I need ideas...

misshayley

I have 2 people who are very hard to buy for, but I don't really like to give gift cards because I think that they are too impersonal, especially when I have gifts for everyone else in their family.

Anyway, does anyone have a teenage girl age 14, or know what I should get her?

Also, I need some ideas for my MIL (she about 46)?

Does anybody else use Excel to make a spreadsheet of the people they have to buy for and the items they have bought for them, or ideas of what you want to get them? Maybe it's just me because I have about 50 people to buy for.

:holiday10:holiday15:holiday10

I absolutely use a spreadsheet. Although right now I have to save it to a floppy and carry it with me because we have a shared computer at home, but maybe by next year I'll have a new laptop and the kids will each have a new computer if Walmart and Best Buy work out for me.

I too use a spreadsheet. I need to start mine. Since I have just started getting items.

MP3 Player for the 14yr old perhaps. or an Ipod shuffle

MIL - Bath and Body Works stuff, or a what about a foot spa, and all the foot spa treatments like lotions and sloughing creams

Definitely the MP3 for the 14 year old if she doesn't have one. There are also lots of great deals on DVDs that day too, you could get her several.

For the 46 year old - I hate giving gift cards too just b/c I don't like people knowing exactly how much I did or didn't spend. I've found over the last few years a lot of my gift "receivers" like restaurant gift cards. They can treat themselves to a nice dinner w/o feeling guily for not spending it on kids, things the family needs, etc.

The portable dvd players are nice too if this is someone that travels. They can use it in the car/airplane.

I have a spreadsheet that I use. I list what things cost now and the sale price. i also have it seperated so I know how much I spent so I can make sure I am somewhat equal.

Does the MIL Collect anything or read or anything. I know my MIL Loves to paint so we bought her a bunch of supplies from Michaels and it was pratical but it was also something she liked.

I have a 14 year old daughter and baby there ain't enough time in the day to tell you everything she wants for Christmas.:sidesplit I think that a gift card is fine, because they change their minds like the wind blows. Magazine subscriptions are good, clothing, MP3 player, IPOD, dvd's, cd's, jewelry, perfume, bbw(bathandbodyworks), gift cards to the movie theater, manicure and pedicure, items to decorate her room, trip to the beauty salon, and maybe a digital camera.

I do a spreadsheet as well. Have retail and actual price listed on bought purchases and then ideas on others. budget per person and where it is in my house as well. I know thats funny but I tend to hide things REALLY well. I just stink at finding them LOL

14 i would say a GC as well would be very happily accepted. The idea to add a small related gift along with it would make it more personal :)

For a 14 year old maybe movie passes and/or movie rental gc (Blockbuster). For my hard to buy for MIL I have, in the past, made a stationary basket. Include notecards, misc. greeting cards, notepaper, pens, address book, stickers, stamps and address labels. At least it is useful.

for the 14 year old, how about a book of movie passes- we can buy discounted ones at AAA and they come in books of 4 for $24

for mil, last year we made a nice card explaining that my husband was going to take her out on a mother/son "date night", ie dinner and a movie. she was so excited since they never really spend time together just the two of them without me and the kids there. also it was our first christmas without fil so it served a double purpose with getting her out of the house but anyhoo.... good luck and i know what you mean, i hate gift cards too

I use a spreadsheet - it helps me track ideas, as well as stuff bought and how much spent. Then I can arrange it so I can quickly see who I am still missing gifts for.

For the 14 year old girl - music is good, clothes are good, accessories and purses are good. (for most 14 year old girls) Something an MP3 player if she doesn't have one and loves music. My niece is 15 and desperately wants an ipod - or money to go clothes shopping. She's not as easy to clothes shop for as she used to be.

Maybe something like a mani/pedi kit - or a basket of stuff to do nails? That's another thing my niece is into - having her nails painted all the time.

I would use the most wanted items list. If it's very popular you have better odds of them liking it and if not it will be easier for them to exchange if it is a commonly wanted item. I want almost every popular item in the computer category myself.

Also, I need some ideas for my MIL (she about 46)?

:holiday10:holiday15:holiday10

How about a gift certificate for a day of pampering at a spa? I'm 45 and would LOVE to get something like that. She can choose what treatments she wants to get, including a massage, facial, and whatever else they have.