I got the Fry's Ad!!!!!!!!!

Guest ilikebike

Well, our store is about 10 years old now (Fry's just celebrated 25 years with the Fishers opening), and our line usually loops around the building. Some of our smaller sister stores have fire marshalls throttling the crowds into the building. I'm guessing it will be much bigger than the Grand Opening. Usually Fry's stock plenty of on-ad merchandise (we don't focus on making a profit on that day, we generally come out 15% below cost for the whole day) so if the $99 pc goes on sale, we'll have around 300-400 pieces and it will last past the first initial lineup. And usually with an isolated store like Fishers/Downers Grove, we keep the place pretty well stock because we have no routes in that area to re-stock quickly.

We run a small window on restocks, and we got most of the BF merchandise in on Monday-Tuesday. There's a ton of Maxtor 300gb and 200gb drives, and the usual ECS motherboards and Sempron processors. I don't think they'll pull a AMD64 combo because of limited supply of 2800+ processors to get it to under a $100 price point. They may do a nice AMD X2 bundle though.

That's certainly an odd strategy, to come out 15% below cost. Best Buy and such will have a limited supply of the sale merchandise, and the sales people will take advantage of the high pressure to push better models for "just $100 more." (People think their best deal will be early on Black Friday, and they don't have time to get to Circuit City now that they just spent 3 hours in queue lines at Best Buy)

I was at Fry's a few months ago trying to get a Sempron mobo/cpu combo. However, at that time they only had a Celeron combo. (I had missed the Sempron combo by one day) I was trying to build a server, though, not a space heater, so I declined.

Also, someone at the Fishers store told me that they were going to put a Fry's in Ohio. (the person said it would be Cleveland or Columbus most likely) Have you heard anything about this?

Oh, trust me. They will be running $400 laptops again. And they won't be GQ's this time around, either.

How do you know? I'm hoping that you are right though.

ilikebike -

Since you work at Fry's in SoCal - what time would you recommend getting in line? I'll be heading over to the Fountain Valley store (if that makes any difference)

Also, would you recommend the GQ laptop for a college student who already has a desktop? I asked some employee's already and I got a flat out, "NO!". Are they that bad?

I hope you aren't one of the workers who is working from 4:30am - midnight. If you are, good luck. ^^

Guest ilikebike

I just called my store and got some deals missing from the first page.

Hitachi 80gb harddrive that's free after mail-in-rebate. $55 in store

GQ Linux based Desktop PC for $99 no rebate

GQ Via 1.1 Ghz 14" laptop for $350 no rebate

CD-rw/DVD combo drive $10 no rebate

17" Emprez TFT monitor $167 no rebate

Viewsonic 19" 279 after rebate

Viewsonic 17" 199 after rebate

That's about all I could squeeze.

They said no real hot cpu/mobo deals though :(

Guest ilikebike

What type of RAM does the $99 PC take?

How easy is the case to work with if I want to install a DVD-RW drive?

Standard PC2700 DDR Ram.

Guest ilikebike

How do you know? I'm hoping that you are right though.

ilikebike -

Since you work at Fry's in SoCal - what time would you recommend getting in line? I'll be heading over to the Fountain Valley store (if that makes any difference)

Also, would you recommend the GQ laptop for a college student who already has a desktop? I asked some employee's already and I got a flat out, "NO!". Are they that bad?

I hope you aren't one of the workers who is working from 4:30am - midnight. If you are, good luck. ^^

Foutain Valley has a tiny parking lot, so I'd say 1-2 hours just to find parking.

Also the GQ's are OK, but you're looking at a no-name laptop with 90-day warranty and zero tech support. If you feel comfortable with that, then they're a good buy.

Too bad there's no real good mobo/cpu deals... but Fishers may always be different than SoCal.

I'm thinking of getting the $99 Linux box to use as a server and/or mythtv box. (btw: mythtv is like tivo, only you don't have to pay a tivo subscription.) I have an extra case, but it's a full size tower. I've heard of free or cheap after rebate computer cases in prior years.. hopefully they'll do this again.

Oh wow. From all places, FW leaked it. I wanted to see if anyone would give it a shot, but I won't bother now. Here it is, straight off FW:

"The notebook has 1.6ghz amd sempron(2800) processor, 15.0 xga screen,60gb hard drve,ati radeon x200,dvd/cd-rw combo,54g wireless,6 cell lion battery,widows xp home."'

Outpost link: http://www.outpost.com/product/4635598

Thanks for the Ad! but i have a question

so is Fry's not going to have a really big sale on black friday then? because they only have a 2 page add for the 25th. The other ad is after black friday... is the 2 page paper all of their deals?

Btw- are you sure fry's price matches? because they're selling a x800 xl graphics card at CompUsa with 100$ instant savings so it 199.99$ can that be price matched?

so is Fry's not going to have a really big sale on black friday then? because they only have a 2 page add for the 25th. The other ad is after black friday... is the 2 page paper all of their deals?

Btw- are you sure fry's price matches? because they're selling a x800 xl graphics card at CompUsa with 100$ instant savings so it 199.99$ can that be price matched?

I've recieved conflicting answers regarding Fry's Pricematching Policy on Black Friday, which basically means that if you're adamant enough, you'll get away with it. (I've pulled off a pricematch to BB without an ad and without them even confirming the price before -- and no, I didn't lie about the price. :))

And Fry's will be releasing a full ad (eight pages, I believe?) on Friday. They should, anyway. I haven't heard anything that would say otherwise.

Guest ilikebike

Sorry, what I meant was that we will price match our own prices, not other stores if they are in "limited time, limited quantities, while supplies last, after rebates", etc..

Guest ilikebike

Our BF ads have always been a 2 pager. The weekend ad is always the 8 pager.

Our ads are part of the newspaper circular and are not seperate flyers. That's why no one gets "scans" in advance

BTW, page 1 is online

http://shopping.ocregister.com/ROP/Ads.aspx?advid=179018&adid=2273742