* Official Black Friday TV / HDTV Thread *

ozziebandit

Does any one know about the brand Vizio? The 32 inch LCD at Sams club by this brand is being sold at nearly $900. Do you feel the price is good for this TV?

Not really, you can get a syntax olevia 32 inch that has had superior reviews at target online for that same price after rebates, possibly less if you use a target card. Be weary of budget lcds, most are not very good, there are a few less expensive brands that are- westinghouse, syntax olevia are two.

so lets talk about the Circuit City tvs compared to these others, the phillips for 899 vs the toshiba at bb and sears. the 42'' plasma for a possible 1600ish sounds to be the best plasma up so :tweety:

What is the model # of the Philips Plasma HDTV that is supposed to be on sale for $1799? The link doesn't work for me. And, how do you get one of those 10% off coupons?

I think that the Philips crt projector is $799, so it is $100 less than the Toshiba at Sears and Best Buy. I am having a hard time getting any opinions on the lower priced HD sets. Seems like most people are buying the more expensive HDTVs. I have checked a few HD forums, and not much talk on the Toshiba.

What is the model # of the Philips Plasma HDTV that is supposed to be on sale for $1799? The link doesn't work for me.

I'm assuming it's the 42pf7320a.

It's been on sale several times at that price at BrandsmartUSA in the southeast and Electronics Expo in NJ, going on three months now.......

Not really, you can get a syntax olevia 32 inch that has had superior reviews at target online for that same price after rebates, possibly less if you use a target card. Be weary of budget lcds, most are not very good, there are a few less expensive brands that are- westinghouse, syntax olevia are two.

Thanks TVBob. Out of Westinghouse and Syntax Olevia, which is better? My defination of better would be durability and quality of picture. I won't be using too many inputs as I would primarily using it for viewing TV and DVD/VCR only.

Just stopped by my local BB to check out the 46" DLP Toshiba and the 42" Plasma Magnavox. The Toshiba was very pixelated, could have been the signal, but it was supposed to be HD. I wasn't impressed, but I know they don't usually have them setup very well. The Magnavox looked great. Was concerned by lack of any product info on their website though and that it might be an EDTV repackaged, but it says 1024x768.

Anyone considering the 42" Hitachi Plasma at Sears for $1799? $300 more than the Magnavox, but I would guess it's a much better TV. I haven't seen one yet, would love some opinions on which way you'd go.

The BB sales guy said they have to get there at 3AM and they open at 5AM. They'll be handing out tickets in line.

Thanks TVBob. Out of Westinghouse and Syntax Olevia, which is better? My defination of better would be durability and quality of picture. I won't be using too many inputs as I would primarily using it for viewing TV and DVD/VCR only.

I prefer the syntaxs somewhat over the westinghouses, but it depends on what models you are comparing....but you can even get good deals on the most recent syntax models with hdmi and advanced features.

I'm looking at a 26" lcd tv this bf as well, I will use it as a htpc display and dvds. Please note that the synthax lcd sold by each one of those retailer is different.

So there is 4 of them, one westinghouse, 3 syntax olevia. Let me go over them one by one, looking for more inputs and opionions on their price/quality etc.

westinghouse 26" in bestbuy

price = 500+tax on 600 after 100 mir

upside = standard 720p, 1280 by 720, perfect dot by dot for pc output.

downside = unknown model #, cant be found on google, no review what so ever, no spec on manufacture website. long line usually for bb

syntax olevia 26" LT26HVE in compusa

price = 550 + tax on 750 after 200 mir

upside = widely sold, lotz of customer reviews, claimed to be the best bang for the buck by many. with comp usa opening at midnight, good chance to get this baby

downside = 1280 by 768, more pixels, but 15:9, small black bars on the top and bottom. questionable dvi input from pc reported, though components are fine. most expensive out of the 4.

syntax olevia 26" LT26HVX in circuitcity

price = 500 out the door, no rebate!

upside = cheapest, no rebate, better spec than the compusa model, higher contrast, higher res, better picture quality claimed.

downside = bad for htpc. dificult to get a vid card to output the native res of this lcd (1366 by 768), create alot of trouble connecting via dvi.

syntax olevia 27" LT27HVX in officedepot

price = 500 + tax on 800 after 300 mir

upside = biggest by one inch, standard 720p 1280 by 720, good for htpc. less people camp out of OD

downside = not that many reviews, 300 rebate is huge.

which one will you pick?

heck, in where i live, there is a bestbuy next to a office depot, one block down there is a compusa next to a officemax, two blocks toward the sea there is circuit city. I can walk from store to store in elss than 5 minutes. hehe, expecting mass camping in the parking lot, too many stores together here. I live accross the bridge from san francisco btw. good luck everyone

upside = cheapest, no rebate, better spec than the compusa model, higher contrast, higher res, better picture quality claimed.

downside = bad for htpc. dificult to get a vid card to output the native res of this lcd (1366 by 768), create alot of trouble connecting via dvi.

I was looking at the westinghouse at BB, I heard this is a very comparable brand also though. I'm not too worried about the PC hookups, i'm pretty use to having to fiddle around with resolutions. My question is are you sure this has no rebates? That is a major deciding factor for me and I can't make out the fine print in the ad enough to see if there is a rebate or not.

I prefer the syntaxs somewhat over the westinghouses, but it depends on what models you are comparing....but you can even get good deals on the most recent syntax models with hdmi and advanced features.

They have 2, 32 inch models (LT32HVE and LT32HVM). I looked at the specifications. I feel the HVE model is better than the HVM model. The one that is available at Target is HVM. I don't know the model that is available at Compusa though. I will probably wait as per your advice for 300 mail-inrebate to be applied to other shops as well. What's your take on this

Questions, questions!

- Wal-Mart's 42-inch plasma set that goes on sale BF: is it HDTV-capable or not? (I plan to get a Comcast high-def cable box, so this matters right away.) And will we have to wait in line six hours to get it?

- As for 30- or 32-inch high-def LCDs, what are the good deals out there? (I initially ordered a $999 Kreisen 30-inch from Target.com - mostly because of its use of Samsung guts - but canceled it, perhaps hastily, after hearing about Wal-Mart's 1K plasma set.)

Thanks!

Man this is tough. The max I can spend is ~$1000 and I want to get the extended warranty. I saw the circuit city ads and I didn't see it so I guess they're not offering the 0% financing on their BF sales items?

I'm torn between this tv:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=136248&WT.mc_n=57&WT.mc_t=U&cm_ven=AFFILIATE%20MARKETING&cm_cat=BEFREE&cm_pla=DATAFEED-%3EPRODUCTS&cm_ite=1%20PRODUCT&cm_keycode=57

and this one:

http://product.samsung.com/cgi-bin/nabc/product/b2c_product_detail.jsp?prod_id=HCR4755WX%2fXAA

Which tv will give me the best bang for my buck? I want HD and I want to be able to hook up my HTPC to it and be able to play games on it.

I wouldn't mind spending more but I want to finance it if I'm going to be spending more.

I've seen the Westinghouse 27" tv's at BB. I was in there 2 weeks ago researching TVs. I am in the market so I wanted question's answered.

I was really not that impressed with it. It was hooked-up to Cox-HD at the time. Maybe the channel I was watching wasn't HD, so it looked a little worse, but it just didn't seem right. A football game was on and it was hard to follow the ball on passes. The response time seemed a little slow.

Why wait 'til BF??

Just got my Sunday ads; Killer deal on a 32" starting tomorrow. BB has the 32" Westy for $899 plus tax out-the-door, no MIRs or AOL signups involved. Combine that with the 10% off Reward Zone coupon, and the TV is $809 plus tax.......

http://emailinfo.bestbuy.com/P/v3/CouponWrapper.asp?E=4294;866681;574633381;1;02&R=T1_CPN_50147&A=1007&ci=50147

Even I would love to get some advice or suggestion on this. I am also inclined on ciccuit city 799 Philips TV. 10% off coupon will make it sweet .

Man this is tough. The max I can spend is ~$1000 and I want to get the extended warranty. I saw the circuit city ads and I didn't see it so I guess they're not offering the 0% financing on their BF sales items?

Which tv will give me the best bang for my buck? I want HD and I want to be able to hook up my HTPC to it and be able to play games on it.

I wouldn't mind spending more but I want to finance it if I'm going to be spending more.

Why wait 'til BF??

Just got my Sunday ads; Killer deal on a 32" starting tomorrow. BB has the 32" Westy for $899 plus tax out-the-door, no MIRs or AOL signups involved. Combine that with the 10% off Reward Zone coupon, and the TV is $809 plus tax.......

http://emailinfo.bestbuy.com/P/v3/CouponWrapper.asp?E=4294;866681;574633381;1;02&R=T1_CPN_50147&A=1007&ci=50147

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! The 32" Westy is the tv I've really had my eye on. They had it at that price about 3 weeks ago but I didn't pick it up. I thought the $300 price drop would be permanent but that Sunday the price went back up. Once I got my coupons I was really hoping it'd go on sale tomorrow. I saw the stacks of ads at 7-eleven last night but they didn't have any papers assembled and ready to purchase. I'll be going shortly to pick up the early edition of the Sunday paper. At least now I'll have one less item on my BF list as I will be picking up the 32" Westy tomorrow!

What is the model # of the Philips Plasma HDTV that is supposed to be on sale for $1799? The link doesn't work for me. And, how do you get one of those 10% off coupons?

I think that the Philips crt projector is $799, so it is $100 less than the Toshiba at Sears and Best Buy. I am having a hard time getting any opinions on the lower priced HD sets. Seems like most people are buying the more expensive HDTVs. I have checked a few HD forums, and not much talk on the Toshiba.

Philips 51" HDTV (51PP9100D) & Philips 42" Plasma HDTV (42PF7320A)

You get the 10% off coupon from their instore catolouge, so if you haven't gotten one, get out n get one.

The plasma is at the same price that their outlet(http://www.outlet.philips.com/b2c_redesign/b2c/productdetail.do?productguid=4328965C3ACA008E00000000828BD47242BB1985A1E50A7500000000828BD443&productarea=4328965C3ACA008E00000000828BD472&scenario=catalog&shop=OUTLET) sells it at minus shipping for a refurb.

And I'm having trouble figuring out if this is HD ready, or needs a tuner:

http://www.outlet.philips.com/b2c_redesign/b2c/productdetail.do?productguid=4328965C3ACA008E00000000828BD472403C4046348D0123E1000000828BD4B8&productarea=4328965C3ACA008E00000000828BD472&scenario=catalog&shop=OUTLET

I don't know if anybody here has any recent experience with Philips tv's but I worked for a major home electronics retailer that carried Philips products. We carried Samsung, Sony, Mits, Philips, LG/Zenith, JVC, HP, Pioneer and Fujitsu tvs. Out of all of the tv brands that we had the Philips tvs came back and went into service over and over. They had an LCOS set that was finally recalled because of constant problems and we had five open box 34" hdtv tube based sets on our floor up until the day we closed our store because they just wouldn't sell, or if they did it would come back with a problem. The picture on these sets looked like you were watching tv without your glasses on; everything was a little blurry. The store manager actually suggested moving them away from the other tvs because side by side you would never pick the Philips. The real problem in my opinion was the defects in the tvs. Inputs wouldn't work, lines through the picture, turns itself off, everytime the power would go out you would have to turn one of them on then off then on again to get a picture. We affectionaly called all Philips products "boomerangs" because you knew if you sold one, it was coming back. Don't even get me started on their dvd players! I'm not trying to pick on any brand or be overly negative but it got to the point where I was scared to sell a Philips product because I knew that when my customer called later that day or the next day it was not going to be to thank me, it was to complain that his tv is acting up. We would set up care calls and the delivery person handling the call would ask us "Is it a Philips?" first thing.

Don't be afraid to ask a sales person about the track record of tv brands. Most sales people want you to be happy and would tell you if a brand was in for service more than other brands.

I'm looking at a 26" lcd tv this bf as well, I will use it as a htpc display and dvds. Please note that the synthax lcd sold by each one of those retailer is different.

So there is 4 of them, one westinghouse, 3 syntax olevia. Let me go over them one by one, looking for more inputs and opionions on their price/quality etc.

westinghouse 26" in bestbuy

price = 500+tax on 600 after 100 mir

upside = standard 720p, 1280 by 720, perfect dot by dot for pc output.

downside = unknown model #, cant be found on google, no review what so ever, no spec on manufacture website. long line usually for bb

syntax olevia 26" LT26HVE in compusa

price = 550 + tax on 750 after 200 mir

upside = widely sold, lotz of customer reviews, claimed to be the best bang for the buck by many. with comp usa opening at midnight, good chance to get this baby

downside = 1280 by 768, more pixels, but 15:9, small black bars on the top and bottom. questionable dvi input from pc reported, though components are fine. most expensive out of the 4.

syntax olevia 27" LT27HVX in officedepot

price = 500 + tax on 800 after 300 mir

upside = biggest by one inch, standard 720p 1280 by 720, good for htpc. less people camp out of OD

downside = not that many reviews, 300 rebate is huge.

which one will you pick?

heck, in where i live, there is a bestbuy next to a office depot, one block down there is a compusa next to a officemax, two blocks toward the sea there is circuit city. I can walk from store to store in elss than 5 minutes. hehe, expecting mass camping in the parking lot, too many stores together here. I live accross the bridge from san francisco btw. good luck everyone

:2football Look VERY CAREFULLY at the Circuit City ad....the Syntax Olevia 26" DOES have a mail in rebate...I can't tell how much, though!

does any one know the model of this Tv? If its the same one as they currently sell.....(51PP9100D)....then this tv only offers 1080i and 480p. Although it does have an internal tuner I am not sure if this makes the deal. The BB toshiba offers no tuner built in but has 1080i and 540p, plus the Toshiba brand is a much better one. You cant expect 720p capabilities on these doorbusters but I say if you want a HD tv then would want the tv with the best resolution in HDIf anyone knows the model please post.

:2football Look VERY CAREFULLY at the Circuit City ad....the Syntax Olevia 26" DOES have a mail in rebate...I can't tell how much, though!

From what i could see, it looked as though the last 2 words in the bottom line is "instant savings". That's what it looks like to me anyway. Anyone else have better eyes?

Not really a tv but there is no projector thread... Does anyone know if all Staples will have the refurbed 4805's instock for b/f? I can't imagine there will be all that many of them since they're refurbs and it's the only item I want. If not all stores have them instock is there any way to find out of this item can be ordered over the phone that morning?

Why wait 'til BF??

Thanks a lot for that info. My wife and I went down and got an early edition paper to verify that they'll be on sale tomorrow. They are, so we went down to best buy and got ne today so that they won't be out. We'll go there tomorrow and show our reciept and get the $400 difference back. There was also a $50 MIR on the TV. So all said and done, the TV is only $759 before tax! We just got home from a party and I can't wait to break it out of the box and play with it. It looked very good in the 2 different BB's I was in.

From what i could see, it looked as though the last 2 words in the bottom line is "instant savings". That's what it looks like to me anyway. Anyone else have better eyes?

When I look at it I make out Mail in Rebate in the bottom sentence. Is there anyone out there that can confirm if it's instant savings or mail in rebate and how much? This is pretty important for my planning and where i'm going BF morning.

Philips 51" HDTV (51PP9100D)

You get the 10% off coupon from their instore catolouge, so if you haven't gotten one, get out n get one.

So the Philips 51" can be had for $719.99? I'm not understanding fully. I'm looking at buying this set. Is it worth it, or would my $800 be better spent elsewhere? I can't spend more than this.