Official tech specs and hardware specs for CC laptop. Make life easier when upgrading

phatferd

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_outFrm.jsp?moid=1124514&ct=DS&soid=1163179&BV_SessionID=@@@@1763607093.1132420720@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccchaddgfefgidgcgfkceghdgngdgmn.0

You can see the manual, what kind of RAM, chipset, etc...If you ever need tech help this info will come in handy.

If you go to Toshibadirect.com you can buy an 8-cell battery for $100 which gives you close to 3 hours of battery life.

http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/adet.to?poid=294716&seg=HHO

Had seen this before, but thanks again. I'm thinking about the battery and some more RAM.

Ya I posted it in the laptop thread a week ago, but it got lost. I wanted to make its own thread because a lot of people bought this laptop and I want everyone to see it because I think it could be very helpful.

Not sure if they are all the same, but I just opened my RAM cover and found a single 512mb chip (made by a company I have never heard of). Now I have to decide if I want to buy another 512mb chip and hope the two are compatible enough to run dual channel (I don't know much about it) or just to skip it and buy two matched chips (either 512mb or 1g).

Thoughts?

Oh, BTW -- my laptop was set at 64mb Video Memory, I turned it up to 128mb. That combined with the 128mb "Hypermemory share" setup seems to do a real nice job even with the reduced system memory.

I know some stuff about computers and am willing to share my thoughts on those things, but RAM isn't one of them. I know how to change it, but I usually ask someone what kind I should get to make things compatible.

I also know nothing about BIOS, which is something I would really like to learn.

Not sure if they are all the same, but I just opened my RAM cover and found a single 512mb chip (made by a company I have never heard of). .

company name?

i didn't get one, but my gf wanted one and got another laptop instead, will be something i can tell her to make her feel better about not getting it if it is indeed shit ram. she got one with 256 and going to upgrade the ram herself to some good stuff.

Did you sign up for AOL and get the $250 discount?

To make a long story short, they wouldn't let me sign up for the $15/month plan ... at first. I had to argue with the associate and then manager who kept telling me it wasn't allowed (until I showed him the text in the ad) and then he went to an argument that AOL wouldn't work that way in their system and AOL would charge me the higher rate anyway. He finally caved and told the associate to do it. I stood behind the associate as his did it electronically and it said right on the screen that you could sign up for the AOL for Broadband for $15/month for 1 year and get the $250 off, so I'm not sure what they were trying to pull.

So yes, I did get the $250 off by signing up for $15/month. I think I may just cancel it now and have them charge me the $180 so I don't have to worry about it.

To make a long story short, they wouldn't let me sign up for the $15/month plan ... at first. I had to argue with the associate and then manager who kept telling me it wasn't allowed (until I showed him the text in the ad) and then he went to an argument that AOL wouldn't work that way in their system and AOL would charge me the higher rate anyway. He finally caved and told the associate to do it. I stood behind the associate as his did it electronically and it said right on the screen that you could sign up for the AOL for Broadband for $15/month for 1 year and get the $250 off, so I'm not sure what they were trying to pull.

So yes, I did get the $250 off by signing up for $15/month. I think I may just cancel it now and have them charge me the $180 so I don't have to worry about it.

I did the same thing $15 a month, but am seriously thinking of caneling and just paying the difference. The whole AOL rebate thing was a fiasco/nightmare that I almost want to just eat the $70 difference and still enjoy a great deal on a decent laptop.

company name?

i didn't get one, but my gf wanted one and got another laptop instead, will be something i can tell her to make her feel better about not getting it if it is indeed shit ram. she got one with 256 and going to upgrade the ram herself to some good stuff.

I don't know that it's bad RAM, it is still PC4200 DDR2 memory in a single 512mb chip after all, but I don't know if I can find another from the same company. I think it was Hynix.

so after reading what type of ram do i need i got mine @ office depot only diff is 256mb want to update, but need to fig out what type i need and what brand, way to confusing, i was thinking 512mb anyone know were to get one BB sales people are clueless at helping me with this, so any help would be welcomed

I don't know that it's bad RAM, it is still PC4200 DDR2 memory in a single 512mb chip after all, but I don't know if I can find another from the same company. I think it was Hynix.

nah thats not the brand of ram, hynix is just the chips.

if anybody can find out, feel free to post.

so after reading what type of ram do i need i got mine @ office depot only diff is 256mb want to update, but need to fig out what type i need and what brand, way to confusing, i was thinking 512mb anyone know were to get one BB sales people are clueless at helping me with this, so any help would be welcomed

If you know the model number, go to Crucial.com and it will tell you specifically what type/speed RAM is compatible with your laptop.

pc2700 200 pin sodimm notebook memory CL 2.5 DDR 333

is the od laptop ram you need.

already looking around for a cheap 512mb of it

that notebook should run quite nice with 768 ram.

they have several sticks of kingston and pny going on ebay, should be fine and cheaper than buying through crucial.

also

http://froogle.google.com/froogle_cluster?q=pc2700+512mb+notebook+memory&pid=4829187676307908957&oid=16050944830375799980&btnG=Search+Froogle&lmode=&addr=&scoring=p

nah thats not the brand of ram, hynix is just the chips.

if anybody can find out, feel free to post.

Actually, while Hynix is most known for producing chips for manufacturers of RAM, in the CC Toshiba laptops, at least the one I've got, has a Hynix-branded 512MB strip of PC4200 DDR2 RAM in it. Indeed, the chips are Hynix, but the STICKER from the MANUFACTURER is HYNIX with Hynix part numbers and such on it.....

Below is the whole lot of numbers on the Hynix STICKER on my Hynix RAM:

(Two rows, just as listed)

512MB 2Rx16 PC2-4200S-444-12

HYMP564S64P6-C4 AA 0534N

Hynix does indeed produce the entire PCB and chips on occasions when tasked by some manufacturers. Others, like Kingston, PNY, and the like, take Hynix chips and put them on their own PCB.

In this case, we have Hynix branded chipset RAM.....stickered and all.

I think to run dual channel, the size and speed of the RAM is what you need to match......a 512MB strip of PC4200 DDR2. Of course, you probably need to ascertain if the Hynix strip can run dual channel......most RAM doesn't have a problem, but some strips have been known to balk at doing so.

Doing some further research and I found this strip of Hynix RAM is routinely sold overseas, like in Australia and New Zealand...found several on-line stores in OZ and NZ selling this exact strip of RAM.......

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Laptops/Memory/auction-40760928.htm

http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=MEMHYN4512

These links are to two stores in New Zealand that sell this strip. I have found some ebay auctions where the sellers of this RAM say they've removed the strip(s) from Dells, Toshibas, etc.

The specs on the RAM are quite the same as a strip of Corsair ValueRam sold by Newegg.......... CAS 4, timings of 4-4-4. I have found out the Hynix is dual channel capable and should coexist well with the Corsair.

This Hynix strip and the above-mentioned Corsair strip are both on the ATI approved list of compatible RAM for their X200 video card, so that's another question answered.......the link to ATI's compatibility list is below:

http://www.ati.com/products/radeonxpress200mIntel/memvendor.html#d

Hope this info helps the new Toshiba owners in deciding how to upgrade their RAM....I just ordered a strip of the Corsair 512MB DDR2 to go into my Toshiba. I ignored the Kingston because I have just had too many Kingston products lately die on me.

I was both shocked and glad to see only one Hynix 512MB stick in mine. Shocked because I was missing out on Dual Channel Goodness. Glad because that meant 1GB goodness would be easy and cheap.

Newegg has G.SKILL 512MB 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 533 (PC2 4200) Notebook Memory for $36.83 + 3.83 Shipping

Don't See Why that wouldn't work... although the specs say "Quality Control : Comprehensive rigorously tested in single at Notebook real environment"

I just bought that exact same Hynix Ram on ebay for $39.99 "Buy it Now" with Free Shipping, Guy has one left.. Numbers as listed in his auction are

HYNIX 512MB 2Rx16 PC2-4200-444-12

HYMP564S64P6-C4 AA 0535N

KOREA 04

ebay auction.

Searching ebay I saw that the Hynix sticks were used in Sony Vaio FS770, Apple Power Book G4, and Hp Media Center Laptop ZD8000. So Hynix does allot of OEM it seems.

Last night before I read these last posts I went ahead and ordered a stick of Kingston from NewEgg. Guess we'll see if it works when it gets here. If not, I know what to try next.

Looking now (as long as the part numbers are accurate) they both are the same size of course but also have the same number of chips and timing. Hope it works!

How can I tell if it's running in dual channel and the speed it's running at?

Last night before I read these last posts I went ahead and ordered a stick of Kingston from NewEgg. Guess we'll see if it works when it gets here. If not, I know what to try next.

Looking now (as long as the part numbers are accurate) they both are the same size of course but also have the same number of chips and timing. Hope it works!

How can I tell if it's running in dual channel and the speed it's running at?

well I'm not sure about that laptop, but on my desktop you just put them in the two dual channel slots, then there is a 3rd channel you use if you are not using dual channel, for speed tests you can get software like sisoft sandra.

More info on the RAM from Here:

Model No: HYMP564S64P6-C4 AA

Designed for notebooks that run DDR2 ram

e.g

-HP Compaq NC4200, NC6220, NC6230, NC8230, NX8220, NX9600, NW8240

-HP Pavilion Notebook zd8000 Series, zd8001ap, zd8002ap, zd8004AP,.........

-Compaq Presario x6000 Series, x6050CA, x6050US, x6070US, X6110US, .........

-Tablet PC TC4200...........

-IBM R51/R52, T43/T43p, X41..........

-Toshiba Tecra M3, M4, Potege S100, Dynabook SS LX / 190, Dynabook SS SX / 190.........

-Sony, Dell, Asus, Acer, Nec, Samsung........................

I have a question about Cleaning the Trubrite Screens.. My wife already has a dozen finger prints on hers... What should we use to clean it without scratching it??

We have bunches of "Read Right® Kleen and Dry™ CRT Screen Cleaning Pads" at work that work fine on my Dell Lattiude D810 Laptop. They consist of a Wet Pad and a Dry Pad. Think they would be OK on the TruBrite?? They also make Read Right® Kleen and Dry™ Notebook Computer Screen Kleen" The Notebook ones have ~1/3 More Alchohol and ~1/3 Less water than the CRT pads according to the MSDS's for each. One vendors has

Not for use on nylon mesh/polarized antiglare screens

In the description on their website for both kinds of pads. So does that apply to the TruBrite??

All it Says in the manual is

To keep your computer clean, gently wipe the display panel

and exterior case with a lightly dampened cloth. Ask your

Toshiba dealer for suggestions for appropriate cleaning

products.

Any ideas or Input anyone??

Hey guys...I got the Toshiba from CC and then got home and purchased this from neweggg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820208312

Its a 1GB stick of DDR2 533mHZ memory.

Total: $73.82 shipped with a $10 MIR.

I can put that in my Toshiba with the 512 to make the total memory 1.5GB, correct? I can do it without any problems, right?

It'll "work" but as 1.5GB of RAM at least it should. Dual Channel won't work, at least not according to the Toshiba L25-S1193 Spec Sheet

512MB(min)/2048MB (max), 2 memory slots using 256MB, 512MB,

or 1024MB PC4200 DDR2 533MHz SDRAM 1.8V SODIMM

memory modules, dual-channel support requires two memory

modules of same capacity and clockspeed

It'll "work" but as 1.5GB of RAM at least it should. Dual Channel won't work, at least not according to the Toshiba L25-S1193 Spec Sheet

You are correct........he'll have 1.5GB of RAM but not function as a dual-channel set of RAM. As the manual excerpt you posted pointed out, dual channel function, whether in a desktop or laptop, depends upon having the same speed rating and memory size in each strip of RAM. Ideally, you'd have a matched pair of sticks of RAM for dual channel, but I've seen strips from two different manufacturers work together as long as their rated speed, CAS, and size were identical.

Then again, a lot depends on the motherboard's chipset and manufacturer as compatibility of dissimilar RAM goes......some motherboard manufacturers tend to "fudge" the specs of the chipset they're working with in an attempt to give more overclocking options, but then compatibility problems begin to crop up.

DFI is one m'board brand that comes to mind currently. There is more than one peripheral that is having compatibility problems with their MB's and no others.....such as Silverstone power supplies, some brands of RAM, etc. Usually when good quality components begin to have problems with specific mb brands, it's usually the motherboard maker trying to boost the chipset or "fudge" on the specs in an attempt to give more overclocking speed. Abit had that problem several years ago but has become more "compliant" with specs now. LOL!!

My, I do tend to ramble...........:D

If it's like my Dell it should turn on automatically when the second SODIMM is installed. If not turn it on in the BIOS. If the BIOS won't let you enable it then it's a no go.

If it boots in Dual channel mode you should be good to go. If you really want to hammer on it to be sure then download memtest86 If it survives that you are set.

I got an email from the ebay seller I bought the matching Hynix stick from. He mailed it today via priority mail. Should have it Wendsday or Thursday. I'll post my results when i get it.

If it's like my Dell it should turn on automatically when the second SODIMM is installed. If not turn it on in the BIOS. If the BIOS won't let you enable it then it's a no go.

I don't recall seeing a BIOS option for this, but it could be there. What I'm saying I guess is that I'm sure it will recognize the memory, I'm just not sure if ti will run dual-channel. That's really what I want to know.