Freesia, other Cali members...need help

Hubby is going to E3 this year. We just found out, like minutes ago (maybe he'll see ya there, Nate!) Anyways, we need a CHEAP hotel from May 9-12.Doesnt matter how crappy it is, lol, since he will only be sleeping there (if even that). Anyways, I need a hotel thats affordable, and close (walking distance) to the Convention Ctr. Any Help is appreciateed!!!!

The Holiday Inn is the cheapest thing I can think of that's walking distance.

Here's the problem though: USC's graduation is May 12. When my undergrad roommate graduated, her family flew in from all over the country and three months before we were alreay putting them in Santa Monica because everything reasonably priced nearby was already full.

the holiday inn near the convention center will be BOOKED. guaranteed.

i live nearby in koreatown, but USCbecca is right - there will be a gazillion people in town for SC's grad.

there are some smaller hotels near the convention center but not within walking distance. the rest of the hotels semi nearby are getting closer to the expensive upscale high rise hotels.

you are looking for stuff on olympic blvd or figueroa to be close.

http://www.lacvb.com/visitor/jsp/adetails.jsp?count=4&snum=1 would be about a 20 min walk though. however, i don't really like walking on that street in general, but do it during the day!

http://www.lacvb.com/visitor/jsp/adetails.jsp?count=18&snum=11 is further out than that, but that's starting to get just too far to walk.

he should also call the hotels and see if they'll provide a free shuttle to E3, and he may be able to stay a little bit further out.

hmmm...shuttle question is a good idea. He can take a cab as well, if necessary. The holida inn was my 1st choice, as I have Reward Nights points. But they are Booked. Actually, every Holiday Inn within 50 miles of LA was booked. Go figure. Wow, I hate it when 2 big events conflict like that. Here in ATL its a nightmare, and I just stay home, lol.++

Oh, if its a bad area at night, its out, as he will be leaving the room early and coming back late at night. :(

well it's not a bad area, as long as he stays on a major street such as olympic. if he stays on the convention center side of the 110 (if you look on a map, it's on the RIGHT of the 110 freeway), it's a lot nicer than the other side. i don't like walking around by myself at night, but you never know. there are bums that sleep under the freeway overpass, and i always hurry past them when we're walking back from staples.

there are no motel 6's through their search of "los angeles, CA" that come close.

eh fairydustcrissy, appears you may need a miracle. Everything that I could think of/look up/find is booked, even by spreading out a little bit. There's this crappy place by the main USC campus that's on a quick-bus line, but it's only available on the 9th (then filled, I'm sure, by graduation people).

At this point it's perhaps time to consider more outlying areas. If cab isn't an option, we can try looking for places on bus lines. Could also try looking for places near airport that provide Convention Center shuttle. But likely to run into same problem, esp. since LAX is closer to USC than CC. Like I said, 3 mos before graduation and we were already putting roomies family in Santa Monica and even that took lots of effort/calling. Is there a hotel line through the convention itself that could help?

eh fairydustcrissy, appears you may need a miracle. Everything that I could think of/look up/find is booked, even by spreading out a little bit. There's this crappy place by the main USC campus that's on a quick-bus line, but it's only available on the 9th (then filled, I'm sure, by graduation people).

At this point it's perhaps time to consider more outlying areas. If cab isn't an option, we can try looking for places on bus lines. Could also try looking for places near airport that provide Convention Center shuttle. But likely to run into same problem, esp. since LAX is closer to USC than CC. Like I said, 3 mos before graduation and we were already putting roomies family in Santa Monica and even that took lots of effort/calling. Is there a hotel line through the convention itself that could help?

:( Aww, not what I wanted to hear. We are not aware of any hotels that are affiliated with the event, and thats usually something they tell us upfront. But then again, its also usually the 4 star, $300.00+ a night hotels anyways. When they got to Vegas (every other year) they rent out the ENTIRE Venetian. ANd in Orlando, the ENTIRE Gaylord Palms Center. Its insane. Nothing we could ever afford, lol. Cabs and busses are an option. Prefferably bus since it would be a fraction of the cost. Trying to minimize teh financial strain as much as possible. Thanks so much for all your efforts, guys! It REALLY is appreciated!!!!!

hmm. if he's willing to take the bus, there are some smaller hotels down olympic in ktown that might run to the convention center. there's this one called the "rotex" hotel (it's such a rip off of the word rolex).

no possibility of a car rental? the company won't pick up the parking/rental fees?

option number 2 is to stay somewhere near the redline, and then walk down a few blocks to the convention center (the red line is the pseudo LA subway.) it is possible, but might be a bit of walk. all day pass on the redline is 3 bucks i believe, or 1.25 each way.

hmm. if he's willing to take the bus, there are some smaller hotels down olympic in ktown that might run to the convention center. there's this one called the "rotex" hotel (it's such a rip off of the word rolex).

no possibility of a car rental? the company won't pick up the parking/rental fees?

option number 2 is to stay somewhere near the redline, and then walk down a few blocks to the convention center (the red line is the pseudo LA subway.) it is possible, but might be a bit of walk. all day pass on the redline is 3 bucks i believe, or 1.25 each way.

yep, bus is fine. So is a cab as a last resort. He doesnt care too much for cabs & would rather not if possible. But he will do it if necessary. Unfortunately, since this trip is voluntary, and not mandated, they will not pick up any trans fees. Stinks. We are used to just doing whatever, no issues. Heck, usually they have most everything set up anyways. This is a new one for us...trying to do it as cost efficiently as possible. Thank for the tip about the "Rolex", lol. I will look into it.

hey fairydustcrissy - just wondering how you're doing on this and if you need anymore assistance for us SoCal-ers

Ok, well here's what I found so far. Though the Rotex is available, and within close proximity, they are asking $150/night for that week. Go figure. So I did some looking, and found a hotel that is 7 miles away. ANyone have any input on this one? http://www.travelworm.com/(0mkdes45kddhtwndec3k0zbw)/HotelsBooking/HotelSelectedPage.aspx

I hope that will take you to it. If not, its: Super 8 Hollywood

1536 N. Western Ave.. Los Angeles, CA 90027. If no one has anything too bad to say about it, I'll book it. Oh, and any idea what cab fare would be each way for that? Here in ATL, its prob about 20.00.

ETA: They are only asking 50.00 a night for this one...lol

it's actually far-ish. to get to the convention center in the morning, in traffic, will probably take him at least half an hour by cab. i don't even want to think of the bus routes. and that's on city streets. if he dared to hop on the freeway, i know it's usually jammed in that direction because it's heading towards downtown.

HOWEVER. there is a red line station at hollywood and western, which he could take to the wilshire station that connects with the blue linie, and he can take the blue line to pico, which is right at the convention center.

www.mta.net helps out in planning bus routes/transportation routes.

it's actually far-ish. to get to the convention center in the morning, in traffic, will probably take him at least half an hour by cab. i don't even want to think of the bus routes. and that's on city streets. if he dared to hop on the freeway, i know it's usually jammed in that direction because it's heading towards downtown.

HOWEVER. there is a red line station at hollywood and western, which he could take to the wilshire station that connects with the blue linie, and he can take the blue line to pico, which is right at the convention center.

www.mta.net helps out in planning bus routes/transportation routes.

Thaks! According to Mapquest, it is about 7 miles from the LACC, so we figured about half an hour. When I do a search for avail rooms, its pretty much the closest thing that isnt 200 a night!