Target.com's lack of an exchange policy...grrr

outnumbered

I ordered a jacket from target.com because I loved it and it wasn't at my local Target store. I hate ordering clothes when I can't try them on first, but according to their sizing chart, a medium would fit me perfectly--maybe even be a tiny bit big, but it'd fit. So I went ahead and ordered. It was on sale and I had a coupon code to bring the price down a bit more.

Well it arrived today and it's too small! It fits but it's just a bit tight across the back and pretty tight in the arms and I know it's not going to be comfortable. So I'm irritated that their sizes were off but I'm even more irritated that they have no exchange policy! All I can do is send it in for a return and then re-order it. I called the toll-free customer service number to see if they could do anything, but the girl I talked to said that they can only issue a replacement if the product is damaged. Too small doesn't count as damaged. So I'm supposed to mail it back in (at my own expense--with a prepaid label that will be paid for by dipping into the amount they refund to me) and then within 3 to 4 weeks they will credit my card. In the meantime I can reorder it. I think instead I'm going to take it to my local Target and see if they will accept it. They don't carry that particular jacket but the website does say that I can either return it by mail or to a store, and at least this way I'll get my money back on the spot and can reorder it faster. If this thing goes on sale or if my coupon code expires, I will wind up paying $60 for a jacket I got for $40 and that just isn't right!

So I'm irritated. I suppose I should have read up on the return policy before ordering, but I was so sure it was going to fit, and I have been looking everywhere for a jacket like this and was excited to finally find one that was just what I was looking for. I wish I could be wearing it already...but as it's a Christmas present from my mom (she's sending the money out, I just ordered it ahead of receiving the money because I'm impatient and it was on sale) I suppose it won't kill me to wait another week or two for the bigger size, when I could have had to wait till Christmas.

I sure wish Target.com had an actual exchange policy though. It seems stupid for a store that big not to.

I live in the middle of nowhere so yes, I only have one local Target. I don't feel like wasting $20 in gas to drive to Nashville and return a jacket.

Yes, tags and all packing stuff are all intact. I opened the box, tried on the jacket, it felt too small, I put everything back together. I plan on taking the jacket to my local store, doing the return, and then re-ordering online--but it stinks that I have to do it that way.

hmm...perhaps call the customer service number again & ask to speak to a supervisor, & cite both the fact that you don't have a local target at which to purchase the item & that if you had known of this non-existant exchange policy you would never have ordered the item in the first place? that may put them in a bargaining mood

tho for the most part, unless the item is damaged during shipping, it's your responsibility to pay for return shipping...a way around this may be to cite that you relied on their size chart, which you found to be inaccurate

A lot of people don't read the return policy before ordering from a retailer online, so I don't think you should blame yourself. :P

That said, I never knew this and it's good to know. Their online policies are just as bad as their in store ones, lol.

BTW, maybe post the link to the jacket and someone here can check out their local Target? I am going to mine this week and could look for you.. maybe they have it in certain stores?!

A lot of people don't read the return policy before ordering from a retailer online, so I don't think you should blame yourself. :P

That said, I never knew this and it's good to know. Their online policies are just as bad as their in store ones, lol.

BTW, maybe post the link to the jacket and someone here can check out their local Target? I am going to mine this week and could look for you.. maybe they have it in certain stores?!

what's wrong with their in-store policies? ive never had any problems :confused:

what's wrong with their in-store policies? ive never had any problems :confused:

For one thing, you have to have a receipt or they won't accept anything back at all. It's kind of a pain to keep track of every receipt for everything you ever buy, just in case you need it in the next 90 days. I can understand that they wouldn't want to be giving refunds on merchandise not sold there, but if it's a Target brand, it's pretty obvious it came from that store.

I'm not aware of any other bad policies. Would be interested in stories though. :D

For one thing, you have to have a receipt or they won't accept anything back at all. It's kind of a pain to keep track of every receipt for everything you ever buy, just in case you need it in the next 90 days. I can understand that they wouldn't want to be giving refunds on merchandise not sold there, but if it's a Target brand, it's pretty obvious it came from that store.

I'm not aware of any other bad policies. Would be interested in stories though. :D

i completely understand that policy...ppl often bring things back & just expect the store to give them what they say they paid for it, but to their surprise it's now on clearance for 48 cents or something...it's really not hard to keep track of receipts (my mom keeps an envelope for each month & as soon as she comes home puts the receipt right in it), plus they can now do credit card look-up so you dont need a receipt in that case

still, it's the customer's responsibility to keep their receipt

who what?! they looked up my last return without a receipt by my credit card number.

My husband and I HATE Target!!!! We had a problem returning something once that had a reciept but was 1 day after the 90 days. If we wanted to return it we had to take the lowest clearance price, 10.00. We paid 98.00!!! :mad: No thanks! I could go on and on but the bottom line is that Target SUCKS! :rant:

Awwww -- I like their return policy. I always pay for my Target items with the same card, that way I don't have to bother keeping up with the receipt. They can just scan my card and find the item. Sure its scary in a Bog Brother kind of a way, but its just so darn convienent:gd_withst

who what?! they looked up my last return without a receipt by my credit card number.

Hmm, good to know they can do that. I'll have to remember not to pay cash there, then, just in case.

And to update my original post, I drove down there this morning and returned the jacket. My credit card will be credited the amount I paid (minus shipping costs from when I ordered) within 24 hours. Once that happens I'll be able to reorder it online. I still wish that I could have done an even exchange rather than having to wait and reorder, but getting to place the new order 24 hours from now sure beats waiting 3-4 weeks for my refund, which is how long the CSR said it would take if I mailed it back in. Plus no return shipping costs. So at least that much was nice.

Now I just have to hope it's still in stock & on sale and my coupon code still works when I place the new order.

Target can also look up items purchased with a check or a debit card. It does not have to be a credit card.

I really like Target's in store return policy ( never had to deal with online returns for Target ). I know there are some problems with it, like missing the 90 day mark by 1 day ( that stinks ), but there are so many people out there who try to take advantage of other stores return policies that I can't fault Target for trying to protect themselves.

Christine

Guest Deals4Me

I cant stand Target and their return policy.

Oh boy do I have a story on that... But I am too cranky right now...Had a "nice" phone call from Mom about little sister.... I'm half tempted to go down there and knock her teeth out and also to keep my step dad from killing her.

im sorry to say this but everyone complains about target but ultimately it's their own fault for either not being familiar with the policies, not keeping their receipts, or waiting too long to return things (if you have a problem with things breaking etc just after the return window is up, charge on amex or (i believe) visa, which offer automatic built-in protection plans)

i once bought a pair of jeans from kohls then had to return them but had lost my receipt (apparently no look-up, even tho i paid with a kohls card) & would only have gotten $3 back w/o it, but it was my fault for losing the receipt in the first place

Dammit, the f---ing jacket is back up to $59.99! I bought the thing on sale, it didn't fit, I want one that fits for the sale price--and of course the day after I receive the one I ordered and the same day I take it back, the price goes back up! ARGH.

I just sent this email to Target...I wonder what they'll do:

I am incredibly frustrated with your lack of a way to exchange an order purchased online. I purchased the following item when it was on sale for $41.99: http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=2-1/qid=1133387600/ref=sr_2_1/601-1162524-1537704?%5Fencoding=UTF8&asin=B000AUHT2C According to your size charts I needed a size medium, so that is what I ordered. Unfortunately when it was delivered yesterday, I tried it on and it was simply too tight across the back and in the sleeves. I am going to need a large. I called the customer service number and was told I could not receive a replacement; I had to simply return the item and then re-order it. So, today I drove to my local Target store and returned it. I came online to re-order this item in a size large, and the price has gone back up to $59.99! So all because your sizing charts were not accurate for me, I am going to lose out on a savings of $20? That is RIDICULOUS. I ordered this item originally for the price of $41.99 and I want to have it in a size that fits me for that price. What can be done to fix this situation?

Dammit, the f---ing jacket is back up to $59.99! I bought the thing on sale, it didn't fit, I want one that fits for the sale price--and of course the day after I receive the one I ordered and the same day I take it back, the price goes back up! ARGH.

I just sent this email to Target...I wonder what they'll do:

I am incredibly frustrated with your lack of a way to exchange an order purchased online. I purchased the following item when it was on sale for $41.99: http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=2-1/qid=1133387600/ref=sr_2_1/601-1162524-1537704?%5Fencoding=UTF8&asin=B000AUHT2C According to your size charts I needed a size medium, so that is what I ordered. Unfortunately when it was delivered yesterday, I tried it on and it was simply too tight across the back and in the sleeves. I am going to need a large. I called the customer service number and was told I could not receive a replacement; I had to simply return the item and then re-order it. So, today I drove to my local Target store and returned it. I came online to re-order this item in a size large, and the price has gone back up to $59.99! So all because your sizing charts were not accurate for me, I am going to lose out on a savings of $20? That is RIDICULOUS. I ordered this item originally for the price of $41.99 and I want to have it in a size that fits me for that price. What can be done to fix this situation?

wow, you're really not having much luck with this jacket huh? keep pressing on - if you call or send an email (calling would prob be better) demand to speak to a supervisor & threaten to stop shopping at target altogether

AAAAARGH. I got an email back from target.com's customer service saying they can't find my order using my email address and said I must have placed it on amazon.com so I should take it up with them, or else email them from the address I used to place my target order. I didn't order from Amazon, I ordered from Target's website itself. Using the same email address I contacted them. I have an order confirmation email at that email address and everything, which I copied and pasted for them in my reply. Why is this so difficult???

I'm going to be out all morning and if I don't come home to an email saying they found my original order and will be letting me order a replacement at the same price I paid, I'm calling them and speaking to a supervisor. It is just so wrong for this to be so much of a hassle.

Get on the phone, scream a little(not too much), the results may vary but it makes you feel better just to scream it out. Plus it usually helps....... I always start with "I'm not angry with you personally but I have a problem that insert company name has to fix." Good Luck!!!!!

We've also had problems returning things to Target. I have something that needs to go back now, and I'm dreading it. They're not as customer friendly with returns as Wal-Mart is (but I'm willing to risk a return problem than shop at a Wal-Mart....blech!)

Have you thought about purchasing one that does fit and then returning the one that doesn't and get a refund? It isn't ethical but at least you have one that fits at the price of the one on sale.

I've already returned the first one so I can't. Had I known the sale would end, I would have waited and done what you suggested, but when I left to return it I thought it was still on sale--it had been the night before and I left in the morning without checking again, thinking nothing had changed overnight. If this ever happens again I'm going to make sure I have what I need before I take what I don't need back.

OMG!!! I am going to KILL someone at Target!!!!! I haven't heard back from them about getting a size Large jacket at the sale price. I just checked my Target account and they have ordered me a large jacket at the current price and it's being prepared for shipment and can't be changed! That is NOT what I told them to do and they haven't even notified me about it!

I'm getting on the phone RIGHT NOW and I'm going to rip someone a new one. OMG. (to clarify, the person I talk to will know I am not upset with them personally--but I am VERY upset)

WHEW!!!

Okay. What has happened is a new order has been placed, at the regular price, but a partial refund has also been requested bringing the total back down to the sale price and then a bit under that for my trouble. Unfortunately the email they sent to me to notify of this hasn't made it to me yet. So I had no way of knowing there was a refund of $23.something involved in this order. The guy on the phone said that I will see a charge for the full $62.something on my card but within 2-3 days I will get a credit for the refunded amount of $23.something, so all in all, my total paid will be the low amount.

I feel SO much better now that I know what's going on. I don't quite understand why they have to charge me the full amount upfront and then refund part of it...that seems strange...but whatever, it's ending well and thankfully I have money in the bank to cover the full $62.something they're charging up front.

So it's ended well but geez, they need to work on their communication! I wonder how long it will take that email to get to me. He was reading it to me off his screen so apparently it's been sent--I don't normally have email take long to get to me though so that's kinda weird that I still haven't gotten anything.

And I have to say it's a darn good thing I *love* this jacket. When the too-small one came and I tried it on, it looked even better in person than it did in the picture online. Which is good, because after going to this much trouble to get it, I'm going to be wearing it every day for years!