Projector Thread

T0mmy

Not sure if I'm the only one wanting a projector to set up a home theater, but I haven't seen anyone else post aobut it. There's 3 different projectors at 4 stores for under $500.

Best Buy - Toshiba TDP-S26U - $450AR ($350 in rebates)

Office Max - Infocus X1a - $500AR ($100 in rebates)

Circuit City - Infocus X1a - $500 (no rebates)

Comp USA - Optoma EP716 - $500AR ($200 in rebates)

I'm really unsure which one to get. I initiall thought the Toshiba since that's the best brand I thought, and it's got the highest regular price, but in the BB info section it doesn't say it can display 16:9 which is very important to me. I'm looking for advice or just curious who else is looking to get one. Not sure if this is sticky worthy since I seem to be the only one interested in a projector.

don't you have to run all or most of these through a computer output...? I'm interested but thats the thing that turned me off after reading the specs. I was reading earlier that the optoma is a better picture than the toshiba.

Toshiba has:

1 RCA, 1 S-video, 1 mini D-sub 15 (shared with RGB signal), 1 stereo mini jack, 2 RCA for video, 2 RCA for S-video, 2 RGB

Optoma has:

VGA monitor loop-through, 2 RGB, S-video, composite video, component video, serial, audio mini jack inputs

Not sure about the infocus since CC and OM don't have that in their product description, but I'm sure it has s-video at least.

Disclaimer: I am posting this opinion based on four months of online research, and not any first hand experience (unfortunately).

If you are looking primarily for home theater performance, then the refurb Infocus SP4805 at Staples is likely your best choice. People rave about this machine so much that they have convinced me, and I would absolutely be getting it myself if I could get my room geometry to work (which I can't). In fact, it's such a good price I'm still tempted to get it just to TRY to get it to work. Also, it's the only one that is native 16:9 aspect ratio (the others may or may not do it, but are primarily built for 4:3).

The X1a would be the second choice as this has alot in common with the 4805, and I think many have used this for home theater. The others are primarily business projectors.

I have the infocus 4805SP and it is a great projector. 16:9. Auto-detects incoming video source. Lots of connections. Very quiet. Rated best by Consumer Reports for entry level home theater projector and I agree 100% These other projectors are more industrial work horse models. You would be wanting to upgrade soon after getting one.

I don't have a staples within 50 miles of me, in fact, I don't think there is one in the whole state of Minnesota. That projector does seem nice, but unless it's available online, I have to choose from the other 3. I thought that the X1a had gotten mixed reviews so I was leaning twards the optoma EP716, but I cannot find much for information or reviews onthis projector.

Infocus SP4805 Remanufactured DLP Projector - $499.98 AR

It's on the 17th line down. After doing research this is definetly the best projector for <$500, which sucks cause I can't get one unless they make them available online. What states are Staples located in? I tried to check on their web site, but you have to put in a zip code to find one. I wish they just had a map you could look at.

I have the infocus 4805SP and it is a great projector. 16:9. Auto-detects incoming video source. Lots of connections. Very quiet. Rated best by Consumer Reports for entry level home theater projector and I agree 100% These other projectors are more industrial work horse models. You would be wanting to upgrade soon after getting one.

We sell this projector where I work and it's by far the most popular.

We also sell the optoma.

We sell this projector where I work and it's by far the most popular.

We also sell the optoma.

Have any more input on the Optoma? For people like me that can't buy the Infocus, I'd appreciate some input. I can't find # of segemnts or speed for the color wheel on any of these except the 4805 (which has 4 segments). I'm a little worried about the rainbow effect, and if it has it, I'd have to return the projector, and at that time, I couldn't get another for a price close to that.

This is VERY simple.

If all your going to be going is watch movies and videos then the sp4805 is the clear choice.

If you want to do both watch movies and hook up to your PC then the Optoma is the winner out of the rest of them. Im not going to get into detail of why, just know this is coming from a projector expert. You guys/gals really seem to know nothing about the most important aspecs of these units such as naive resolution, color wheel information, color wheel segment info. lumens, C.R., dbl level of each, ect ect ect...

This is VERY simple.

If all your going to be going is watch movies and videos then the sp4805 is the clear choice.

If you want to do both watch movies and hook up to your PC then the Optoma is the winner out of the rest of them. Im not going to get into detail of why, just know this is coming from a projector expert. You guys/gals really seem to know nothing about the most important aspecs of these units such as naive resolution, color wheel information, color wheel segment info. lumens, C.R., dbl level of each, ect ect ect...

Just a bit hostile don't ya think? If you took the time to read all the posts, you would realize the posters in the thread are ASKING for that info?!?! :insane:

Instead of proclaiming your greatness, why not be usefull and provide said information?!?! :rolleyes:

Before buying any of these, please make sure you are not affected by the rainbow effect. If you are, your viewing experience will be greatly reduced. Consumer level DLP projectors have a spinning color wheel with a single DLP chip. This is much cheaper than including three seperate DLP chips. So, if you can, take your whole family to somewhere that sells DLP projectors and watch it for about 10 minutes. If anyone in your family sees flashes of color, do not get a DLP projector. (the faster "4x" color wheels are such that a lesser percentage of the population sees the rainbow effect, so even if you can see the rainbow effect on 2x color wheels, you may not be able to see it on a 4x color wheel DLP.)

Okay, I'll admit I'm totally stupid when it comes to projecters...having said that we really want one. We have looked at several brands at Sam's and the cinego at Radio Shack. We don't want to hook it through a computer and I don't think you have to on any of these. So, I still should get the one from Staples? Can you watch your regular cable on it? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks for starting this thread!

Lisa

Okay, I'll admit I'm totally stupid when it comes to projecters...having said that we really want one. We have looked at several brands at Sam's and the cinego at Radio Shack. We don't want to hook it through a computer and I don't think you have to on any of these. So, I still should get the one from Staples? Can you watch your regular cable on it? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks for starting this thread!

Lisa

It does not have any type of TV tuner. I'm sure ll of these have RCA, S-video, and probably component and DVI inputs for video, so you can hook them up any of those ways. If you want to watch regular TV, you'd need a cable box that has RCA or one of the other inputs that your projector has out to hook it up. I would definetly get the Infocus SP4805. It is definetly the best out of the 4 available for <$500. The real question is, if you can't get that one, which of the remaining 3 is the best?

We don't want to hook it through a computer and I don't think you have to on any of these. So, I still should get the one from Staples? Can you watch your regular cable on it? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks for starting this thread!

Lisa

All but the InFocus at Staples ONLY have RGB (computer), S-Video, or Composite Video inputs. Watching any kind of moives from a DVD player via S-Video will NOT be pleasent on a very large screen due to the very limited resolution of S-Video. The InFocus has Component inputs which will allow it to display much sharper images...IF your DVD player has that output.

Can you watch regular cable on any of the projectors? That all depends upon your equipment. If you don't have a cable\satallite box and only have a Coax (single black cable) from your wall to your TV, then NO you will not be able to use any of these projectors. (None of them have TV tuners). You could use a VCR as a tuner and hook it to any of these projectors IF the VCR has Composite output. However be forwarned, a "decent" picture on a 27" TV will look simply horrible on a 90" screen especially via Composite output.

Hope this helps! :)

I got my Staples ad this morning in my inbox, and you should be able to order the SP4805 online. In fact, it looks like no stores will actually carry this model, but instead they just place the order for customers as well. Of course, the one catch is that these are remanufactured units (not new...those are still $1K), but this does at least offer an option to those who don't have a Staples nearby.

I have my SP4805 connected to HD cable via DVI and the rest of my video sources (xbox, dvd recorder, vhs) through my Yamaha reciever which upconverts (if necessary) incoming video to component, and sends it to the projector's component inputs. Note in the link below this unit has a :yelclap:6 segment color wheel, not 4. I am pretty picky about picture and I have never noticed "rainbow effect" nor has my family. I think you should be sure you can return without problem and then test in your own home to be sure. Just don't compare a lesser projector to this one for "rainbow effect".

Got mine on a fantastic deal from Shop at Home one day when I was flipping through the channels on TV a few months ago. $1299 :) including electric screen. Now get 127" diagonal picture for watching movies, and gaming. Looks great for HDTV too! Regular TV looks very good, but not sure how it would look if connected directly to svideo or composite inputs because I never used it that way. The SP4805 will make you happy and keep you happy. As I said before, these other projectors are for industrial workhorse use and the SP4805 is for home use.

http://www.infocushome.com/amer/eng/products/screenplay/sp4805.asp

Now I am a bit worried. If there are no instore units, and they are only taking orders....what guarentee do I have I will get one?

Also, the online price is 599$. Will there be a one day only 100$ rebate in store available? Will this rebate be made avaiable to online shoppers?

Now I got my panties in a bunch. :(

Now I am a bit worried. If there are no instore units, and they are only taking orders....what guarentee do I have I will get one?

Also, the online price is 599$. Will there be a one day only 100$ rebate in store available? Will this rebate be made avaiable to online shoppers?

Now I got my panties in a bunch. :(

AS far as I can tell, you'll get the $100 rebate online as well. I wouldn't worry so much about it, the projectors aren't that hot of an item yet. I plan on ordering it as soon as you can, just need to find out how early you can order them online.

I have my SP4805 connected to HD cable via DVI and the rest of my video sources (xbox, dvd recorder, vhs) through my Yamaha reciever which upconverts (if necessary) incoming video to component, and sends it to the projector's component inputs. Not in the link below this unit has a :yelclap:6 segment color wheel, not 4. I am pretty picky about picture and I have never noticed "rainbow effect" nor has my family. I think you should be sure you can return without problem and then test in your own home to be sure. Just don't compare a lesser projector to this one for "rainbow effect".

Got mine on a fantastic deal from Shop at Home one day when I was flipping through the channels on TV a few months ago. $1299 :) including electric screen. Now get 127" diagonal picture for watching movies, and gaming. Looks great for HDTV too! Regular TV looks very good, but not sure how it would look if connected directly to svideo or composite inputs because I never used it that way. The SP4805 will make you happy and keep you happy. As I said before, these other projectors are for industrial workhorse use and the SP4805 is for home use.

http://www.infocushome.com/amer/eng/products/screenplay/sp4805.asp

Funny!! this is where I work!

Disclaimer: I am posting this opinion based on four months of online research, and not any first hand experience (unfortunately).

If you are looking primarily for home theater performance, then the refurb Infocus SP4805 at Staples is likely your best choice. People rave about this machine so much that they have convinced me, and I would absolutely be getting it myself if I could get my room geometry to work (which I can't). In fact, it's such a good price I'm still tempted to get it just to TRY to get it to work. Also, it's the only one that is native 16:9 aspect ratio (the others may or may not do it, but are primarily built for 4:3).

The X1a would be the second choice as this has alot in common with the 4805, and I think many have used this for home theater. The others are primarily business projectors.

I've been trying to decide between the Optoma and X1A and had decided on the X1A due to it's bulb ($300 to replace) life being rated twice as high (4000 vs 2000) hours. The negative was the X1A is 1100 Lumens while the Optoma is 1800 Lumens. I see the SP4805 is only 750 Lumens. Is it the native 16:9 ratio that makes the SP4805 better than the X1A (X1A supports 16:9-but it's not native) or something else?

I've been trying to decide between the Optoma and X1A and had decided on the X1A due to it's bulb ($300 to replace) life being rated twice as high (4000 vs 2000) hours. The negative was the X1A is 1100 Lumens while the Optoma is 1800 Lumens. I see the SP4805 is only 750 Lumens. Is it the native 16:9 ratio that makes the SP4805 better than the X1A (X1A supports 16:9-but it's not native) or something else?

X1A No HD input = :( grainy picture + the larger you make your projection, the grainier it will be. "16:9 support" means you will have letterbox bars:( and/or missing picture data while projecting 16:9 sources. The X1A does not list number of segments :confused: (on infocus web site)in color wheel. This is very important for rainbow effect which is very noticable in 2 & 4 Seg wheels. SP4805 = HD input:) , 16:9 native:) , & 6 seg color wheel:D .

If you are hoping for a big screen experience with the X1A, just don't expect enjoy it much above the 4' - 5' diagonal measurement. With SP4805 I get great picture with 10' 7" diagonal.

I would get EDTV 42" plasma before X1A.

X1A No HD input = :( grainy picture + the larger you make your projection, the grainier it will be. "16:9 support" means you will have letterbox bars:( and/or missing picture data while projecting 16:9 sources. The X1A does not list number of segments :confused: (on infocus web site)in color wheel. This is very important for rainbow effect which is very noticable in 2 & 4 Seg wheels. SP4805 = HD input:) , 16:9 native:) , & 6 seg color wheel:D .

If you are hoping for a big screen experience with the X1A, just don't expect enjoy it much above the 4' - 5' diagonal measurement. With SP4805 I get great picture with 10' 7" diagonal.

I would get EDTV 42" plasma before X1A.

OHHH NOOO....just when I thought I had my mind made up....Hmmmm.....I'm just worried about the 750 lumens but otherwise seems to be worth the $100 more than the X1A even if I couldn't get the rebate online. I have a Sony VPH-1252Q now that is a big monster that isn't that bright during the day. But if the 4805 isn't that much brighter then???.....decisions...decisions.....

:confused:

InFocus 4805 Digital DLP Projector (Refurbished) is availabe online at Staples now at $599.99

About Lumens it says "750 Video Optimized Lumens "

I have heard that for home theaters it is 1000 Lumens is the least recommended. Does Video Optimized Lumens mean something different ??

Is it comparable to regular 1000 Lumens ?

I'm wondering the same things about the lumens but also I'm reading the contrast ratio is 16:9 and when I look at the ad I'm seeing 2000:1.

HELP! Are the lumens to low and am I missing something on the ratio. Also does anyone know what size screen to buy?

Thanks!

Lisa:confused: