Kids on Black Friday

jellybean051901

I am very much against bringing young children shopping on black friday. My DD is 8 this year and she really wants to go with us. I think I might allow her but was wondering what the general feeling is about age. I know this is usually a heated topic but just wanted to get some feedback. In the end, I know it is my decision. She is mature for her age and I think she would have a lot of fun with us. Plus she is a night owl so she can probably stay up all night with us. Worse case scenerio is I have to run her home. Also I have done most of her shopping so I don't have to worry about hiding things from her. What age do you think is a good starting point?

my daughter is 12 and i still wont take her with me, have to remember you might think she is mature enough, but how is the crowd at the places you shop at? Do you feel she will be safe at her age?

My top 2 rules when BF shopping for myself

#1, No kids

#2, no shopping buggy

i can weave in and out everywhere without having a buggy or a kid in tow with me, I just dont feel comfortable trying to keep track of where she is and try to find the items i am looking for when all heck breaks loose.

Honestly, it really depends on where you live and how the crowd is where you are. Where we live I will probably take my daughter when she is that age if she wants to go and I feel that she is mature enough. But we live in a small town where we know nearly everyone there. It is usually very safe as well. Last year there were one or two police officers in the store at all times. But, the only major store we have here is a Walmart. There was a fight last year but it was over towels..lol. There are always alot of kids BF shopping in our Walmart. Many of them sit in line for TVs, laptops, etc. with other kids while their parents go after the other stuff.

My boys may go with me this year (they are 14) to Walmart, depending on what is on sale. If they have an Xbox on sale, then I will let them go sit in line with a giftcard so I can go after the games, DVDs, and anything else that I may be getting..

I took my DD9 last year when she was 8. We told her she had to take a nap on Thanksgiving Day. She did great and loved every minute of it. I gave her DH's phone just in case. She is already talking about going again this year. I enjoyed having her with me.

I am very much against bringing young children shopping on black friday. My DD is 8 this year and she really wants to go with us. I think I might allow her but was wondering what the general feeling is about age. I know this is usually a heated topic but just wanted to get some feedback. In the end, I know it is my decision. She is mature for her age and I think she would have a lot of fun with us. Plus she is a night owl so she can probably stay up all night with us. Worse case scenerio is I have to run her home. Also I have done most of her shopping so I don't have to worry about hiding things from her. What age do you think is a good starting point?

Sounds like you have already decided and are just looking for validation. It's your decision.

I wouldn't let my oldest go with me until he was sixteen. By then, he was big enough to hold his own in a crowd and smart enough to find me if we got separated. We both had cell phones. I think a crowded black friday store is a great place to snatch a kid. You probably would not notice your daughter was missing for some time then would likely spend too much time looking for her before contacting authorities who would probably not take thing seriously. For the abductor, who would look twice at some idiot dealing with a bratty kid who should have been home in bed?

Leave your kid home.

where we used to live (Virginia Beach) there is NO way I'd take my child shopping on Black Friday. The crowds and people are just insane! And like len_mullen said I would be scared we'd get separated and then who knows who is in the stores looking for a child that is not near his/her mom. I'd rather be safe than sorry. However, we have since moved and now live in a small town and last year we all went to our local walmart (the only big store here besides Lowes) after lunch and it was like any other day, not crowded, pallets in the isles still with lots of sale items still on them. I think if there was a big ticket item, that was hot that we wanted to get (and knew it wouldn't last), I'd just go early in the morning myself and let hubby stay home with our son.

On the other hand, it might not be so bad here... When we moved here 2 years ago I asked one of the cashiers how it was on black friday and she looked at me somewhat confused and funny! Sort of like a "what are you talking about"? lol lol I try to do most of my Black Friday shopping online, been pretty lucky so far!

I agree with everyone else. It depends where you shop. I personally do not bring my kids because I always have a sitter and am buying for them. I look foward to the alone shopping with the bff. However, if I did want to bring them I would have no problem bringing them to the outlets with me since it is not crazy at all and everyone is always super friendly. However, I would not bring them to Target or Walmart. They are crazy here and last year for the first time I had my dh go to Walmart and he said it was a mad house and fights all over the store. No thing is worth that....

So my answer is it is not about how mature your daughter is, its about your shopping area. If it is safe then go for it, if it is not then it is better to keep them safe at home.

I agree with everyone else....it depends on shopping area and size crowd. Our town is very small too but it seems as though everyone comes out now for BF shopping and it is a madhouse. There were several fights last year. I just don't get fighting over towels, I mean come on! Something else to consider is, how many people will be in your shopping group? Two years ago 2 of my cousins allowed their two girls (10 years old) to go. Somehow they ended up with me, and that made me extremely nervous. I was standing in line for the Ipod Touch deal and they had to come set with me. After the crowd cut loose, and I paid for the Touch (we paid for them as they handed them out), I stuck it in my purse and grabbed both girls hands and that was the extent of my bf shopping at Walmart that year. Lucky for me, we did have others who grabbed the deals I needed. We headed straight for our LARGE shopping group and stuck them between all of us so we knew we would not lose sight of them. My son is 14 going on 25, hitting on 6 feet tall, now, but I have yet to take him with me. It's not that I don't think he could handle himself, because I think he can, but I choose not to take the risk.

I will not bring my DD's out. It is to crazy and my first concern would be them and I am very protective. It will be to hard for me to get all the stuff I want and watch them and further more I don't want them camped out in the cold with me - :no: I agree that the problem for the most part is the immaturity of some adults. I refuse to have my kids somewhere that a fight might break out over a video game.

Those dang walmart towels are a fight every year! I do the video games/dvds but i make hubby do the towels.....little old ladies are MEAN :P

I gotta agree I think it depends on area BUT remember no matter how mature YOUR child is it isnt YOUR child you have to worry about. Its the 300lb linebacker that is willing to plow her for a $5 barbie. You can't control who all is going to be around your child. All you can do is control the situation you place your child in.

The 12 year old went last year for the first time and will go again this year. I don't go any where crazy and don't fight for TVs or other items. She is skinny and can get into those crowded isles for items I am looking for and she loved it last year. I don't regret my decision to take her so she'll probably be my shopping buddy for the next couple of years until she is old enough to go with her friends and dumps her mom - LOL!

My DD went with me last year for BF she was 18, her first time out. I think she had a good time and she has said something about it this year

. Now I've taken them later in the day when they were younger like on my 2nd trip around 2 in the afternoon but not the all night thing.

I wouldn't but I shop in mid/large size cities and people are not nice. Last year in West Palm Beach someone brought a gun into the mall. No thanks. I have watched yearly and some people shopping could care less if children get trampled. Meaner and meaner. Albuquerque is not all around safe normally so I wouldn't chance bringing children in the early morning. Concealed weapons are legal in this state

It all depends on where you go. I have seen young kids in buggies sleeping on top of stuff, older kids getting stuff for parents. ETC I have never been anywhere that was no more unsafe than any other day. I just wouldnt want to have to constantly worry about where they were and could they get lost in the crowd.

If you decide to take a child you really should have a backup plan just in case things go bad, someone to come get them if you need them to.

Those dang walmart towels are a fight every year! I do the video games/dvds but i make hubby do the towels.....little old ladies are MEAN :P

I gotta agree I think it depends on area BUT remember no matter how mature YOUR child is it isnt YOUR child you have to worry about. Its the 300lb linebacker that is willing to plow her for a $5 barbie. You can't control who all is going to be around your child. All you can do is control the situation you place your child in.

Old ladies quote - PRICELESS :sidesplit

LINEBACKER - THAT WOULD BE ME AND OH SO TRUE :yup:

The 12 year old went last year for the first time and will go again this year. I don't go any where crazy and don't fight for TVs or other items. She is skinny and can get into those crowded isles for items I am looking for and she loved it last year. I don't regret my decision to take her so she'll probably be my shopping buddy for the next couple of years until she is old enough to go with her friends and dumps her mom - LOL!

LOL - I did not think of that - maybe i can pay someone to do this. Last year I did pay this little boy to go and get stuff for me while I was getting my game systems .

up until last year the closest walmart was 30 minutes away. our closest mall w/target is approx 45 minutes. so i have always made sure to have a sitter, becuz there is no "just run home" option for cranky, hurt or scared kids. last year i did not have a sitter and our walmart had only been open maybe 2 months and i was expecting it to be a mad house. so i waited till about 9 (when i could get a sitter) and went to pick up what i could. to my surprise there was still a pretty good selection. this year my kids are old enough to be at home alone for a couple of hours, so i wont be taking them.

i agree with previous posters who have said its not the maturity of your children you should be concerned with. its the lack of maturity shown by adults that freaks me out!!

Honestly, it really depends on where you live and how the crowd is where you are. Where we live I will probably take my daughter when she is that age if she wants to go and I feel that she is mature enough. But we live in a small town where we know nearly everyone there. It is usually very safe as well. Last year there were one or two police officers in the store at all times. But, the only major store we have here is a Walmart. There was a fight last year but it was over towels..lol. There are always alot of kids BF shopping in our Walmart. Many of them sit in line for TVs, laptops, etc. with other kids while their parents go after the other stuff.

My boys may go with me this year (they are 14) to Walmart, depending on what is on sale. If they have an Xbox on sale, then I will let them go sit in line with a giftcard so I can go after the games, DVDs, and anything else that I may be getting..

I totally agree w/ location. In my small town I could take both my kids (and Luke is only 1). Now if I ran to the bigger towns next to me I'd probably want to keep them home. My biggest thing though is temps and times. With my oldest, she could totally handle going, but I buy for her so thats not happening. LOL With my little one, he's too young to be drug out at midnight/3am etc in below freezing temps.

Plus this is my time. Its fun and I dont want to have to worry about the kiddos while I'm shopping for them. :)

I totally agree w/ location. In my small town I could take both my kids (and Luke is only 1). Now if I ran to the bigger towns next to me I'd probably want to keep them home. My biggest thing though is temps and times. With my oldest, she could totally handle going, but I buy for her so thats not happening. LOL With my little one, he's too young to be drug out at midnight/3am etc in below freezing temps.

Plus this is my time. Its fun and I dont want to have to worry about the kiddos while I'm shopping for them. :)

The main reason I don't usually take my kids is because I am buying for them. But with the boys being 14 (and as big as most adults) then I would possibly take them if there is something that they want and have to stand in line for. Now my daughter is a different story...lol. She is only 5 and would definitely not be up to being up that late or early.

We live in AL so usually temperature is not that much of a factor. I think the coldest it has ever been is around 32. Most of the time it is in the 40s. I know that is still cool, but it is not below freezing..

I did take one of the boys once, when they were 5, to a different city. He had to sit in the buggy the entire time. The only reason we went was to get a Gamecube for I think 79.00. So, we stood in line for that, paid for it and left...I could never buy for my daughter while she is with me though. She notices way too much...lol. The boys never paid much attention to anything when they were that age...

I would not take my daughter with me to a different town though. I have taken her after the mad rush (like 9 in the morning). I would let my boys go, but they do not like to shop unless it is for them...lol.

No way no how! I missed out on BF shopping for several years because my kids were too little and it was just too cold and dangerous to take them (and I was shopping FOR THEM). I agree with the others that it really depends on WHERE you are going...be smart and really KNOW what the store is like on BF. My sil brought her kids with us for the first time a few years ago and I will admit that they did ok, but they were burned out and ready to go home way before we were. Last year I took my 16 year old with me, but it really took the fun out of shopping for him with him right there. People get CRAZY over some of these deals and the economy still isn't strong...that makes people desperate. There is no way I'd take a young child to Walmart, Target, or Toys R Us on BF

I would think about if she can keep up with you and not get lost. If something catches her eye she might stop to look while you're headed to grab something before anyone else gets it and then she gets lost. When I was young I got lost in the mall on black friday...it was really scary for me. I just got swept up in the crowds and when I turned around my mom was gone.

I took my boys last year. They were 13 & 14. The 14 yo went with his 24yo sister to appliances, the 13yo stayed right next to near video games. He ended up with a black eye and i almost got knocked into the cooler( the video games were next to cream cheese!!). He is a very lean muscular well built5'11" boy. Notaggressive, not timid, just normal, and he got taken down!! A guy got picked and thrown towards me! This is in a small town that i thought the ladies at the towels and sheets were rough! If anyone does take kids.....please be prepared and not suprised by actions of others. I consider my boys "big" enough to go if they want, but i was freaked ut last year, and it was their first year.

My daughter started going with me when she was 14 years old but we always took her best friends same age and they stood in line for a big ticket item. Then we would come together as a group. She says she doesn't like when little kids are allowed to run around by themselves they are a hassle and cause a bigger crowd. This year I believe we will be taking my youngest girl 12, but she will be sticking with her sister who is now 18.