Tablet or Ipad

donella

If price was a main factor wnat tablet or Ipad should I buy.I am wanting to get one for my sister who is 52 yrs old and would be using it to surf the web and e-mail maybe a few photos or reading.I know nothing about them.I have a desktop and laptop computer and prefer the desktop over a laptop but she has neither so was wanting to get her something reasonable to surf the web with.Any suggestions appreciated.

I'll go along with the majority and say Ipad! I pondered this same question for months. Kept going back and forth, but in the end I spent the extra money and have not been disappointed. I just bought my DH a refurb one on ebay for $389 64 GB. When it arrived, it looked brand new...not a scratch and works as good as mine. Good luck!

If you got the Target Christmas brochure in the mail, it has a 10% off coupon attached to the back cover of the magazine. If you use the 10% off and use a Red Card (5% off), you will then get 15% off. If you are not already a Red Card user, I think that you will get a 10% off coupon good for your first day of shopping. I would LOVE an ipad.

My vote is for the (android 2.2) LePan TC970 Tablet. It has a 10" screen and I'm told is in the top 5 best sellers on Amazon. They are regularly discounted to $198.00. Great customer reviews on Amazon and Walmart.com. They are often out of stock. I ordered mine Thanksgiving eve (it was out of stock) but received it the following Wednesday. You can pre-order the yet-to-be-released model that is about $75 more.

http://www.amazon.com/Pan-TC-970-9-7-Inch-Multi-Touch/dp/B004PGMFG2/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1324435110&sr=1-1

Edited by fuzzmanks
Added URL

• 2 weeks later...
We have an iPad, and got my son a Toshiba Thrive for Christmas. He had been using our iPad, and I think was a little disappointed at first he didn't get one. But now he loves it. My husband has told him more than once that he'll trade him the iPad for the Thrive, he's very impressed with it too. Of course, there are features that are on the iPad2 that aren't on the original.

• 4 months later...

My vote is for the (android 2.2) LePan TC970 Tablet. It has a 10" screen and I'm told is in the top 5 best sellers on Amazon. They are regularly discounted to $198.00. Great customer reviews on Amazon and Walmart.com. They are often out of stock. I ordered mine Thanksgiving eve (it was out of stock) but received it the following Wednesday. You can pre-order the yet-to-be-released model that is about $75 more.

http://www.amazon.com/Pan-TC-970-9-7-Inch-Multi-Touch/dp/B004PGMFG2/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1324435110&sr=1-1

Sorry, Actually it was number 24 in tablets and number 52 in electronics , so not even close to top 5 sellers in amazon. The top 5 sellers in amazon are the kindles for one. The Top 5 selling tablets on Amazon are number one the kindle fire, number 2 the samsung galaxy2 7 inch, number 3 the asus transformer, number 4 , samsumg galaxy 2 10 inch, and number 5 the ipad 2. I don't even see that LePan anywhere on the first page and have never heard of it. Today it's down on number 37. My son has the Kindle fire and plays with it every day. He is 15 and tells me it's the best thing he's ever had. SInce he has about everything, that's saying something. My oldest son has the Ipad and he likes it too, but I would stick with the wll known and bestsellers like the fire or the galaxy.

My kids both have tablets. One has the Asus Transformer and the other the Acer Iconia. We chose tablets over the Ipad because you cannot increase the memory on the Ipad. We bought 16gb for the kids and have given them 16gb microsd cards and even a 32gb microsd card. They have tons of space for all the stuff they do with it. A lot of the time they use them for video taping themselves swimming at meets and tennis matches. I also used it to record DD13's Spring concert for the band/orchestra. We love the tablets and I am planning on getting one of the new ones coming out with the Tegra 3 chip in it for myself. DH wants one too. Waiting to see what Black Friday will bring again this year since we got great deals last BF.

I personally just feel that the hype about the ipad is the name.

My kids both have tablets. One has the Asus Transformer and the other the Acer Iconia. We chose tablets over the Ipad because you cannot increase the memory on the Ipad. We bought 16gb for the kids and have given them 16gb microsd cards and even a 32gb microsd card. They have tons of space for all the stuff they do with it. A lot of the time they use them for video taping themselves swimming at meets and tennis matches. I also used it to record DD13's Spring concert for the band/orchestra. We love the tablets and I am planning on getting one of the new ones coming out with the Tegra 3 chip in it for myself. DH wants one too. Waiting to see what Black Friday will bring again this year since we got great deals last BF.

I personally just feel that the hype about the ipad is the name.

I thought the same thing, but when I was trying to decide which gb to buy for DS14 a Bestbuy cs rep told me he recommended people save the extra money and buy the 8gb because if you need more this product is made for expanding the memory of the Ipad. Not sure how it works though as we have not had to buy it as of yet. DS14 loves, loves, loves his Ipad.

Edited by Kim3498

I thought the same thing, but when I was trying to decide which gb to buy for DS14 a Bestbuy cs rep told me he recommended people save the extra money and buy the 8gb because if you need more this product is made for expanding the memory of the Ipad. Not sure how it works though as we have not had to buy it as of yet. DS14 loves, loves, loves his Ipad.

Depends on what you will need the extra space for. That's an external hard drive, about the same size as the iPad. Not super portable. With the tablets with SD slots, you can expand the memory or the device without lugging around extra stuff. For example. My son had a interview/video project to do. His Thrive has only 8GB. We stuck a SD card in there, and when that 8GB filled up during the interview, he started saving onto the SD card. Same thing when he went to Washington DC. We just made sure he had a big enough SD card, and he could take all the pictures and videos he wanted without anything extra. That wouldn't have worked with an external drive. He would have had to get the drive out and transfer everything over before he could start using his device again. (And it would have been an additional thing for him to keep up with, which is a challenge!) But, if you use your device mostly somewhere calm like at home, and you can have something else plugged into it, then this would be a good solution to storing pictures, videos, and music. Just depends on what you need it for!

Like I mentioned earlier, we have both Android tablets and iPads. They each have their "things". Son wanted an iPad, until he got his Thrive, and now we've even offered to switch with him, and he wouldn't. Just depends on your needs and preferences. :)

That external drive would not work for my kids at all. It is something else they have to carry with them and they would have to transfer what they have taken to the external drive. They use the sd cards and its very portable. When we are at an all day swim meet they taken tons of videos and pictures. Not to mention they also have movies downloaded that they watch thruout the day. We have been know to be at a swim meet from 5am and not leave until after 11pm. It sure keeps them entertained. With my son's Asus he also has the keyboard dock that adds battery life as well as allowing him time to do his reports etc for school. He saves on google docs and just prints out at school. It has saved him so much time with his school work and his AP courses. We love our tablets (I can't wait to get mine) and several swim parents have gone our route also and gotten for themselves and their kids. :)

That external drive would not work for my kids at all. It is something else they have to carry with them and they would have to transfer what they have taken to the external drive. They use the sd cards and its very portable. When we are at an all day swim meet they taken tons of videos and pictures. Not to mention they also have movies downloaded that they watch thruout the day. We have been know to be at a swim meet from 5am and not leave until after 11pm. It sure keeps them entertained. With my son's Asus he also has the keyboard dock that adds battery life as well as allowing him time to do his reports etc for school. He saves on google docs and just prints out at school. It has saved him so much time with his school work and his AP courses. We love our tablets (I can't wait to get mine) and several swim parents have gone our route also and gotten for themselves and their kids. :)

Wow, sounds like you have a very busy lifestyle. I have read great things about the Asus, so I'm sure it's really nice. DS14 mainly just plays games, downloads apps (has a ton of those), and watches movies on his Ipad, so not a whole lot of downloading. I'm not 100% sure this is the one BB showed me as it was small (about the size of my palm) and I'm pretty sure he said it plugged into the Ipad (or other Apple product), but not 100% on that. As I said, I don't know how it works, but I'm guessing it works sorta like the Cloud. I certainly did not mean to offend anyone, but did want to point out that the Ipad does have some options for more memory.

Wow, sounds like you have a very busy lifestyle. I have read great things about the Asus, so I'm sure it's really nice. DS14 mainly just plays games, downloads apps (has a ton of those), and watches movies on his Ipad, so not a whole lot of downloading. I'm not 100% sure this is the one BB showed me as it was small (about the size of my palm) and I'm pretty sure he said it plugged into the Ipad (or other Apple product), but not 100% on that. As I said, I don't know how it works, but I'm guessing it works sorta like the Cloud. I certainly did not mean to offend anyone, but did want to point out that the Ipad does have some options for more memory.

You did not offend me at all :) I just knew that for us the Ipad would not work. I do like the ipad and was tempted to get one but the memory thing was not enough for us otherwise I think its fine too.

Yes the external drive does plug in the ipad and you can get a portable drive that is really small, and it also can be plugged into a computer, or tablet (its not just for ipads). I have actually have several at home I use to back up our pictures and videos from my computer. I learned the hard way when my laptop crashed I almost lost all my pictures on it. Luckily I had been using external hard drives as backup. Now I back up on one and have pictures only on another. Each of my kids also have them to back up their laptops.