Official Black Friday TABLET Discussion Thread

Brad

I am now more confused than ever!! I have a e-reader now that can get the internet on it and some apps as it's an android tablet, but it's really slow and I can't stand typing on the teeny tiny onscreen keyboard. Not sure if I should just suck it up and get the Surface or the iPad mini as I can add a keyboard to either one of them.

Andrea, does the tablet have Bluetooth? If so, you can easily add a keyboard. If it has a full-size USB jack, you should be able to add one as well.

Sorry. Amazon (courtesy of the Kindle) has the e-book market by the balls, and they have shown no compunction about giving 'em a little squeeze every now and then. However, you CAN get Kindle apps for lots of other devices, which means consumers can very easily choose devices that will enable them to buy Kindle books AND still read books in other formats (so it's not really like Apple).

Also, the Kindle Fire models are Android tablets, with the limitation that you don't get access to the Google Play store, and have to buy your apps through the Amazon Appstore. On the other hand, there's something to be said for having immediate access to Amazon customer service if you have even the slightest hiccup with your tablet.

Thanks for the info. I knew there was a reason I shied away from the Kindle. I'm one of those that doesn't like to be told I have to buy special programs from a special place at most likely a special price; ala Apple.

Sorry. Amazon (courtesy of the Kindle) has the e-book market by the balls, and they have shown no compunction about giving 'em a little squeeze every now and then. However, you CAN get Kindle apps for lots of other devices, which means consumers can very easily choose devices that will enable them to buy Kindle books AND still read books in other formats (so it's not really like Apple).

Also, the Kindle Fire models are Android tablets, with the limitation that you don't get access to the Google Play store, and have to buy your apps through the Amazon Appstore. On the other hand, there's something to be said for having immediate access to Amazon customer service if you have even the slightest hiccup with your tablet.

I have to disagree with this.  First, it's been Apple not Amazon that has been in court for trying to establish a price fixing scheme on ebooks.  If Amazon is influential in this arena, it is because they are extremely consumer friendly.  Between free books, the Prime lending library, their cloud storage system, and the wide availability of their kindle reading app, Amazon has made it very easy for users to legally accumulate vast libraries of books and apps.  I downloaded two complete sets of school texts this year -- very nice if you are a home schooler.

The alleged restrictions are silly.  First, the Amazon Android AppStore is huge.  The apps that are in that store are said to be tested with and approved for Kindle Fires.  There is a setting to allow installation of other software.  You can do this by running an APK on the device or rooting the kindle (creating a SU account) and installing some alternative store.  This approach makes the Kindle Fire very safe for the less technical, but very open for hobbyists.  I know of cases where Amazon has replaced a Fire that was bricked by a user installing an alternative ROM.  Of course, all of this culminates in the arrival of live online support.

You can also install the Amazon AppStore on other devices and register other devices with Amazon so you can use apps purchased for your Fire on another platform.  Jeff Bezos loves us all...

"We see our customers as invited guests to a party, and we are the hosts. It’s our job every day to make every important aspect of the customer experience a little bit better."
"If there’s one reason we have done better than of our peers in the Internet space over the last six years, it is because we have focused like a laser on customer experience, and that really does matter, I think, in any business. It certainly matters online, where word of mouth is so very, very powerful."

I have 2553 books and 1087 apps in my account.  You know how you choose among the magazines when you are waiting for a dentist or auto mechanic?  I thumb through the amazon freebies just like that.  When I am in the dentists's office or waiting for one of my kids to get out of school, I pull out my Kindle and find something to entertain me.

I'm going to my mother's house Saturday to install a wireless router.  I used the FREE send to kindle app to copy the router's installation guide and user manual to my Fire.  I'll use the FREE Amped Wireless Wi-Fi Analytics Tool to make sure I have the router installed in the best location and set to the best channel.  

For most people, the Amazon AppStore has a sufficient collection of apps and games.  For everyone else, it's trivial to side load apps and even install other stores.  There are certainly reasons to choose a competing device, but lack of access to apps is not one of them.

PS I've also sent all the BF pdfs to my first gen Kindle Fire which will be in the back pocket of my 501s as I assail the stores next Friday.

Edited by len_mullen

Andrea, does the tablet have Bluetooth? If so, you can easily add a keyboard. If it has a full-size USB jack, you should be able to add one as well.

no - it doesn't.  It was relatively cheap - like $35.00, so it's no big deal to either just use it for games or for B&N books as it has a B&N app on it.

http://www.amazon.com/MeMOPad-HD-7-Inch-Blue-ME173X-A1-BL/dp/B00E0EY7Z6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Opinions?  I'm pretty clueless when it comes to tabs.  It would be for my kids to watch videos (YouTube and Netflix), probably a small amount of game playing.  I'm a single mom to five, and can't really afford to spend money for something that ends up a paper weight!

I have to disagree with this. First, it's been Apple not Amazon that has been in court for trying to establish a price fixing scheme on ebooks. If Amazon is influential in this arena, it is because they are extremely consumer friendly. Between free books, the Prime lending library, their cloud storage system, and the wide availability of their kindle reading app, Amazon has made it very easy for users to legally accumulate vast libraries of books and apps. I downloaded two complete sets of school texts this year -- very nice if you are a home schooler.

The alleged restrictions are silly. First, the Amazon Android AppStore is huge. The apps that are in that store are said to be tested with and approved for Kindle Fires. There is a setting to allow installation of other software. You can do this by running an APK on the device or rooting the kindle (creating a SU account) and installing some alternative store. This approach makes the Kindle Fire very safe for the less technical, but very open for hobbyists. I know of cases where Amazon has replaced a Fire that was bricked by a user installing an alternative ROM. Of course, all of this culminates in the arrival of live online support.

You can also install the Amazon AppStore on other devices and register other devices with Amazon so you can use apps purchased for your Fire on another platform. Jeff Bezos loves us all...

I have 2553 books and 1087 apps in my account. You know how you choose among the magazines when you are waiting for a dentist or auto mechanic? I thumb through the amazon freebies just like that. When I am in the dentists's office or waiting for one of my kids to get out of school, I pull out my Kindle and find something to entertain me.

I'm going to my mother's house Saturday to install a wireless router. I used the FREE send to kindle app to copy the router's installation guide and user manual to my Fire. I'll use the FREE Amped Wireless Wi-Fi Analytics Tool to make sure I have the router installed in the best location and set to the best channel.

For most people, the Amazon AppStore has a sufficient collection of apps and games. For everyone else, it's trivial to side load apps and even install other stores. There are certainly reasons to choose a competing device, but lack of access to apps is not one of them.

PS I've also sent all the BF pdfs to my first gen Kindle Fire which will be in the back pocket of my 501s as I assail the stores next Friday.

Please don't mistake the points I brought up as criticism. I LOVE Amazon (and if I hadn't inadvertently purchased an extra Android tablet, I'd be getting the in-laws a Kindle this year). I was simply answering the poster's question regarding the Kindle's proprietary book format. And as wonderful as Amazon is, even a good company can make dick moves. Example? Until extremely recently, you couldn't stream content on the iOS Amazon Instant Video app to your AppleTV via Airplay; that restriction was courtesy of Amazon (of course, the fact that there's no Amazon Instant Video app on AppleTV in the first place is on Apple). Of course, they eventually did the right thing, so good on them; now they can get to work re-engineering the AIV Android app to account for the lack of Flash support in all versions of Android above 4.0 (imagine my disappointment when my tablets arrived, and they couldn't run Amazon Instant Video; sadface).

In all honesty, the only thing that prevented me from getting a Kindle was the screen size. Hell, my niece, who has MS, works for Amazon, and they've been uniformly great about her medical issues. So, nothing but love for Amazon from me. And who knows? Once the Nook has been put out of its misery (in all likelihood, this holiday season is gonna be the killing stroke), Amazon MIGHT loosen up a little on the format issue.

Im so freaking confused. My hubby is our tech person .......I just research the best deal. :) I thought he was interested in the Surface..........I think it's too much money to pay for one gift, but when I saw them on sale on BF I concurred that we could do that. However, he thinks they need the Surface 2 and I dont think there is enuf difference to warrant the extra money.

Today, he sends me a link

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/10-inch-grey-touch-baytrail-t-z3740/prod11750634.ip?cid=INT_HOLIDAY_P2_GRID_333007

It is a 64gb instead of 32 for 349.00 (which I still feel is too much money for one gift)..........but by the time I add taxes, and warranty it is 422 per tablet and I would need 2. 

Is it just me or is this CRAZY? Is it that much better? It would be used for schoolwork (one in college & one is a SR), and I'm sure social media.

Im so freaking confused. My hubby is our tech person .......I just research the best deal. :) I thought he was interested in the Surface..........I think it's too much money to pay for one gift, but when I saw them on sale on BF I concurred that we could do that. However, he thinks they need the Surface 2 and I dont think there is enuf difference to warrant the extra money.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/10-inch-grey-touch-baytrail-t-z3740/prod11750634.ip?cid=INT_HOLIDAY_P2_GRID_333007

It is a 64gb instead of 32 for 349.00 (which I still feel is too much money for one gift)..........but by the time I add taxes, and warranty it is 422 per tablet and I would need 2.

Is it just me or is this CRAZY? Is it that much better? It would be used for schoolwork (one in college & one is a SR), and I'm sure social media.

First off, that is more a laptop than a tablet, hence the price. Also, the reviews on Amazon aren't exactly stellar.

If you don't wanna mess with BF, I'd suggest http://tech.woot.com/offers/asus-10-1-32gb-tablet-with-keyboard-10

If your recipients are hung up on not getting a refurbished item, then go for one of the half-dozen+ BF deals on the Samsung Galaxy 3 for $299.

Have your hubby make a list of all the things he plans to use his Surface for and what apps he wants to use to do them.  See if these apps are available for the RT.  If so, get that.  If some are not, bring the list of apps which are unavailable for the RT back to him and ask him if he can live without them or if there are RT alternatives he could live with.

Once you complete this process, you will be ready to make a purchasing decision.

Brad posted in the eBay Black Friday thread last night that eBay will have the Surface for $169 on Thursday.  Best Buy is $199, and Staples is $249 with keyboard.  I found several keyboards on eBay (want pink) for $40-50, so that will come out cheaper than Staples.

http://forums.gottadeal.com/topic/205114-ebay-deals-black-friday-sale/

Now it is an even better deal.  Just saw a keyboard cover for $36.00 i black.  I am not picky about color...

Brad posted in the eBay Black Friday thread last night that eBay will have the Surface for $169 on Thursday.  Best Buy is $199, and Staples is $249 with keyboard.  I found several keyboards on eBay (want pink) for $40-50, so that will come out cheaper than Staples.

http://forums.gottadeal.com/topic/205114-ebay-deals-black-friday-sale/

How hard do you think it will be to get the surface?  Would it fo on sale at 12 midnight Thursday morning?  

How hard do you think it will be to get the surface?  Would it fo on sale at 12 midnight Thursday morning?  

I don't know, I was wondering as well.  Brad posted under the eBay thread he thinks the deals will be spaced out during the day.  I have a reminder on my phone for midnight.  eBay is PST, so I guess it probably wouldn't be until 3am.

I'm hoping they will last for a little bit.  I think I have final decided to get this for my daughter.  Was debating between Surface and Galaxy Tab 3.  I think she would use Surface more, maybe.  I use my Windows tablet way more than I did/do my Galaxy  And this deal is so good.

I would be fine with black cover, but I thought the pink would be fun for her.  We'll see what the best deal is!   :)

Let's keep each other notified!

Edited by bluebear
  • Like 1

I don't know, I was wondering as well.  Brad posted under the eBay thread he thinks the deals will be spaced out during the day.  I have a reminder on my phone for midnight.  eBay is PST, so I guess it probably wouldn't be until 3am.

I'm hoping they will last for a little bit.  I think I have final decided to get this for my daughter.  Was debating between Surface and Galaxy Tab 3.  I think she would use Surface more, maybe.  I use my Windows tablet way more than I did/do my Galaxy  And this deal is so good.

I would be fine with black cover, but I thought the pink would be fun for her.  We'll see what the best deal is!   :)

Let's keep each other notified!

Yes lets.  I was not going to get a tablet they each have 10" of their own, but they both are taking AP classes and with all their activities sometimes we have to cancel for them to come home to do a microsoft word document on their computers.  Having this they can work in the car etc.  I think it comes with Student office if I am not mistaken.  I also have an Android tablet and DH has the Samsung Tab2.  I would love to get this it would work out to $200  or a little over with keyboard.  :)

• Like 1

It does come with Office Student.  Nice thing is that it updates when a new version comes out.  My boys have really enjoyed theirs.  My oldest (17) is currently writing a novel with his.  (November is national novel month)  My youngest (14) takes his to school every day.  Oldest took an online college class last year, and it worked with that (he didn't use it, because he needed laptop for another class, but it worked).

If they are going to use it in the car, the type keyboard may be a little better.  The touch cover works better on a harder surface.

As a side note, we have these cases and they have been great.  I like it has a pocket in the front for the charger.  And assorted school papers crammed in. 

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Incipio-Padded-Nylon-Sleeve-for-Microsoft-Surface/productID.255932000

I wish I could get my daughter a pro tablet, either Surface or Lenovo Thinkpad2 or a 2-in-1 thing.  But her house was broken into a month ago, and her laptop was stolen, so we just replaced that.  Couldn't get the combo then, wish we could have waited and combined the two...  Oh well.  This will work for her well, to just hang out and internet, I think she'll like it.

• Like 1

It does come with Office Student.  Nice thing is that it updates when a new version comes out.  My boys have really enjoyed theirs.  My oldest (17) is currently writing a novel with his.  (November is national novel month)  My youngest (14) takes his to school every day.  Oldest took an online college class last year, and it worked with that (he didn't use it, because he needed laptop for another class, but it worked).

If they are going to use it in the car, the type keyboard may be a little better.  The touch cover works better on a harder surface.

As a side note, we have these cases and they have been great.  I like it has a pocket in the front for the charger.  And assorted school papers crammed in. 

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Incipio-Padded-Nylon-Sleeve-for-Microsoft-Surface/productID.255932000

I wish I could get my daughter a pro tablet, either Surface or Lenovo Thinkpad2 or a 2-in-1 thing.  But her house was broken into a month ago, and her laptop was stolen, so we just replaced that.  Couldn't get the combo then, wish we could have waited and combined the two...  Oh well.  This will work for her well, to just hang out and internet, I think she'll like it.

That case is very similar to what I have for my Asus.  So there are different types of keyboards?  The one that comes with the Staples one is that the same as what I see on ebay.  I was looking at this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bluetooth-Keyboard-Leather-Stand-Case-w-Touchpad-for-Microsoft-Surface-RT-Black-/310712980455?pt=US_Tablet_eReader_Cases_Covers_Keyboard_Folios&hash=item4857efd3e7

or this one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-Surface-Touch-Cover-Keyboard-Cyan-/200991922825?pt=US_Tablet_eReader_Cases_Covers_Keyboard_Folios&hash=item2ecc0d5a89

There are 2 kind of keyboard covers:  the touch and type.  These are the ones that "click" into the surface.  The type has mechanical keys, while the touch is just, well, touch.  The blue one you linked to is touch, we have 3 of those.  Husband would like type for his, but he ended up getting bluetooth wedge keyboard instead.  Which was good decision, as he uses it for his work tablet as well.  He also has the wedge mouse.  Those make a nice setup on his desk.

Microsoft Wedge Mobile Keyboard

Microsoft Wedge Touch Mouse

Here are the keyboard covers from the MS store.

Type Cover 2 The next-generation classic click-in keyboard for Surface now comes in four colors and is backlit to keep you working when the lights go down. $129.99 

Surface Touch CoverDesigned for Surface, the Touch Cover is a revolutionary dual-purpose pressure-response keyboard and protective cover.$79.99

I just looked on eBay for cases, they have a lot more than they did a year ago!  And they are much cheaper (of course) than MS store.

That's a really nice case you linked to.  Nice that it is keyboard and case in one.  When looking at cases like that, make sure it has a cut out on all 4 sides to swipe in the from the sides, and up and down.  This one does, so that's good.  The one I have does not, and it's a pain.

Just a heads up.

I started doing some research on tablets for my daughters birthday 2 months ago. I stumbled upon the Hisense Sero 7 Pro that Walmart carries. No really - keep reading. Apparently this thing is running under the radar for some reason. Its a very stripped down Android, and thats a good thing. No bloatware. Its very compatible to last years Nexus, plus has cameras and explandable memory. Dont worry about it only being 8gb as all of the music and photos can be dumped on the card. Here's the kicker. Walmarts extended warranty is $15 and gives you full coverage for 2 years including breaking the screen, dropping etc. It will also be updated to the latest software when that arrives. . Anyway, after doing a bunch of reading on forums that have smarter people than me, I purchased the tablet.and my daughter couldnt be more happy. Dont consider the Lite version of the tablet - waste of money, get the Pro. For $129 you are guaranteed a 2 year tablet, with updates, great screen, and its not a buggy $49 peice of garbage that wont ever be used. Dont trust me, do your own research on the forums or even youtube.

Hope this helps someone out.

I have not tried this tablet, but I just put two on layaway for my teenage sons.  It has really great reviews so I am hoping it will be what I they are looking for.

Just a reminder: You DO NOT need to use a Surface (or any Windows tablet, for that matter) to be able to work with Office-compatible documents. I'm not against any of those things, but you can find Android apps that do what you need (my ASUS tablet even has a pre-loaded office suite); there's no need to limit yourself.

Just a reminder: You DO NOT need to use a Surface (or any Windows tablet, for that matter) to be able to work with Office-compatible documents. I'm not against any of those things, but you can find Android apps that do what you need (my ASUS tablet even has a pre-loaded office suite); there's no need to limit yourself.

I have an Asus but it does not have Office suite.  Also DS has tried an app he got for his iphone and it wont work for him.  Do you have any apps you can recommend for us to download.  DS has an Asus also the Eee pad I have the TF300.  Both of us have the keyboard.  DD has the Acer Iconia A500 which no longer updates...