When did you stop believing?

SuperMommy

How/why and when did you, yourself, stop believing in Santa Clause? Was there a specific reason?

Here's my story...

I actually figured it out with the Easter Bunny and just realized that since the Easter Bunny wasn't real then none of the others were too. I was in 3rd grade. It was the night before Easter and we had been out late. We got home around 11:30 or so. Well my parents told me that I needed to go to bed so the Easter Bunny could come. Well, I hadn't been in the bed more than 10 minutes and I heard the front door open. And only once, guess they forgot he needed to leave too, not just come in. And I also heard the cookie jar open (I left cookies out for the Easter Bunny too). Well, like right after that they came and got me out of bed and told me he had came already. Yeah right, he comes 10 min. after I got home. And I knew they had opened the cookie jar to put the cookies back in. Well, I walked into the living room looked at the easter basket, looked at them with a disgusted look on my face, and went straight back to my bedroom. They came running in there after me and said "what's wrong"? I said "I'm not stupid, there is no Easter Bunny". They were like "what are you talking about, sure there is". Well, then I started calling them on the door opening and the cookie jar. And they told me that they opened the jar b/c he wanted more!! Yeah right, how stupid did I look? And that was the end of my believing.

I was about 6 or 7 when I stopped believing in Santa. We lived in an apartment when I was young so, no chimney or anything like that :) My mom would leave "Santa's gifts" at the foot of my bed before I woke up on Christmas morning. Well one Christmas I guess she just wasn't quiet enough because I woke up! I seen her putting the gifts down that were labeled "From Santa" and that is when I knew he wasn't real.

I remember one year we drove from GA to Virginia for Christmas. I was 5 or 6. When we got to grandma's house I heard jingle bells and saw a red light in the sky. I quickly ran in the house and jumped in bed, after all I didn't want to miss Santa. I stayed convince he was real until I was. My parents were so afraid I would be disappointed that they went a little overboard that year, but I loved it and still remember it as the best Christmas growing up.

I found out there was no Santa when I was in 2nd grade. I went into my parents room for something and found presents wrapped on the bed. The tags read to Tina from Santa. Once I found out, I turned into one of those snoopy kids. Every year from then on, while I lived at home, I snooped for Christmas. But of course I pretended to believe for quite awhile after that.

What do you mean No santa, I am 40 something and I know there is a Santa, He may not wear a read suit and bring gifts but as long as you believe in good, and you can bring a smile to some ones face. I always believe there is a little bit of Santa in every one and I tell my kids, that when you stop believing then you have to grow up,. So I am never growing up because as the ending of Miracle on 34th street say's I BELIEVE

I was about 10 years old. I was snooping on our stairs listening to my mom and my sister talking about christmas. My sister said, which presents are you going to have be from Santa, and I stood up and screamed " THERE IS NO SANTA!!!" and ran upstairs and and started kicking the top of my bunk bed and broke it LOL. I remember that day like it was yesterday, I was so upset. So now im really carefull about what I say in front of my kids or even when they arent around. I want them to belive as long as possible!!

When I was 8 years old I found out. I was laying awake in bed so excited about Christmas that I got out of bed to get a drink of water and saw my mother putting things in our Christmas stockings. I went back to bed quietly then cried myself to sleep. I think my mother must of saw me because the next day she gave me a sad look. I told my grandmother after what I had seen,,,she told me not to tell my younger sister and two brothers. I can still remember that day as if it was yesterday.:(

Around 4 years old, a friend of mine told me the Easter Bunny wasn't real. I began putting it together and realizing the tooth fairy and Santa weren't real either.

Of course, to this day, my Mother still claims there is a Santa and has yet to acknowledge that there isn't one. It's kind of funny. :P

I really don't remember. I guess I just figured it out. My brother is 4 years older so I guess he helped me figure it out. This is the first year my ds (9) doesn't believe and he told dd (7), but I think she would have figured it out anyway. I have threatened them not to breathe a word to their little sister (4).

I think I was in 4th grade but my mom was not a big holiday person and she didn't put much effort into the Santa thing. My older DD was 11 when she stopped (2 years ago) and only because when we moved she saw the movers unpack the "santa" paper. My younger dd is 10 now and as far as we know (I've asked her sister to confirm this and she has) she still believes. I am actually at the point now where it would be much easier for me if she didn't but I would never tell her unless she asked me specifically. I know she still believes in the Tooth Fairy too.

RobD

Guest all2tired

I was 7 or 8. My youngest brother though, he found out the hard way.

After we had all reached a certain age, my parents allowed us to open all of our gifts on Christmas eve so that we could sleep in on Christmas day. Well, my brother got up on Christmas day and was so shocked and upset that Santa didn't come. My parents thought he no longer believed or they wouldn't have allowed up to open them the night before.

I was 7 or 8. My youngest brother though, he found out the hard way.

After we had all reached a certain age, my parents allowed us to open all of our gifts on Christmas eve so that we could sleep in on Christmas day. Well, my brother got up on Christmas day and was so shocked and upset that Santa didn't come. My parents thought he no longer believed or they wouldn't have allowed up to open them the night before.

Oh now that is sad. I feel for your parents and your brother!

I honestly don't remember how I found out but I know my older brother had something to do with it. I just don't remember the specifics. But to this day I still feel bad for telling my best friend that is a year younger than me. I remember her running to her mom crying. Boy was her mom ticked at me, and with good reason!

We used to celebrate St. Nicholas Day (Dec. 5th). We'd put our shoes outside our bedroom door, and St. Nicholas would leave candy in them. He wasn't Santa...Santa only came at Christmas. St. Nicholas was an "associate" of Santa's...my brothers told me he must be like an uncle or something!

Anyway, in 4th grade, all my 6 brothers and sisters had gone to bed. I was telling Mom goodnite, and then remembered we had forgotten to put our shoes out. She said "Dad's gone, there won't be any candy" (I don't remember if he was just gone for the evening, or on one of his longer (months) absences.

So, she explained that she couldn't go to the store, so there'd be no candy. I was taking it ok, she was telling me to not tell the little kids that Mom and Dad were St. Nicholas....when I suddenly became suspicious.

In my mind, I knew I was not going to like the answers, so I started small. No toothfairy (always a nice source of quick dimes!)? Ok, how about the Easter Bunny? Dang! Ok, by now we're both looking at each other, knowing what I was going to say...and later she told me she SO hoped I wouldn't ask about Santa. But, I did. She said no, I cried. The crushing reality of $$$ was finally brought into focus. We were poor, but Santa was rich!! So, no Santa meant no asking for bikes and skiis and other big ticket items.

It was awful, but she was pretty cool about it. She played on my big-sister role, and told me all the secrets about Christmas, and now I could help trick (I'm sure she used a nicer word!) all the little kids. So, it worked, and then the best fun was keeping them believing until at least 10.

Thanks for the memory!