Food allergies and holiday festivities

misstaken

So, the other thread on what's for Thanksgiving dinner got me thinking….

I am not sure how to approach this year because we've recently learned that ds13 has extensive food allergies. They span pretty much the entire food spectrum and are very hard to avoid….corn, wheat, soy, barley, oats, rice, and almonds. This obviously makes eating at our house very interesting.

We usually eat at my parents' house. My mom does most of the cooking with me bringing a few side dishes. She doesn't feel comfortable cooking for ds anymore and I'm ok with that. I will make and bring his food so I can make sure all allergens are avoided. But, this is his first year not being able to eat what everyone else has and I hate for him to feel left out at a holiday.

Anyone else deal with this and how do you handle it?

I have some experience with this--dd10 has allergies to peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, mustard, peas, and spinach (she used to also be allergic to oats), and dd15 and I were diagnosed with celiac disease about 7 yrs ago, so no wheat, rye, or barley for us. It seems overwhelming at the beginning, but it's nots so bad, and your son should be able to eat most of the foods he likes. For starters, turkey is generally safe (just check the labels for any fillers). Just don't put the stuffing in the turkey-- cook it separately, or, if the rest of the family insists, and he likes white meat, we just usually cook a small turkey breast for those who can't eat wheat. Cranberries are safe, and have him choose a vegetable that he would like, and just keep that simple for him. Rolls at a little tougher (we haven't really found any we like yet), but if he like cornbread Kruseaz has a gluten free version that should be really good ( haven't tried it yet, but recently discovered their gluten free muffin and brownie mixes that are delicious!), or just have some bread for him (Udi's brand us really good). Potatoes and sweet potatoes are safe foods, so no problem there. If you have a Woodman's store nearby, you can even get a personal gluten free pumpkin pie in their gluten free freezer section, although I have not checked all the ingredients in that and it may have some of his other allergens.

I hope this has helped and you and your son have a great Thanksgiving this year!

• Like 2

Ouch. Food allergies are tough. I have a few friends that have some oddball ones (Ever heard of a mint allergy? Yep - anaphylactic shock if the guy even smells it), so I get it. When we all get together, we do our best to make sure there are "allergy safe" foods around that all of us (not just the one with the particular allergy) can enjoy. Helps all to stay included, even if some of the dishes are off limits to this person or that person. So... My best advice is to find at least a dish or two that your son can eat safely that everyone else can enjoy as well. Look at it as an opportunity to experiment with some new recipes before the big day. Include him as you search and make him chief taste-tester. This way, he feels included and it gives everyone a chance to start adjusting to his allergies while enjoying some great new dishes in the process. :)

• Like 1

Ouch. Food allergies are tough. I have a few friends that have some oddball ones (Ever heard of a mint allergy? Yep - anaphylactic shock if the guy even smells it), so I get it. When we all get together, we do our best to make sure there are "allergy safe" foods around that all of us (not just the one with the particular allergy) can enjoy. Helps all to stay included, even if some of the dishes are off limits to this person or that person. So... My best advice is to find at least a dish or two that your son can eat safely that everyone else can enjoy as well. Look at it as an opportunity to experiment with some new recipes before the big day. Include him as you search and make him chief taste-tester. This way, he feels included and it gives everyone a chance to start adjusting to his allergies while enjoying some great new dishes in the process. :)

Totally agree.  If possible look for your son to be able to eat with the family without bringing his food separate.  This way he still feels part of everything even though he is not eating everything

• Like 2

I have a milk allergy (the protein-not lactose). I get severe hives break out and general swelling.

Anyhow, my mom cooks Thanksgiving dinner and I bring a vegan butter (no milk) and almond/soy milk to use in the varying dishes. As things are cooking my dh helps my mom with dinner every year and he'll pull a serving out of each and use my items (for like the mashed potatoes and such). The rest of my family would pitch a fit if their potatoes and such had these items in it.

That being said, my sister does our Christmas dinner and forget it. I barely eat there because she seems to like to cook everything with cheese.

• Like 1

I feel bad for your son but good for you for being such an awesome mom! I also have food/diet restrictions and have to take a side dish with me to relatives' houses for dinner. I will usually eat turkey so that I feel like I am still eating along with everyone else. 

You mentioned making food, is there anyway to make a dessert that everyone can eat? This may help your son to feel included if he is eating dessert with everyone. (Plus, we all know dessert is what really counts at these get-togethers right? haha ;))

• Like 1

I'm so sorry!!!! My daughter (age 9) is allergic to sesame.  While it seems that it would be easy to avoid, it's actually used in everything from cosmetics to pastas to vegetable oil.  It's even used in soaps that companies use to clean their lines. Our allergist didn't want to test her for any other foods at this time.  Her blood test was positive, her skin test was a 4 (scale of 1-4) and she had a positive food challange pretty quickly.  She is also allergic to all trees except pecan, all weeds, all grass, 1/2 molds.  Not allergic to animals (thankfully!!!!)

I've found some groups on Facebook that are helpful. Also, General Mills and Kraft label for top 8 (plus sesame, which is good for me).  All items in the top 8 in the US are supposed to be labeled.

I completely understand the overwhelming nature of this.  We found out about a month ago.  I am slowing trying to switch over to a more fresh foods household, and my go to brands are now Kraft and General mills.  I've even started making homemade sourdough bread.  Since sesame isn't a top 8, it doesn't have to be labeled, and some companies won't even tell you if it's even in the facility  Family gatherings are going to be super stressful.  Even chex mix can have sesame sticks in it.  We always have epipens and liquid benedryl by our side.

I wish I could help more, but I just want to let you know you're not alone! I honestly have no idea what we are going to do  yet for Thanksgiving........ ugh

Edited by shay
  • Like 1

Ahh, poor kiddo. I agree with others, make dishes he likes that others can share as well and hopefully he will still feel included. He is 13, so he understands why he can't have certain things, my daughter has had food allergies her whole life and she knows that certain things she can't eat, and if she doesn't know if it has it in it to ask politely if it does, and if they don't know than not to eat it. I know it's a bummer for her not being able to eat certain things that look yummy but she knows being stabbed with an epi hurts, and we always make sure that she has lots of variety she can eat. I have been allergic to cocoa since I can remember, and it stinks when the only dessert is like chocolate cake or red velvet or something like that, so we always make sure there will be something she can eat for the main meal and dessert just to be safe because I know how upsetting it can be watching everyone else have dessert or whatever and you can't, so just make sure he has something he can eat for the meal and dessert and hopefully he will be fine.
  • Like 1

I try to always bring something special for my daughter that she likes so there's something she can eat and so that others don't feel obligated to go out of their way to make special foods for her.  Eating something different shouldn't make him feel left out.  Can you try to make one or two dishes that are similar to other dishes that will be there, that may help if you are worried.

This can make holidays very difficult but not impossible. The health food stores are very helpful in supplying foods and breads that your son should be able to eat that look very similar to "normal" foods. Also there is a wonderful website called glutenfreemall.com that you can order things from that is a wonderful source to order things from. Holidays are very manageable. Have been dealing with food allergies for most of my sons life and it can be overwhelming in the beginning but you can work around it. Please talk with people that work in the health food stores. They are a wealth of information and will suggest magazines and other websites that will provide you with additional information on this topic. Good luck and enjoy the holidays!!