Wal-mart screwed up. Insider Info

Cwilliams

I was at the Beloit Wi Super center and was talking with a good friend of mine who works in the shipping recieving department. Somehow the beloit store got all the 199.00 kodak cameras that Janesville and Stoughton were suppose to get. But Janesville got all the computers that beloit and stoughton were suppose to get. I asked what they were going to do and he said the store managers are going to leave it alone and post a flyer on the doors at 4.45 that they have none, directing customers to the nearest store with them. He said there is alot of stores out there that got there orders all mixed up. Someone screwed up. Hope this helps.

Do the ads mention any minimum? Legally if they have none they may be in hot water on BF. If something is listed in an ads as on sale and they don't have it then it is false advertising. I think these managers are making an expensive mistake.

That is true. If the ads state a minimum, then the store doesn't have the minimum number of products, it could be considered a "bait and switch," which would violate your state's DTPA (or equivalent). Of course, whether anyone would actually file suit is a different story.

If they know this now they'd better post it thanksgiving eve. Otherwise there's gonna be a riot if they wait that long since none of those people in line will be able to get in another line somewhere else. Just imagine 100s of customers coming off of no sleep whatsoever suddenly getting all screwed. It won't be pretty.

That is true. If the ads state a minimum, then the store doesn't have the minimum number of products, it could be considered a "bait and switch," which would violate your state's DTPA (or equivalent). Of course, whether anyone would actually file suit is a different story.

It sounds like maybe somebody in WI should tip off their AG or their state's consumer protection agency to this possible problem.

In these litigious times, if this possible problem turns out to be a widespread real problem, you can almost bet on some people bringing suit. You can also bet that the state government(s) would go after them as well (especially in states where WM isn't so welcome). Even some of the BEST stores can BUY themselves governmental trouble with bait and switch issues and similar other consumer protection issues. Sadly the legal issues might pale in comparison to the practical problem of hundreds of tired, angry and frustrated shoppers.

Let's just hope this gets resolved by BF or that it isn't actually accurate. I've heard many complaints about WM, but shipping and logistics wasn't one of them, so let's hope that maybe someone simply heard wrong!

Has anyone seen the actual add? I am now wondering myself what is says about quanitys on hand. I know I saw the pallets of cameras for 199.00 I do not know how many they are suppose to get but they had like six full pallets of them. That seems like alot for one store to get of a door buster Item. Also I should clarify myself that the computer I was talking about is the desktop not the laptop. Also I trying to call him as I would like to know if any thing has changed. I will post after I hear from him again.

Doesn't make much sense. If they already know about it, it gives them plenty of time to transfer the stock to the correct store.

That is what I was thinking. You mean in a week they can't get the items from one to the other? That's a bunch of crap. They are just bein lazy and I hope it doesn't come back to bite them in the butt.

I know at TRU if we get another store's shipment we have to contac the DC ( distrubition center ) (SP) and they tell us whether or not to keep it or send it back so they can send it to another store. If it is BF stuff and the store was close by they would probably tell a manager to come get it from our store.:groovin:

In NY Spitzer doesnt care he goes after them all.

Amen. AG Spitzer brought Wall St (among others) to justice, do you really think that Walmart scares him?

Also, while WM wins most of the time, they don't win all of the time. With all the recent bad press (or smear campaign, depending on your point of view) do you thing some other AG looking to make name for themselves wouldn't take a shot at "big bad" WM in the name of consumer protection? (except for maybe Arkansas)

They'll have a riot on their hands!!! They'd better announce the mistake WAY before 4:45. What's the chances of running to another store at that time and actually getting one. I'm not in that area and hope it's not a problem in my area, but I know I'd really be ticked if it was.

Walmart can quickly get their stores open after devistatting hurricanes and can be an example to FEMA on how to get necessary supplies to the impending disaster area before the hurricane hits but can't figure out how to load a couple of trucks with the mistakenly shipped items and take them to where they belong?

Doesn't sound like Walmart to me! I hope they can use their ingenuity to fix the problem.

Amen. AG Spitzer brought Wall St (among others) to justice, do you really think that Walmart scares him?

Also, while WM wins most of the time, they don't win all of the time. With all the recent bad press (or smear campaign, depending on your point of view) do you thing some other AG looking to make name for themselves wouldn't take a shot at "big bad" WM in the name of consumer protection? (except for maybe Arkansas)

No, I don't see that happening in Arkansas.

I'm glad I don't live in that state.. If the AG is going to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars of YOUR money on a lawsuit when legally all they have to do is compensate the very first person in line (1 computer minimum for it to be in the ad).

This is straight from the walmart ad

"It is our firm intention to have every advertised item in stock. Occasionally, however, an advertised item may not be available for purchase due to unforseen difficulties. If this happens, Wal-Mart will sell you a similar item at a comparable price (or reduction in price if the item is on sale). Or if you prefer we will issue a raincheck at your request so you may purchase the item (ECLUDING SPECIAL BUY-ONE TIME OFFERS) at the advertised price when the item becomes available. We reserve the right to limit quantities to normal retail purchases."

They have covered themselves. All they have to do is take an average 6 hours during any other sale during the year and see how many laptops they sell, (maybe 2 on average) and compensate those first 2 people in line.

Sorry. Those are the facts. CC here I come.

I'm glad I don't live in that state.. If the AG is going to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars of YOUR money on a lawsuit when legally all they have to do is compensate the very first person in line (1 computer minimum for it to be in the ad).

This is straight from the walmart ad

"It is our firm intention to have every advertised item in stock. Occasionally, however, an advertised item may not be available for purchase due to unforseen difficulties. If this happens, Wal-Mart will sell you a similar item at a comparable price (or reduction in price if the item is on sale). Or if you prefer we will issue a raincheck at your request so you may purchase the item (ECLUDING SPECIAL BUY-ONE TIME OFFERS) at the advertised price when the item becomes available. We reserve the right to limit quantities to normal retail purchases."

They have covered themselves. All they have to do is take an average 6 hours during any other sale during the year and see how many laptops they sell, (maybe 2 on average) and compensate those first 2 people in line.

Sorry. Those are the facts. CC here I come.

The original point was that the AG or other consumer affairs type people could investigate this early next week to see if the reports are accurate, and if so, what if anything is being done to correct it. In the unlikely event that this has happened AND nothing is being done to correct it, WM could have some problems, which the AG or others could strongly encourage them to fix. Ideally all it takes is a phone call from the right people and things get fixed.

Since you elected to throw out WM's daily sales and budget as if we should all bow before the behemoth, some of us were just advising you that there are still people, such as AG Spitzer, who are not intimidated in the least. (Actually some might say that Spitzer is attracted by the big target on WM > pun intended) I presume that you are also aware that for all WM's might and power, with all their legal and financial efforts, they still have not been able to open a single store in NYC (among other places). The proposed NASCAR track will probably be built there long before any WM opens.

You are correct that WM has taken steps to cover themselves, however, if you have seen other threads on this board, there are also WM stores which will not issue ANY rainchecks, for anything, regardless of the policy.

I hope that WM proofread their ad and didn't really say "ECLUDING".

When you win lawsuits, you are frequently reimbursed for reasonable legal expenses, so it would not cost the people "hundreds of thousands" of dollars. In addition, most individuals would bring suit in small claims type courts where the big WM legal team could be useless or excluded, depending on the state.

I understand that you may be trying to lower people's expectations, and that might be a good thing. I just don't necessarily agree that "those are the facts", at least not completely. In any case, have fun at CC and I hope you are able to buy what you want!