Attention HP Touchpad users

Kim3498

You don't need virus protection on tablets. THis is discussed frequently on amazon kindle forums. The posters on there say the systems the tablets use are safe and don't get viruses. I bought my son the kindle fire and I have no intention of putting virus protection on it. THe content is not like stuff you get into on computers, I see no reason to waste money on something that isn't necessary.

You don't need virus protection on tablets. THis is discussed frequently on amazon kindle forums. The posters on there say the systems the tablets use are safe and don't get viruses. I bought my son the kindle fire and I have no intention of putting virus protection on it. THe content is not like stuff you get into on computers, I see no reason to waste money on something that isn't necessary.

That's what I originally thought, too but not so sure. No technology is completely safe from malware, etc..... I won't be putting it on DS13's Ipad 2 because it doesn't use flash, but Touchpad does and lots of viruses travel through Flash.

Edited by Kim3498

I think the reason Kindle Fire owners are claiming that they will be virus free is because the apps all come from Amazon so they are screened. Apple is the same way although I think I have read of something being available for a short time before. I think that Android Marketplace is more open and easier to have an app approved for sale so more likely to have malicious apps. I know I have read somewhere that there have been quite a few on there until they figure it out and pull them. So I think a big part of it is where you get your apps and how much you trust the developers.

I think the reason Kindle Fire owners are claiming that they will be virus free is because the apps all come from Amazon so they are screened. Apple is the same way although I think I have read of something being available for a short time before. I think that Android Marketplace is more open and easier to have an app approved for sale so more likely to have malicious apps. I know I have read somewhere that there have been quite a few on there until they figure it out and pull them. So I think a big part of it is where you get your apps and how much you trust the developers.

The only apps I'm using are HP. I don't have very many on it though, but am doing a lot of web browsing.