Does anyone use PDAs?

gottashop2

Need a quick education. I would like to get my husband a PDA that is a step up from basic, but not ultra complicated. What is bluetooth technology? Does anyone really use them? Are they worthwhile?

Thanks for the help! Pray for our troops!!

Couple of quick questions that you should think about before getting a PDA....Are you major computer literate? They aren't hard to operate, but a lot of people buy them and then don't use them because they would rather use their planner.

Do you use MacOS or Windows? I have heard from many Mac people that they like Palm better. I prefer Windows based systems.

How much are you willing to spend?

Personally, I have a Treo 650 cell phone, and use the crap out of it. Hope that helps.

i have one that i got last year, but i hardly use it... it's a palm tungsten t3 i think...

anyway here's a link to palm's current line-up:

http://www.palm.com/us/products/handhelds/

i'm not sure what he'll need, but this one looks good for what you did describe:

http://www.palm.com/us/products/handhelds/tungsten-e2/

for info on bluetooth:

http://www.bluetooth.org

I bought my hubby the Palm Tungsten E last year for Christmas and he uses it a lot.

Seems that he knows about the E2, lol. I just asked him if he has the E or E2 and he said, "Noooooooo, the E2 is the new one with Bluetooth, wireless, and comes with the new Docs to Go version for $199."

I guess somebody's been checking, lol. Man, he's worse than I am!

I bought a Palm about a while ago... I used it for about a month and then just stopped. I love technology... I carry my iPod, laptop, PSP, everywhere but I just could not fit a Palm in my daily routine...

That's why I bought the Cell phone Palm...When I had a regular Palm pilot, it was just one more thing to carry. Now that it is my phone, I am good about ensuring that my names and contacts are downloaded up and down to the phone as well as my calendar. I just wish that it was on the Windows platform, but from what I hear the new ones will be.

Thanks for the help so far. To answer some of your questions, we use Windows, are fairly computer literate and would like to spend up to $300. Also, is it safe to assume that my Gateway desktop computer probably does not have Bluetooth Technology?

Thanks for the quick responses!!

Thanks for the help so far. To answer some of your questions, we use Windows, are fairly computer literate and would like to spend up to $300. Also, is it safe to assume that my Gateway desktop computer probably does not have Bluetooth Technology?

Thanks for the quick responses!!

Your Gateway most likely does not have Bluetooth, all you need is a Bluetooth Dongle which plugs into your desktop or laptops USB port.

With a budget of up to $300 I would highly recommend a Pocket PC PDA (running Windows) instead of Palm.

Look no further than the Dell Axim X51 for $254 (sale ends TODAY 12/7). The $319 models offers both integrated 802.11 WiFi and Bluetooth technologies.

I have a Palm and have been using it for years. Mine is an older version so it doesn't get email or all the new bells and whistles, but it organizes my appointments, keeps my addresses, and my favorite use is to keep a running list of items I need at the store. It's very useful; I'll never be without one again.

Pam

Depending on your budget, a PDA can do double duty as a GPS navigator also. I have a Garmin iQue 3600, and use it a lot when travelling. Not only do I have all me address book info, but plug in an address and get turn by turn instructions on how to get there. Most PDAs have add on modules for GPS, but with the Garmins they are integrated. For less than you'll pay for a standalone GPS, you can get the benefits of both a PDA and GPS.

We are Windows based. Bought hubby the HP Ipaq 1715 for Christmas last year (no wireless). He uses it all the time - schedules, docs, etc.

Bought myself the 3115 over the summer - wireless is slow - not really worth it. (jmho) Otherwise, I love it.

Ross already answered your Bluetooth question above, but I'll add on to it as well. If you have WiFi at home or around where you live, chances are you won't have much of a need for BT. However, if you have a BT-enabled cell phone, you might use it more.

As far as PDAs, I guess we would need to know what he intend on using it for. Prices range drastically based on what a PDA can do. If it's just for basic lists, address book, note pad, calculator, etc., I would suggest one of the cheaper Palm models. If he intends on to use it to check e-mail, surf the web, watch movies, etc. then I would suggest getting a Pocket PC model - the Dell Axims give you the most bang for your buck. Keep in mind that you would have to spend a bit of time learning all the features if you plan on getting the most of your PDA, but in the end, it's well worth it.

I use mine for a lot of things - e-mail on the go, web surfing, instant messaging, watching movies, sharing pictures, playing games, reading e-books, playing music, recording notes, and a ton of other things... I even use it as a phone from time to time. I use it so much I don't feel a need to bring my laptop/cell phone/mp3 player/dvd player/portable game system with me everywhere I go - my PDA pretty much takes the place of all those other toys. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask away.