Saran Wrap Ball game

budgetsRsexy

I have seen several people mention the Saran Wrap Ball (“SWB”) in other threads on GD. I was intrigued and went online to look it up and I think it might be fun to introduce my family to it next time we are together for the holidays. Do you have any suggestions or tips I should take into consideration? Type of Saran Wrap? How many times to wrap around a gift before inserting another gift? Ways to avoid a super uneven distribution of the prizes? Ways to avoid the game going too fast? People’s preferred rule variations?

Also, what do you guys fill it with (without spending a fortune on gift cards, I’d like to get away with keeping it around $30)? I would think you’d want to try for gender neutral stuff to avoid the men ending up with nail polish or my balding dad getting hair ties [emoji23] We are all adults in my family so give me some ideas on what to fill it with! (that isn’t lottery tickets, candy or mini liquor bottles which I already picked up off the internet ideas)

• Like 2

We tried this game last year it was a blast!

Due to the size of our family we actually did two at the same time 1 for adults and 1 for kids

Dollar Tree plastic wrap two rolls for each ball was used.

The adult one we put lottery tickets and star bucks gc and the plastic bone shot bottles is alcohol

The kids one had full size candy bats and gum and gc also

• Like 1

I can't remember everything but here are some of the fillers we had:

earbuds

Peppermint flavored gum

chapstick/eos   (holiday flavored if you can find it)

socks of the ugly variety :)

travel sized hand lotion

small notepads/sticky note pad

packet of hot cocoa

tiny candles like you can get a Bath & Body works

The main/middle prize was a $15 iTunes GC

• Like 3

I bought several gift cards to various places. With the center being a $50 gift card to the families favorite restaurant. I bought a variety of lotto tickets. I had men and women’s products from bath and body. I even had a bar of soap with money in the middle in there. Your imagination is the limit. I actually used 6 rolls of Sarah wrap. Here is my sister in laws response with a pic of some of her favorite goodies.

72b6e0de5af6ede73ed2aab0e29ef74e.jpg

• Like 2

Was wondering if anyone has used Wish before. Their ad keeps popping up on my Facebook feed and I’ve seen some items with potential for game prizes at great prices. Let me know if you have any experience with them.

For in store purchases so far I’m thinking Harbor Freight, Michael’s and Target dollar spot for good places to get a wide variety of cheaper items (that will actually end up being used and are decent quality). I’ll probably keep a closer eye out for the drug store freebies too. Getting really excited about this!

Was wondering if anyone has used Wish before. Their ad keeps popping up on my Facebook feed and I’ve seen some items with potential for game prizes at great prices. Let me know if you have any experience with them.

For in store purchases so far I’m thinking Harbor Freight, Michael’s and Target dollar spot for good places to get a wide variety of cheaper items (that will actually end up being used and are decent quality). I’ll probably keep a closer eye out for the drug store freebies too. Getting really excited about this!

I have used wish many times. It’s ok. They have sent me the wrong item several times. Remember also the stuff is from China mostly so sizes are not correct and electronics may not work with our systems here. Also shipping can sometimes take forever. Some products are flimsy. I got some good things too though so it just depends on what ur looking for.

I know a lot of people swear by Wish.  I ordered a stuffed elephant from them once, and once I got it the quality seemed fine. But it took 2 months to get it. 

wow i never even heard of wish.. but about to go check it out now..and i do a LOT of online shopping so i am shocked i never came across it.

• 2 weeks later...

So I’m doing the game for when my family is all together at Thanksgiving (Christmas is with my husband’s family out of state this year). There will only be 6 of us. How many prizes should I have to wrap up?

I've only done it one year, and this year I've been collecting for it all year. However, look at it this way. If you did 20 then each person has a potential chance of getting 3 each.  If you wanted each person to have a chance at getting 5 gifts each then you would be looking at 30-35 things. 

• 3 weeks later...
Just wanted to thank everyone for their ideas and input on this thread. My family was very skeptical about the game when I brought it out and explained it to them but everyone ended up having a blast. My ball ended up having 30 items in it for the six of us and I managed to keep the cost right around $50. I think this will be our new Thanksgiving family tradition [emoji3]
  • Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to thank everyone for their ideas and input on this thread. My family was very skeptical about the game when I brought it out and explained it to them but everyone ended up having a blast. My ball ended up having 30 items in it for the six of us and I managed to keep the cost right around $50. I think this will be our new Thanksgiving family tradition [emoji3]

Any suggestions after having done it? [emoji3526] We are doing our first one Christmas Eve. So far, I've gotten about 50 items together, still have to get a couple of scratch off lottery tickets and decide what the main prize will be. We will have 7 or 8 doing it.

Any suggestions after having done it? [emoji3526] We are doing our first one Christmas Eve. So far, I've gotten about 50 items together, still have to get a couple of scratch off lottery tickets and decide what the main prize will be. We will have 7 or 8 doing it.

I think the biggest thing is to make sure you tear off the Saran Wrap and start it in a different direction fairly regularly. It’s super easy to unravel the ball if you have a really long continuous piece. You should also make one of the rules that you can’t tear the Saran Wrap, you actually have to find the end each time and unravel from there.
  • Like 3

Giz - another suggestion we found helpful was to have something to roll the dice into. That keeps the dice from falling off the table and it’s easier/faster to pass them on to the next person that way too. We used a pie plate at someone else’s suggestion but it was loud so maybe a fabric lined basket would be better than something that’s made of metal or glass.
  • Like 1

I used red Saran Wrap that they have out just for the holidays and that made it a lot harder to see what was in the top most layer of the ball. By the time we actually play the game though the ball is getting passed and rolled around on the table so much you couldn’t focus on what was in each layer anyway.

We played the Saran Wrap game this weekend at our holiday party. Everyone had such a blast. I had about 20 items wrapped in the ball. It had chapstick, lottery scratch offs, yankee candle car freshner, cell phone pop socket, hand lotion, hand sanitizer, mini liquor bottles, gum and other little items. The main prize was an Apple gift card. I did switch the game up; in addition to rolling doubles to pass the ball, if you rolled a 7 or 11 you were able to steal one of the items from someone. It was hilarious to see what people would take from one another. I'm so glad this game was suggested. Thanks everyone.

Edited by msyves
  • Like 2

We played ours today and had a great time. I used strips and wound them in different directions and included some wrapping paper in the layers. I spray painted a boot box lid red and lined it with green fabric for the dice. It was easy to pass and nice to throw in. I think if we had our kids and grandkids doing it, we would have used gloves or oven mitts, but I wanted my mom to be able to do it. Our center gift was cash in a plastic Easter egg.
  • Like 2