2

July finds me still working from home (with no idea when I will return to the office). I have dined outside once since it was allowed. I have started shopping for school supplies but I have no idea what type of hybrid schedule my children will be on.

At this point, I’m just looking forward to Hallmark Channel’s Christmas in July. This too shall pass.

• Like 2

I’m looking forward to Hallmark’s Christmas in July as well but I’ve been pretty content since we got 1 month of Disney plus this past Friday so that we could watch Hamilton and The Mandalorian. I was in love with baby yoda aka the child long before I ever saw the show and now I’m just obsessed. I’m only watching 1 episode a night to make the fun last a little bit longer. Edited by budgetsRsexy

My daughter just bought her first car on her own. And got her own insurance. So at 28 we finally have her all on her own, and no longer paying anything.

1 down, 2 to go!

I remember the first car I bought on my own, a brand new early/mid 90’s Dodge Avenger sportscar.  Man I loved that car.  It was the first no down payment help, no sales tax help and no insurance help ever.  The only thing I allowed was one parent to co-sign the loan since I had not built up much credit yet.  I feel like I’m betraying my first “baby” because I can’t remember the exact year model.  LOLOL

• Like 2

I’m looking forward to Hallmark’s Christmas in July as well but I’ve been pretty content since we got 1 month of Disney plus this past Friday so that we could watch Hamilton and The Mandalorian. I was in love with baby yoda aka the child long before I ever saw the show and now I’m just obsessed. I’m only watching 1 episode a night to make the fun last a little bit longer.

I have still not done the Disney+ but I am so obsessed with Baby Yoda that I actually bought a stuffed BY at Walmart and went so far as to name him!  LOL.  I’m a grown adult naming a stuffy.  Who would have thunk it!  LOL.  I also frequent several BY Facebook groups because that content is better than anything else on the mess of a site.  

• Like 1

I remember the first car I bought on my own, a brand new early/mid 90’s Dodge Avenger sportscar.  Man I loved that car.  It was the first no down payment help, no sales tax help and no insurance help ever.  The only thing I allowed was one parent to co-sign the loan since I had not built up much credit yet.  I feel like I’m betraying my first “baby” because I can’t remember the exact year model.  LOLOL

My first car was a 1971 Buick Skylark.  455/4barrel carb, power everything and leather throughout.  Paid cash for it and financed the stereo I installed for three years (Pioneer through Columbia House).

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-7ORtbZEdZRU/U7ulIEWKZKI/AAAAAAAAgFU/b3LOwGzVNms/s1600/1971-Buick-Skylark-Gran-Sport-455.jpg

• Like 4

Record highs coming close to smacking 120 degrees. Good thing everything I have to do is in the early morning. If I went out in the afternoon I'd melt like an ice cream cone.

Someone once asked me what it's like to live in ths southern Arizona dry heat. Take your oven and pre-heat to 350 degrees. Once pre-heated, stand in front of your oven and open the door. That gush you feel is what it's like opening your front door in the AZ summer.

• Like 1