Christmas Village suggestions

Tara3117

My husband has been wanting to start collecting Christmas village pieces. I've been kind of putting it off because we don't have a place to display them, but I spent some time on Pinterest and now I think I can make it work.

Now my question is, what is the best brand for these collectibles? We've just been looking at the St. Nicholas Square villages at Kohl's. I think those are probably the least expensive and the most accessible for our family to get us for gifts. BUT, I think a true collector would turn up their nose at them. Just wondering if there are more experienced collectors here who can point me in the right direction. (Also, if any of you have pictures of your villages that you'd be willing to share, I would love to see them.)

Department 56 seems to be a very collectible brand. I think many places have them but we usually look at them (starting to collect once the new place is finished) at a place here called Bronner's they have online sales also if you want to look.

• Like 1

I personally collect Department 56.  They have different villages so you can pick the type of look you want to go for but they can get pricey.  Lemax works well and you can usually get them on sale at Michaels.  The Kohls brand is also nice and there are usually some left over after Christmas at a really good price.  It just depends on what you will be happy with.  Do not base your collection on what other people think of it.  Go with what works for you. :gdbouquet1:

• Like 4

Depends on if you want to sell your village pieces in the future and how much you really want to invest.  If you want to invest yearly I'd say go for Dept. 56 if you want to become a heavy collector, the other factor is how much storage room do you have for boxes when you won't be using them.  Just another thing to consider, are you going to leave them up year long, or just for the holidays.  I can speak from experience if you want to do it, plan on being very careful with each box and taking time to set them up it can take a long time and remember that each year you add to it, it takes along time to put up each piece.  Because not only are you going to want the village pieces as in the houses, but you'll probably want to buy the accessories that go to each building.  Just for instance if you buy houses with peppermints, you'll want streets, cars, lights, and everything in the peppermint that the village company makes that you can think of to help complete the decor of the village.  Then you can start thinking about if you want battery operated lights, timers for the villages, and how you want to display your village pieces.

http://www.department56.com/index.aspx

Edited by hack2222

I have a village and it is just hodgepodge but I love it and think it has character. My kids (18 & 14) are still excited every year to set it all up and when it is all lit up, its awesome! 

I say go after whatever you like! The Kohls pieces are nice and the Dept 56 are also nice, but a little pricey. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

i use to collect these... and have a mix of brands.. i was a real estate agent , and in the beginning every time i bought or sold a house i got one.. needless to say at some point i stopped collecting , and dont even put them out anymore.. i use to with all the snow ect... maybe i should look at the site that encouraged you to start..lol. or i should just get rid if them..

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

...Do not base your collection on what other people think of it.  Go with what works for you. :gdbouquet1:

:gdiagree:  I have a few buildings for my village and I'm slowly adding people and accessories each year. The way my village is set up also has a forest area and this year I'm finally adding a small cemetery and zombies in the forest! haha So it's definitely to each his own.  B)

• Like 1