netflix or blockbuster for online rental?

kyndig1

i highly doubt the op was interested in all this, they just wanted a general opinion on which is better

seems to me like you want a lot of something for nothing & no plan will meet your needs

I'm not trying to get into a flame, but I am curious about one thing.

How can you speak on the OP behalf? He asked for opinions, did he not? I provided my experiences, and mine includes using both, which I feel is more valid than some who have only used one.

If you haven't noticed or read, I have found 2 services that fit my needs. The In-store plans at Hollywood and Blockbuster.

I have my needs, you have your's, does that mean I have to settle for something? All I am asking for from Netflix and BBonline is that they live up to their end of the bargain. If I pay money for "unlimited DVDs" then I want unlimited DVDs. I don't want them limiting them.

If they say upfront that you will begin seeing delays after 15 DVDs in a month, then I wouldn't have a problem. They don't do this, though.

I was only trying to let the OP know everything I know and have experienced so he/she can take everything in and make their own decision based on as much information as possible.

Don't you as a consumer want to know everything about a product before you buy? I know I do and I know I am not alone.

I tried Netflix when it first started. I liked it. I was thinking about starting it again because MCI cancelled their Blockbuster coupons program. I haven't paid to rent a movie in almost 2 years. Now I have sticker shock. Has anyone had more than one or 2 movies disappear with either Netflix or BB? How was it handled? I'm worried that I wont get some of the movies and I don't want to be charged. I am always getting other people's mail and have a big problem getting my magazines and samples. It would be just my luck to have several movies in a row not make it to my mailbox.

I tried Netflix when it first started. I liked it. I was thinking about starting it again because MCI cancelled their Blockbuster coupons program. I haven't paid to rent a movie in almost 2 years. Now I have sticker shock. Has anyone had more than one or 2 movies disappear with either Netflix or BB? How was it handled? I'm worried that I wont get some of the movies and I don't want to be charged. I am always getting other people's mail and have a big problem getting my magazines and samples. It would be just my luck to have several movies in a row not make it to my mailbox.

ive never had them not get to me, & it's never taken more than 2 days from when they say they sent them out...however i've had several i sent back not received by them & i wait x number of days & report it missing, & they just mark it down as such & let you continue with another, & usually a week or 2 later it turns up...i would imagine as long as it's not chronic they would do the same in your situation, but maybe you should inquire with your post office?

Right now I'm using Blockbuster and it seems to me they are better then Netflix in the area of having New Realeases the day they come out. Netflix I would always have to wait for new movies but on Blockbuster I have never had to wait. And the turn over is very quick with BB.

I am in my first month of Netflix.

A neighbor up the street has had Netflix for about a year and rents 20 movies a month from them and has been quite satisfied.

I had BB Online for about 4 months last Summer, but their shipping was very slow. During that short time, I had 3 defective DVDs (one cracked, one with a weird manuf. defect that wouldn't play, and one that wouldn't play the end of the movie). I also had one DVD shipped that wasn't what I asked for. I guess I am just unlucky...

Also, the movies that I am receiving from Netflix seem to have less scratches on the "play" side then the ones I was getting from BB Online (some of those looked like they met up with some 220 grit sandpaper. :()

I think it also depends on where you are located at because blockbuster and netflix have different distribution areas I believe. Netflix was closer to my house so it took 2-3 days faster than blockbuster. I tried both on free trials and i canceled blockbuster. They ask you to come back after a while for a $1 and I did it again and cancelled. Netflix also asks you back for free after several months too.

I've used both. In May 2004, I joined both netflix and blockbuster for their 3 at a time plans. I quickly realized that netflix was a far better service. The shipping times were shorter with netflix as well as their turn around time. At first, I figured this was due to blockbuster's warehouse being farther away from me than netflix's warehouse. A few months later, blockbuster opened a warehouse in the same city as netflix's warehouse. This did not improve blockbuster's service. I terminated my blockbuster subscription soon after. When blockbuster sent out an email at the end of the year asking to come back for a month for $1, I decided to give them another try. At times, blockbuster's shipping and turn around time seemed to rival netflix's. This was sporadic as was the mistakes. For example, three times I ordered an episode of a series and three times I received the wrong dvd. I'm waiting on their 4th attempt.

I have never experienced throttling with netflix. During the summer I average at least 20 dvd's a month at 5 at a time. During school my rate probably goes down some. I usually get new releases the day before or day of the release if I time my returns. Overall I have been very pleased with netflix and would recommend them to anyone. I'm sure that a person's service with either netflix or blockbuster would depend upon their distance from the shipping warehouse.

I'm sure that a person's service with either netflix or blockbuster would depend upon their distance from the shipping warehouse.

I think that plays a major part in it.

The BB distro for my address is in NJ, which meant that incoming and outgoing spent 2 days in transit. But the Netflix distro is about an hour away, so it only taks one day.

My neighbor just switched back to Blockbuster since he had trouble getting new releases from Netflix. He figures he'd rather get the new releases and deal with the extra transit time.

I'm working my way through Season 3 of 24, and then I am going to go on to Season 4 and then through all 27 DVDs of M*A*S*H, so I don't care about new releases (right now).

I've used Netflix and Blockbuster. Right now Im with Blockbuster and Im happy. Netflix was screwing around holding movies up. A movie would be next in line for me saying it was in, but then they would ship a movie last on my list. Odd. Blockbuster so far makes me happy. Good turnaround

During the summer I average at least 20 dvd's a month at 5 at a time

Of course, you'll get atleast 20 DVDs with 5 at a time.

I am on the BBV Movie Pass (2 at time) for $27.99 which is cheaper than Netflix and BBV's 5 at time. I think I'll get more with the movie pass. I know I can get 28 or more. I'll go every 2-3 days. No throttling or cracked DVDs in stores. :)

I have several defective DVDs with Netflix. Atleast once or twice a month.

I just got this message in an email from Blockbuster. I'm going to go with movies only, so now I can get one every week in the store. WooHoo!

EDIT: The fine print is that instead of paying $14.99 a month, my rate would increase to $17.99. Each coupon would be good for one week only. Currently I receive 2 coupons good for an entire month. Not so woohoo to me now, as I don't know that I would actually go there once a week.

As a valued BLOCKBUSTER Online® customer, you're the first to know:

Now you have another choice for your free in-store rentals.

It's up to you. Continue with your two free in-store movie or game rentals monthly. Or, opt for one free in-store movie only rental coupon every week. That's double the in-store value! Your choice. First to know. Only from BLOCKBUSTER Online.

I know I can get 28 or more. I'll go every 2-3 days.

That's alot more than me except maybe during the summer when I change to 5 at a time.

No throttling or cracked DVDs in stores. :)

I have several defective DVDs with Netflix. Atleast once or twice a month.

Last year I might have gotten 4 defective dvds from netflix. Just this past month, I've gotten 4 cracked dvds from bb and 4x they sent the wrong dvd. It was an easy decision for me.

Last year I might have gotten 4 defective dvds from netflix. Just this past month, I've gotten 4 cracked dvds from bb and 4x they sent the wrong dvd. It was an easy decision for me.

I have no problems with BBV besides once in awhile they won't sent my movies on top on the queue. Other than that, I'm good with them. I am thinking of doing the Movie Pass every other month.

Another angle is if you have discover card, they offer blockbuster bucks for half the price in exchange for the cash back rebates that you get with the credit card purchases. I normally get a $40 card for $20 and watch 20 movies and these never expire. At regular price, each movies is double that and so it works out well.

Mal

Has anybody used Intelliflix or any other on line dvd rental services. I was reading about Intelliflix and you can pay a one time annual fee which average out to $14.95 monthly for 3 movies out at a time. I've using Blockbuster now but the turn around is slow. I thought about signing up on Netflix but I found out the closest distribution center was Duluth GA. I live in east Tennessee close to the Kentucky/Tennessee border at least Blockbuster's distribution center is closer to me at Louisville, Kentucky. I read, somewhere on-line, that Blockbuster's local stores may be used as distribution centers and this may speed up the turn around for movies. I do like the 2 free coupons per month for movies, it helps to a little degree to get more movies per month.

Never used netflix, but have used blockbuster and i woudl NEVER recommend them to anyone anymore. I never got 1/2 the movies they said they sent me, and then when i did, when i sent them back 1/2 the time they said THEY never got them, then they decided to charge ME 70 some odd bucks to replace them even tho I DID send them back. I had to go thru a lot of BS to get my money back. Check out ripoffreport.com look at both blockbuster and netflix, consumers leave their feedback there when they're not happy with companies. i left mine there for blockbuster.

I received my e-coupons for free rentals at Blockbuster. I just received two for the month. I seen all day prior to the SuperBowl that Blockbuster was given e-coupons weekly for a free rental. That is free 52 movies as they say in their ad versus 24 (2 per month). I emailed Blockbuster about this and will let you know what they tell me.

Guest RedStateGirl
On a lighter note!!LOL phew. Ok I have tried both Netflix and Blockbuster and actually the prices were fair and pretty good. Now with Netflix I never ever had a movie/DVD not show up, but with Blockbuster I had 2 never show up and 2 others were defective. But for the most part they both were very prompt sending the movies and I have blockbuster now because their rate was cheaper, but if Netflix changed their rate and it was cheaper I would not hesitate to switch back to them.

I use netflix. Well, used. Anyway..I liked it. I just never had enough time to watch all the movies. So, I cancelled. I will re-start up if I find I have more time. I neverhad a problem with them holding movies up. Mine came from Houston...I live 70 miles from there. So, it was about a 2 day turn around time. Not bad. I would mail them out on a Monday, they would get and receive them on Wed and mail out my next, and I would get my new ones on Sat. So, overall not bad at all. I loved them.

BLOCKBUSTER, BLOCKBUSTER, BLOCKBUSTER

I had a Blockbuster online account for a while. They were great! At the time it was $14.99, I closed my account when they went up to $17.99. Movies came very fast. Good selection. Plus free in-store rentals every month with the coupons you print from them. Can't say enough, they were great.

Netflix :( They SUCK! I had a two-week free trial from them. I decided to cancel it before it was over. They charged me for the next month cycle anyway. BUT..I had already cancelled the account, and they wouldn't let me check out any movies. They closed my account right after they billed me for the next month. What good is a month at a movie account that you ABSOLUTELY CANNOT USE?!? They are total crap, and I would never sign up with them again, even if they sent me free movies for the rest of my life!

So, to sum up, Blockbuster-good Netflix-bad.

BLOCKBUSTER, BLOCKBUSTER, BLOCKBUSTER

Blockbuster has started me out with a free dvd rental a week. This is a pretty good deal. 52 free movies yearly, if you pay an average of $3.00 each to rent them that would be a savings of $156 a year. I happy with how I am receivng the movies from Blockbuster. Shipping through mail is going to cause delays in receiving movies, etc. I don't expect a one day turn around but if they make each Blockbuster store a shipping place then the turn around could be quicker. I read that this may happen.