Amazon and tax

jw109

Have I been hiding under a rock? But seriously, I have obviously missed something because I just noticed Amazon was now charging tax on all the items I purchase. I noticed it when I signed up for Prime and I don't know if that is a coincidence or what..

They charge tax if there is a Amazon warehouse in your state.

Before they opened new locations people were suppose to pay this tax on their own when income taxes were filed at the beginning of the year.

Gotcha. thank you for the clarification.

Jen

If you purchase from another seller but fulfilled by Amazon you don't get charged tax so that is what I have been doing, still get to use my Prime but no tax if I can find another seller.

Have I been hiding under a rock? But seriously, I have obviously missed something because I just noticed Amazon was now charging tax on all the items I purchase. I noticed it when I signed up for Prime and I don't know if that is a coincidence or what..

The tax they do charge should be less than what you would have paid in a store though right? I know I save 3% with Kohl's online because I don't have to pay the city tax that would be added in stores.

I haven't heard of them charging local (city or county) taxes yet so it could be cheaper if you have those in your area.

Depends on the state. Indiana will start charging tax on all internet orders in 2014 thanks to a new state law.

They're trying to get it moved up to July '13 now!

Oddly enough,I did notice I was charged .56 tax on some item the other day.

First time for that.