Perimeter Perusing at Target (Target Clearance Deals) - 2014

Brad

Both of my stores used to do it in the morning super early. Now one of my stores starts a little after opening and the other doesn't do it until the afternoon. However, that could change at any point. I find target markdowns to not be as scheduled like they used to be! So I would say just keep checking but start in the morning. I am planning on running in to check tomorrow but I doubt it will be the day. I'm holding out hope for next week, the following week I have company and don't want to be running around different targets...

Different stores mark down at different times.  I have one that is almost always marked down when they open already, the other one usually starts around the time the store opens so you kind of have to wait until they finish it all.  I would check at opening just in case.  Usually (at my stores at least), there is SOME movement when the store opens if they are going to mark down that day, but there have been years where they didn't even start until mid-morning.  (I find it best to work together with a friend if you can...one of you go when the store opens, the other goes at 10:00 if necessary).  If they haven't started by mid-morning then that usually means no markdown. 

On toy mark down days will toys be marked down when they open or will it happen throughout the day. I am trying to decide best time to be thete?

You just never know. I'd say it's about 60/40 for being all done when they open. There's one clerk here that gets really pissy if get close to her if they are still marking stuff down. It's a drag. She wants people "out of her space". They were marking down men's when I was there around 11:00. She was there too and since I didn't need anything I didn't stay in that area. Sometime I'm going to ask the manager what the policy is when they are marking stuff down. Are we free to look? Take the marked down stuff from the rack? I don't like getting the evil eye or a snicker from that one clerk.

Thanks everyone I will try in the morning. This morning there was a lot of movement in toys. My cashier told me they got a huge truck in this morning. I figure the markdowns if they are going to happen won't be until they get the new stuff up today.

And we have a ton of stuff already marked 50% off so I'm hoping for those to go 70% tomorrow.

My store that often marks down a day early did mark toys this afternoon... but only to 50%.  I stayed untill they finished and I saw only one thing marked to 70%... some game and I can't even remember what it was.  I got one lego set at 50%, but most of the legos were still just 15%.  I'll wait until 70% for everything else.    Christmas was INF.

Anyone know when the camping things get marked down?

Most stores, the day after toys. And 70% comes a week after the toys go 70%. Watching those tents, are you?

Cat toys marked down to 70 percent this morning: 

$3.58

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTewpXIiXPFPsR6xao3Bfw

Ah, man! I don't think I saw any of this stuff. I'd have liked this one. I will have to look tomorrow.

Went to Ward Parkway this morning.  No movement in toys there, but I was chatting with the markdown lady (she was in kitchen/bath) and I said, "you aren't doing toys today are you?" and she said, "Yes, but I dont' know when I'll get there."  So....take it with a grain of salt.  I may go back at lunch time to see but in looking at the toys, MOST were 50% off, so I can't imagine that those wouldn't go to 70% off if she's marking down today.

Good luck!  I'm still guessing next week. 

I'm watching the tents and the Coleman stove

What state are you in? I haven't seen the stoves, but I got one 3 or 4 years ago on clearance. Tents too, when they had the nice Kelty ones. I'm watching the knives and some other odds and ends.

Went to Ward Parkway this morning.  No movement in toys there, but I was chatting with the markdown lady (she was in kitchen/bath) and I said, "you aren't doing toys today are you?" and she said, "Yes, but I dont' know when I'll get there."  So....take it with a grain of salt.  I may go back at lunch time to see but in looking at the toys, MOST were 50% off, so I can't imagine that those wouldn't go to 70% off if she's marking down today.

Good luck!  I'm still guessing next week. 

I'm kind of doubtful it will happen today. I'm thinking next week or even the week after. They've been so messed up the last couple of years. I think next week is the most likely, particularly since they still haven't completely consolidated, nor have they started the reset in earnest yet. But I will still stop by and check this morning. Though, so far I haven't seen much I care about.

What state are you in? I haven't seen the stoves, but I got one 3 or 4 years ago on clearance. Tents too, when they had the nice Kelty ones. I'm watching the knives and some other odds and ends.

I'm in Illinois. We go camping frequently and I like have extra things if possible. I have bought a couple of tents, canopy's, lanterns and other things at 70 but I'm still missing nice stove

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Did food not make it past 70% then? Irked me that the Mickey/Minnie coffee cups were included with food just because they had ONE (probably awful ) packet of single serve hot cocoa in it !!

yeah - I broke down and bought one at 50%.  I figured the $2 difference in price wasn't going to break me.  Plus they were soo cute!

So disappointed! My Target didn't even have a spot on the shelf for this. And only had a few cat toys for 25 cents off anyways.

My girlfriend wanted the Cats Meow toy after we tried out the one I got for my aunt for Christmas with our cat. Our cat is so lazy, but loved this and looked lost when I put it back in the box. Still can't see spending $20 in it though.

I'm in Illinois. We go camping frequently and I like have extra things if possible. I have bought a couple of tents, canopy's, lanterns and other things at 70 but I'm still missing nice stove

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Yeah, I have more for camping than I would if it weren't for target clearance. No movement today, but worth checking tomorrow. Still I think 2 weeks

I didn't know about the toy clearance until a couple weeks ago, so I've never been there when they have one. When I was there today, there were tons of toys off the shelves sitting on their carts and probably 3-5 employees in the toy aisles. They've had a fair amount of things on the end caps for the past week for 30% and 50% off.

So, just curious, would they be marking stuff to 50% or to 75% with all that stuff being moved around? Not exactly sure how this works. And I noticed the OP said most toys get marked down. So what can I be expecting? from what they had at 30% and 50%, there wasn't a lot to choose from. When they go to 75%, is it a lot more?

Edited by iggie270

I didn't know about the toy clearance until a couple weeks ago, so I've never been there when they have one. When I was there today, there were tons of toys off the shelves sitting on their carts and probably 3-5 employees in the toy aisles. They've had a fair amount of things on the end caps for the past week for 30% and 50% off.

So, just curious, would they be marking stuff to 50% or to 75% with all that stuff being moved around? Not exactly sure how this works. And I noticed the OP said most toys get marked down. So what can I be expecting? from what they had at 30% and 50%, there wasn't a lot to choose from. When they go to 75%, is it a lot more?

It sounds like they were consolidating the section. They mark some stuff down all year long, but twice per year they do a major reset of each department. In toys, there are so many items, they go to the trouble to consolidate the clearance into 1-2 aisles and the end caps. This gets it out of the regular aisles so they can proceed with resetting the regular merchandise. If they have too much to fit into the designated aisles, they will push the carts to the back room and bring it out later as there is space. Yesterday they did mark a number of items to 50%, but either next week or the week after they will mark it all 70% off (they don't do 75% anymore). You really want to try to be there that day as it tends to go fast once it is marked.