What's on the menu?

Firemansgal311

Just wondering what everyone was cooking this Thanksgiving. How many guests and how you celebrate.

We are getting together on thanksgiving at the MIl's house and having roast turkey sandwiches. Our big dinner will be on Saturday when we get home from Tennessee (have to go back to get our two oldest from the ex they are spending thier fall break there) and MIL's sisters and family will be in from Trinidad, Waco, and Austin.

Right now most of the menu is still unclear I know we will have turkey, ham, dressing, potatoes, potato salad, veggies, deviled eggs, rolls and for the desserts we will have a double layer devils food cake with chocolate ganache icing, Japanese pie, triple layer pumpkin pie, Coconut cream pie./

everything else is still up in the air tho, We will have to wait til the inlaws get here to see what else we are having. We are looking at around 30 people total. This is my first Thanksgiving in Texas!

Mandy

TX

:violin:

Right now most of the menu is still unclear I know we will have turkey, ham, dressing, potatoes, potato salad, veggies, deviled eggs, rolls and for the desserts we will have a double layer devils food cake with chocolate ganache icing, Japanese pie, triple layer pumpkin pie, Coconut cream pie./

No guests or family here. Just me & my 6 yr. old daughter. Hopefully having turkey.

(IF I don't mess it up. :D)

I have to ask - WHAT is Japanese pie?

We are having the traditional:

Roasted Turkey, Fried Turkey, Corn, Green bean cassarole, Stuffing, rolls, pumpkin pie, apple pie, and something anyone thats not from eastern PA, NJ, or long island would know what it is but water ice (most call it slush or icee) but a place near us that makes it from scratch made me pumpkin pie and apple cinnamon spice.

Merry Christmas and Hapy New Year!

I have to ask - WHAT is Japanese pie?

Japanese pie is kindof like the traditional pecan pie with a few extras.

You make it basically the same eggs, cornsyrup, sugar etc.. just add some choc chips and coconut and raisins. Everyone loves it including the kids who wouldn't eat a traditional pecan pie because of the raisins and chocolate.

I also want to make a vinegar pie but I don't think I can get anyone down here to eat it. Vinegar pie is a depression era lemon pie while that war was going on there was a ration on lemons and some very creative lady came up with using vinegar as a substitute. There is a place in Tennessee that servs this pie all year round. It is called Clinch Mountain Market I believe. this shop sits right on top of Clinch Mountain on hwy 25 in between Bean Station and Tazewell TN. I really like the pie hubby is wierd and had alot of things he won't eat (we won't go intothis one)and won't even try it. But If you like Lemon merangue you will like Vinegar pie also.

Mandy

TX

:yelclap:

We're staying home - so just my husband, myself and our three kiddos.

We're having the regular stuff - turkey, stuffing, rolls, pumpkin pie, potatoes, corn, and now I am drawing a blank.. there will be more. I am hoping DH makes his famous deviled eggs as well. :P

Turkey; vegetable pie (for brother's vegetarian gf), baked squash; mashed taters; fruit salad, rolls; 3 big veggie trays with fun dips/sauces; chocolate cream, cherry, apple, lemon merangue and pumpkin pies; carot raisin salad; deviled eggs; some nasty Jello concoction; chocolate chip cookies and snickerdoodles.

And some tuaca & cider and pumpkin milkshakes.

not too much.i am trying to diet.i am the only one who eats mashed or sweet potatoes.so i just made a 1 quart bowl of sweet potatoes.turkey of course,making lasagna for S/O cause he said i tried to kill him one year with "Tainted Turkey" LOL,corn salad,trying my hand at making stuffed mushrooms(tried it last night and he said they were pretty good)rolls,made buicuits and gravy for breakfast for him,i rubbed butter and cajun spice on the bird,chocolate martinis for me (YUM) pumpkin custard pie and coconut custard pie reg cool whip and french vanilla cool whip,chocolate chip and pnut butter cookies. i decided not to knock myself out this year:bunny:

turkey

ham

chicken and dumplings

pineapple cheese rolls

sausage balls

chicken salad finger sandwiches

dressing

mashed potatoes and gravy

macaroni and cheese

zuchinni casserole

collards

peas and butterbeans

candied yams

crescent rolls

pumpkin pies

boston cream pie

carrot cake

13 people total and I have to turn around and cook it all over again for Christmas.

Hubby called his cousin last night to find out what she is having. Turkey, corn, green bean casserole, and a brownie cheesecake. I swear I don't know what I was thinking when I married a Mexican...lol. I went out and bought cranberry sauce and a pumpkin pie this morning. Guess I'll have to come home and make mashed potatoes too.

Every year I eat Thanksgiving dinner with a friend and her mom. The mom believes, as did her Italian mother, that guests must be stuffed until they're ready to pass out. Sure enough, after two hours of stuffing myself I waddled home and passed out. The turkey weighed 20 pounds. There were baked sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, squash halves baked with maple syrup, sausage/onion/apple dressing, green beans, green peas, congealed salad, cranberry sauce with mandarin orange slices, rolls, and apple and pecan pies. There was enough to feed at least 15 people. But there were five of us. I was sent home with a huge plate of leftovers and am still stuffed.