Toys R Us Tabeo Tablet vs. Kindle Fire / Others?

samisma

Just curious if anyone has had the opportunity to test the Tabeo out at their local toys r us?

DD6 has been harassing me to get her a kindle fire (just like grandma's) for MONTHS. Both of these tablets run for the same price ($150).

I get nervous about the kindle because she has accidentally purchased so many games and books that I've had to pay grandma back for.. Plus I don't want her venturing into uncharted territory (facebook, google searches with unexpected results, etc).

I'm liking that it comes with a bumper case too.

I admittedly am behind on technology. For example, I'm still using a nokia cell phone. One of the old beasts, that my coworkers like to clown on daily.

What do you think the best option for a 6 year old would be in this scenario?

And although I think 6 is young, I have to keep reminding myself that my daughter was just bumped from Kindergarten to 2nd grade in a matter of 2 months. She has pointed out that her friends have ipods, etc. I'm not willing to go that route as it's just music. If I'm going to invest in something techy I want her to be able to read books on it and learn from some of the apps/games.

I like the fire. THey hve been talking about this on the amazon forums. You can get a bumper for hte fire also and if you don't put a credit card on it , you can't buy teh games, put an empty prepaid card on it and you can still get the free apps. My son has a fire and my daughter is getting one. They have new kid locks on them with the latest updates and the new fire has a kid mode. The tabeo is still a toy, teh fire is not.

I have the old version of the fire and 3 year old and 10 year old both love it. I bought my now 3 year old the Leap pad last year which he rarely plays with unless I mention it over and over again. One will have my iPhone and the other the Kindle Fire rather than playing with the kid version of anything. And I have parental control set up so before any purchase can be completed so I don't have to worry about purchases I didnt agree to. I also have a protective case on it and haven't had any issues.

I agree, Fire all the way. I got my 10 year old daughter a Fire last year..and we had only 1 accidental purchase AND I even have my Prime set up on the thing. I'm getting my son who is 10 today..lol one this year as well. I purchased the accident protection but have not needed it. With him however, I may need it! I will be buying some sort of cool Nerf type armor for him as well.

What app store does the tablet use? I got an inexpensive e-reader/tablet and was bummed when I realized they didn't use Google Play. There are very few apps I can actually download that are of interest to me. Will you be able to use Netflix on this brand - if that matters to you..not sure .. but check it out if it does.

I was intrigued but the Tabeo at first look but after a ton of research I eliminated it from my choices. I had it narrowed down to the Kindle Fire and the Nabi 2. We ended up going with the Nabi 2. It is a great tablet that runs Android 4.0 but also has a seperate operating system for thier kid mode. It comes with a bumper like the Tabeo. The reason I went with this over the Kindle was because although it is a perfect adult tablet in Mommy Mode it is also taylored for kids with all the the restriction and monitoring options I was looking for instead of being an adult tablet with add ons to make it better for kids. The reviews from techies seem to be great! Can't wait for my DS to try it out on Christmas!

the Nabi 2 does look very interesting. Netflix is actually important, I hadn't even thought about that. Being able to download books is important as well.

So based off the posts here I can eliminate the Tabeo, but now I've to research the Nabi 2!

From what I can see not only is netflix available on the Nabi2, but for $3 a month there's 500+ hours of kid friendly/mom-approved shows (not that my kid needs that much tv). I'm really liking the educational apps I'm reading about for this as well.

hmm. does anyone else have one of these? curious if anyone else has an opinion on the Nabi

I was intrigued but the Tabeo at first look but after a ton of research I eliminated it from my choices. I had it narrowed down to the Kindle Fire and the Nabi 2. We ended up going with the Nabi 2. It is a great tablet that runs Android 4.0 but also has a seperate operating system for thier kid mode. It comes with a bumper like the Tabeo. The reason I went with this over the Kindle was because although it is a perfect adult tablet in Mommy Mode it is also taylored for kids with all the the restriction and monitoring options I was looking for instead of being an adult tablet with add ons to make it better for kids. The reviews from techies seem to be great! Can't wait for my DS to try it out on Christmas!

This is what we are getting as well. I was able to play with one at a Walmart store and it was very cool! Lots of pre-loaded apps. I love the fact that I can control pretty much everything that my daughter is able to do. It is 200.00 but I think it is well worth it. My daughter is also 6 and has been begging for a tablet.

This is what we are getting as well. I was able to play with one at a Walmart store and it was very cool! Lots of pre-loaded apps. I love the fact that I can control pretty much everything that my daughter is able to do. It is 200.00 but I think it is well worth it. My daughter is also 6 and has been begging for a tablet.

I forgot to mention that pretty much everywhere I've looked it got great reviews (other than those that are comparing it to the iPad, which it is not and it is not near the price either). I spent 2-3 months researching it. It is now on layaway at Walmart..lol.

You can download all the Amazon apps, Netflix, I believe Hulu Plus, and as someone else mentioned you can pay 3.00 per month for tons of kid safe movies and tv shows. This is probably one of the gifts that I am most excited to give in a long time..lol.