How to help a co-worker with finances this Christmas?

erose630

One of the administrative assistants I work with has recently had multiple medical bills pile up.  She's a single mother with a high school age dd.  She mentioned in passing that they won't be having a Christmas this year.  She's one of the best people I know and I want desperately to help her out...however I know she would be mortified to be considered a charity case.  Any suggestions? 

I'm planning to get her a gift card but I'd love to get her additional donations - without her finding out about it...mission impossible?

Contact some charitable organizations in your city (or the closest large one) and see if they might be able to help. JCP has Angel Trees located in their stores. Call them to see how to get the teenager"s name put on the tree. Call local churches: my church has a Giving Tree and it's not just for our members.There are charities where families are "adopted" and their whole Christmas is supplied!

There are so many ways that families in need can get assistance-I hate to hear that no one will be getting a Christmas!

Maybe your business or office could "adopt" them? Instead of having a Secret Santa or gift exchange,maybe everyone could donate to the family? See if a local restaurant or grocery store could donate a meal or gift cards.

Bless you for being a friend and I hope things work out well for them. :)

All this could be done secretly-just arrange to have it all delivered to their house.

Edited by HansieDZ
  • Like 2

I would have things shipped to her home or have it dropped by her home when you know that no one is there.  You can buy gift cards online and have them sent to her home.

You don't want to risk a friendship or a work relationship by giving her name to a charity.   But that's just my opinion.

I've been in that position before and I would also be moritified if my coworkers knew of my personal financal situation.  I know she casually mentioned it to you, but she might not have wanted you to repeat that to anyone.  

Edited by AndreaInNC
  • Like 4

You could tell her that with everything she and her family have been through, you wanted to make sure they have a good Christmas.

You could give a gift card or purchase a few small gifts for her and her daughter or even make them stockings.

If other people know about her situation, including upper management, maybe you could get them involved. Some businesses have employee assistance programs or donate money each year. It would be amazing if they could donate cash that she can put towards bills or a rainy day fund as well as have a couple of gifts.

Medical bills are no fun and not just the money you owe, but the reason or reasons behind the bills. Those reasons may be still stressing them out or causing anxiety within the family. And they may still have doctors appointments that will continue to raise the amount owed. Christmas is the time to enjoy your family and have some fun. It can be hard to do that with those bills hanging over her head. I think it's awesome that you're thinking of your co-worker and I think she'll appreciate it. Quite frankly, just acknowledging how difficult it has been for them helps too.

• Like 1

AndreaInNC yes I totally agree about not telling others.  Our offices always goes together and gives her cash for the holidays and most are aware of the medical bills she's facing so hopefully that will help increase folks donations. 

HansieDZ I just emailed my church to see if I could get her daughter on our angel tree anonymously and I LOVE the idea to call local businesses - I'll get on that tomorrow!

• Like 2

If you are really worried about her being embarrassed about her situation, have you considered paying a portion of her medical bills?  You could make the payment anonymously and that would free up some funds for her to purchase her own gifts for christmas.  I recall a few years back there was a movement to pay people's Layaway balance, and what a blessing that was.  

• Like 3

If she likes to drink hot cocoa or coffee (or tea!) in the office, you could put the GC's others have suggested in a great little gift bag with a new mug and a package or two of her favorite hot beverage. Takes care of Christmas at home with a little Christmas at the office thrown in. :holiday12

• Like 1