MIL wants a Crockpot

misshayley

Keep in mind the cooking temperatures were reset higher about five years ago by the manufacturers. Many new crockpots cook old tried and true recipes in half the time stated in the recipes now.

Slow Cookers Change

as published in the Hartford Courant, Sept. 20, 2000

A reader e-mailed the Food desk to comment on a recipe story about crock-pots - or slow cookers, as they are now called - that appeared in the Food section last Wednesday. This man finds that his new crock-pot, a 6-quart Hamilton Beach model, takes less time to cook than his original cooker by the same company.

Through some research, he found that his old model had a temperature setting of 140 degrees for low. The new model is 180 degrees at low. He says food reaches the boiling point in about 4 to 5 hours.

A call to Hamilton Beach Proctor-Silex in Glen Allen, VA., confirmed that the new pots have a higher temperature on low. The change was made to prevent any food contamination and ensure that foods cook to the proper temperature.

Crock-pot cooks should consult the manual that accompanies the cooker and adjust recipes they find elsewhere accordingly. As our e-mailer points out, he has found that a 4-pound pot roast, cooked in his new pot, "is over-done after six hours on low." He compared his experience with the recipe for flank steak with gravy, published in the crock-pot story, which listed cooking times as 8 to 10 hours on "low." This recipe was taken from an older crock-pot cookbook, whose recipes were developed for the older models.

If you go in the crockpot section in the stores there is usually a sample of each set up for you to look over. thats what i would do check them out. i was excited when walmart had the 2 quart ones for BF till i went in the crock isle and saw how big a 2 QT one is..tiny so use your eyes to choose. i would say you need 4 or 5 Quarts and up one.

kathy