Line jumpers! How do you handle them?

jaymacfla

I haven't really had a problem with line jumpers on BF.  Everyone has always been pleasant and respectful for the most part.  Most stores have security guards/police men on duty or some stores will hand out numbers for high demand items.  Inside the stores, they have people directing you to which line to use.  The only issue I seem to have is people fighting over carts.  I had a woman steal my cart from me last year.  When I approached her, she laughed in the face and flipped me off...LOL.  I was only there to buy some DVDs so it didn't really matter.

One way I am able to not have to fight for a cart is I carry a large reusable shopping bag. I can put items in there and not need a cart at all. (This year however I want to get a 32" tv so I'm not sure what I will do. Luckily I go with a group of 8-10 people so maybe we will designate 1 or 2 to be cart getters. ) Once BF starts in our Walmart there is no way to push a cart anyway. The only way around is by yourself without a cart. I have taken the large shopping bag for the last 2 years and it worked out well! Especially for DVD's and video games because unfortunately if your not looking people will take stuff right out of your hands! Good luck all!

• Like 2

I have retired from waiting online for black friday shopping, it has gotten more violent and way to out of hand with crowds or should I say disgusting human hoards.  Online shopping is the only way to go now someone will surely get killed this year to save 50 dollars on an xbox. Black friday jumped the shark in 2006 for me. 

I have retired from waiting online for black friday shopping, it has gotten more violent and way to out of hand with crowds or should I say disgusting human hoards.  Online shopping is the only way to go now someone will surely get killed this year to save 50 dollars on an xbox. Black friday jumped the shark in 2006 for me. 

:gd_soapbo:gd_tcrap::gdbacktopic:

Lol. Don't you just wish you could do that without getting arrested? LMAO!

That's why I camp with a police officer!

• Like 1

1 to the body and 1 to the Jaw.... LOL   Then I pray for them and scout them to the back of the line - LOL   Just kidding but I make it known. This year I think I will have one of those little horns and I will blow it to make a scene and point out the line jumper. Not sure it that will go well with the security officals so I am still working on that plan.

The last time I camped (2006 at BB) we took digital pics of the first 100 or so people in line. My father and I were 19 and 20.  We had a blast with everyone that night, and sure enough around 4am the linejumpers started to hover around the front of the line.  We had a police presence, and sure enough 3 teenage girls jumped a few places ahead of us.  They refused to leave, even after a lot of pressure.  Once the tickets arrived, all 100 of us ratted them out, and all but 1 left the line.  The remaining girl finaly left the line after the cops and management told her she has to go, and as she's walking away and we're all cheering, she turns, gives everyone the finger and says a big "eff you" to the crowd.  The cops grabbed her, cuffed her and put her in a car.  the other girls ran away.

Great way to start BF and got some amazing deals that day.

As far as what I do now, I simply don't camp anymore.  I miss it, but I've been able to get everything I want by getting to the store at opening, waiting in a short line and everything is still in stock.  I still love Black Friday.

• Like 1

No problem with line jumpers in my last 10 years of Black Friday shopping. I've done Target and Walmart different years. Target is better organized and only permits so many people in at a time with no running allowed. They give out maps to where to find the door busters and numbers for the limited items. First come, first serve. I get there 2 hours before Target opens and it's good.  

Walmart around here is 24 hours so everybody is already in and hovered around the specials which are wrapped. It's a free for all as the store associates try to get the wrapping off. No jumping line just people pushing and knocking people out of the way. I normally only decided on 1 door buster, find it and wait until it's unwrapped. If there's other items I'll go look for them, but I only plan on the one. It's a zoo so I get in and get out.

You know, you really touched on something here. Whenever you go to Walmart and the mad dash for things are over, there are literally hundreds of items that people dump in the wierdest places throughout the store. I have been rewared by patiently looking down the aisles and finding doorbusters that others did not want after waiting in line. Look in the endcaps near the registers and another place has been the electronics section for some reason.

I have found some items that were "hot" and I missed out on left in the apparel dept in Walmart.... that's where I start first when the frenzy is over...lol.. 

• Like 1

At the Target last year, they hired private security to handle the event. There were ropes directing the line around the side of the store. They had hummers parked in front blocking the doors with only the door with the rope available. Then they had another cop car right beside the roped area in the front. The only way to jump line was to go under the cars. Then if that wasn't enough they had 3 in full riot gear in front walking. They had additional 6 people for line control. Target associates gave out maps and numbers to those in line who wanted the items that were limited. Along with the maps, they gave out free samples and coupons. When the doors opened, they let 40 people  in every 5 minutes or so. There was no rush on the door. Inside they were fully staffed and had associates by the door busters helping and restocking. Target planned for it and was ready. I felt safe the whole time I waited in line and no line jumpers.

First year I had seen security in riot gear.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

This morning was FREEZING outside! (Low 20's) My asthma was effected before I even left my driveway (after running the garbage down on my way out) We stand in line for an hour at Menards....and get almost to the fenced off entrance to the doors and some guy jumps in and starts walking with us.  NO WAY! First he stepped in front of my mom who has to use a cane to walk, and my teen daughter!  I stopped in front of him moved them around him and then as we walked by security we yelled line jumper, he's jumping in.  They PROMPTLY stopped him! He was NOT happy.  But, kudos to Menards for doing all the right things this morning.  Nice fenced off area. Plenty of personnel monitoring the line.  VERY pleased with them! Plus, their new way of checking out got us in and out within an hour.

• Like 1

Most of the places around here do a good job with the barricades so not any real jumpers.  However, my daughter and I got to Younkers at 7:56 last night (opened at 8).  There was a huge line.  There was a big group of us that were standing across the road in the parking lot waiting for those in line to go in and getting yelled at by them.  None of us were moving up to the store so it was pretty annoying.  We were just standing there waiting for the line to make its way in.  However, they then opened a second set of door but the people in line kept going in the same set.  I don't really think it's jumping if they were too stupid to not use both sets of doors.  So most of us made our way in with no pushing or running after we were all standing there and commenting about no one in line going in the other doors..  I did notice that the group going in the second set of doors didn't stay on the main level where most of the big deals were, but walked up the escalator to the upper level for clothing. 

But I was very irritated at Walmart last night.  they really didn't have anyone policing the movie area like they normally do so a lot of people were sticking their hands into the displays under the shrink wrap to take movies and such and then hide them in their cart.  I did see one lady at 5:30 who had a whole cart full of the jeans and other things that were on BF who had everything confiscated by a WM employee.  The other people next to me were discussing those who couldn't wait 30 minutes to put the stuff in their cart and we contemplated taking their pics of them doing it and putting it on facebook.  They were in a public setting so no expectation of privacy and not really any different from the people of walmart sites.