Cell phone companies are charging us $1.00 or more for 411 / information

calls when they don't have to.

When you need to use the 411 / information option, simply dial 1 800

FREE 411 or 1 800 373 3411 without incurring a charge at all except for

the minutes required to make the call.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Here's the catch:

When you place a request with our 1-800-FREE411 service, we may present an offer or advertisement to you which is based upon your directory assistance request. So for instance, if you request the number for a pizza delivery service, we may present you an offer from the same or a competitive pizza delivery service. You will then have the choice to accept the offer or to decline it and simply receive the information you requested.

But wait it gets better:

We will NOT call you for marketing purposes or to offer you products or services. The only exception to this is that occasionally, we may call you to simply ask about your satisfaction with our service and what other products and services you would like us to offer. However you may never receive such a call, and if you do you would not be likely to receive such a call more than once every year or two.

Here's the catch:

When you place a request with our 1-800-FREE411 service, we may present an offer or advertisement to you which is based upon your directory assistance request. So for instance, if you request the number for a pizza delivery service, we may present you an offer from the same or a competitive pizza delivery service. You will then have the choice to accept the offer or to decline it and simply receive the information you requested.

But wait it gets better:

We will NOT call you for marketing purposes or to offer you products or services. The only exception to this is that occasionally, we may call you to simply ask about your satisfaction with our service and what other products and services you would like us to offer. However you may never receive such a call, and if you do you would not be likely to receive such a call more than once every year or two.

I've used this service several times. I've never been called by some unknown company and the business number I wanted was the only one they gave me. the only thing I didn't like was that they don't automatically connect you. You have to remember or write down the number.

ive never been called by any business or even by the company..and they NEVER offered me a different company then the one i asked for. hmmm i would think it mught be good if the other company had a better deal...and ive actually called a pizza place like in example.lol...but yeah i do have to write down or remember the #

Just because they haven't done that yet doesn't mean they won't. I'm just letting you know that they CAN do it. I would guess that they are not doing it now because they want more people to know about this. And after everyone starts using it, then the ads and calls will follow.

Erik

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I have used this a lot too. They don't always seem to be as good as the paid service (as they try to be more automated) but they are pretty good. just be careful when dialing to be sure to dial 800 as many adult-oriented phone companies have taken similar numbers. My brother tried calling and dialed something other than 800 by accident and got and adult line.

you can also send a text message to Google .. here are the instructions.

http://www.google.com/sms/

it's kewl too ..

TYVM!!! I like the idea of texting for a phone# to Google

Just type in the name & location you want the # for and send a text message to this # 46645 (GOOGL)

for example:

TYPE...Days Inn Kenosha WI

RESULT...

Local Listings:

Days Inn Kenosha

12121 75th St

Kenosha, WI 53142

262-857-2311

7.0 mi, W

Days Inn Waukegan Gurnee

3633 N Lewis Ave

Waukegan, IL 60087

(2/2)847-249-7778

11.6 mi, S

Riverside Days Inn & Suites

3700 Northwestern Ave

Racine, WI 53405

262-637-9311

11.5 mi, N

My text message costs only 5¢ ...which beats the $1.25 they want for a 411 call on my cell...even beats the /minute charge I pay for the minutes!

I jotted this all down on a small piece of paper and tucked it inside the cell phone case :)