Little Christmas Traditions

femalesliealot

I'm interested in hearing about everyone's little christmas traditions. One that my mother always did with me, that i'm now continuing with my 2 1/2 year old daughter, is a new pair of pajamas on Christmas Eve. It was a small little tradition that I always liked. Just something about a fresh new pair of pajamas to wake up on Christmas morning in always put a smile on my face. So this year she's getting a pair of Dora the Explorer pajamas with some slippers.

What are your more uncommon Christmas Traditions?

When we were younger, we were allowed to open 1 present on Christmas Eve (was usually a present from my grandmother). We don't really do this right now since my nieces are still so young.

Also when we were younger, one of us would be "Santa" every year. (Took turns, there were three of us) "Santa" would wear a Santa hat and pass out the presents to everyone else (while still opening). It made things a lot more organized than three kids digging into whatever they could get their hands on ;)

The only tradition that I can remember is that Santa would come and tell us it was time for bed and then tuck us in. I still have no idea (20 years later) who Santa was, because it wasn't either of my parents because they were both there. I guess there really is a Santa :D

:holiday08

My brother, sister and I have the same mystery! It was only one year though, Santa came on Christmas Eve and gave us each a present early. My father passed away without revealing the secret and my mother simply responds with "Must have been the real Santa." whenever we ask her. I guess it's one of those things that will forever remain a mystery...unless it was the real Santa.

My brother, sister and I have the same mystery! It was only one year though, Santa came on Christmas Eve and gave us each a present early. My father passed away without revealing the secret and my mother simply responds with "Must have been the real Santa." whenever we ask her. I guess it's one of those things that will forever remain a mystery...unless it was the real Santa.

This happened at my house too...my parents don't even know who the Santa Claus was (they claim to this day ....20 yrs+ later not to know who it was) I still believe.....

Our tradition is open PJ's on Christmas eve and they each get a new Christmas tree ornament. I give them the ornament so when they are older and move out they will have there own collection to take with them!

We do the jammies on Christmas morning...they always know they're going to get them though :giggle:

I was going to start the ornament thing last year, but I was on bedrest pregnancy, so I am definitely starting it this year!!! Thanks for the reminder ;)

we made christmas cookies on christmas eve and left out a plate for santa. i remember getting pajamas when I was little, but as we got older my mom moved christmas til later in the morning because we were too lazy to get up before 9 so we just got dressed up before presents. I just bought my daughter some reindeer pajamas, so maybe I'll start that again.

We do the ornaments too. My gramma did it for my mom, (and etc etc. til it got to me doing it)

We don't set out cookies. We've always set out vanilla pancakes (no syrup, just cakes) for Santa. It kinda started because it was "something different that Santa could also share with the reindeer." LoL .But, I kinda would like to keep that going in my family.

We do lots of little tradition type activities. We sleep out by the Christmas tree one night. We watch Christmas movies together. We have beef tenderloin and creamed spinach on Christmas Eve. We give Christmas pjs to the boys. We get ornaments for the kids each year, but they get them when we put the tree up. We go and cut down our own tree each year. Oh, and dh always hides my gift. I never know where it's at, but he always gets it Christmas morning. The first year he hid it in the tree. :)

We pick out a new ornament each yr. My mom did that with us when we were growing up and I had a very nice collection when I moved out. :)

I should mention that my mom did this too....but I never got the ornaments :mad: In fact, she sold her tree at an auction last year, so she doesn't even set one up and I still don't have my ornaments :( Needless to say, I'm not happy about it at all!

Since my kids know DH hates shopping and I pick out out their Christmas presents, he began buying them their Christmas Eve presents. They know this gift is one dad took the time to think of, find, and wrap just for them. The gifts have varied throught the years but they have always been special to the kids. One tradition iIlove came from my DH's family. I do not cook on Christmas. We buy cheese, crackers, lunchmeats, rolls, chips etc. If you get hungry it's available. When the kids were little it would have torture to make them leave their new toys to sit down and eat.

We also do the jammies on Christmas Eve, its not a big surprise, but something they enjoy anyway. They both also get new ornaments each year that one day I will give to them if they want them.

We also always go to a candlelight service Christmas Eve, come home and feed the reindeer, read TTNBC and the nativity story, get cookies and milk for Santa (he has his own plate and special cup) before they go to bed.

Let's see- well we did the PJ thing, the ornament thing, 1 gift when we got home from church on Christmas Eve. Christmas morning my grandma and grandpa would come over. We were allowed to open our stockings- santa used to wrap everything in there- before breakfast. Then after breakfast we got to attack the tree.

I think my most cherished memory is having my grandparents over on christmas morning!