A note about the BB 42" Plasma EDtv

Druid_GR

The one on their site right now, which I am sure is the one in this ad if it turns out to be true is a monitor, no TV tuner built in. :(

From the BB site:

"Note: ED-ready TV monitor only; external tuner required for ED and conventional TV viewing"

and

"ED-ready: Capable of displaying enhanced-definition (480p) signals from an optional digital source. Displays high-definition digital content at reduced (480p EDTV) resolution."

Just a heads up.

Only about 10% of population do not sub to Satellite or Cable TV anyway (so you will get a tuner from your provider), so I never saw a monitor only as a big concern to most people, certainly not me.

Don't some satellite companies not carry local channels? Just something to think about. We used to have Direct TV and had to get an antennae for locals.

Well, you may need an antenna if the sat company doesn't carry your locals, but you should get an OTA (Over the Air) tuner built in with the HD receiver you get, so you won't need a separate tuner for OTA signals.

If your just talking SD (standard definition), something like 90% of the population can receive locals from either D* (DirecTV) or E* (Echostar - Dish Network). D* has just started offering HD locals in Detroit, and should carry the top 25 markets in early 2006, top 75 markets in HD by end of 2006. :)

Well, you may need an antenna if the sat company doesn't carry your locals, but you should get an OTA (Over the Air) tuner built in with the HD receiver you get, so you won't need a separate tuner for OTA signals.

If your just talking SD (standard definition), something like 90% of the population can receive locals from either D* (DirecTV) or E* (Echostar - Dish Network). D* has just started offering HD locals in Detroit, and should carry the top 25 markets in early 2006, top 50 markets in HD by end of 2006. :)

We have since switched TVs and sat companies so we are good now. There seems to be a new type of tv every time I turn around:eyepoppin

Thanks JB King!

Only about 10% of population do not sub to Satellite or Cable TV anyway (so you will get a tuner from your provider), so I never saw a monitor only as a big concern to most people, certainly not me.

I didn't realize that some or most didn't come with a tv tuner it it. This is good to know. I was thinking about this tv but if I can only use to to hook up my computer to it, I didn't want it. :tongue1:

I would be able to read the forums better though huh? :D

Thanks for the info!

The one on their site right now, which I am sure is the one in this ad if it turns out to be true is a monitor, no TV tuner built in. :(

From the BB site:

"Note: ED-ready TV monitor only; external tuner required for ED and conventional TV viewing"

and

"ED-ready: Capable of displaying enhanced-definition (480p) signals from an optional digital source. Displays high-definition digital content at reduced (480p EDTV) resolution."

Just a heads up.

This is normal ... (and what you'd expect for $1k) ...

If you want SDTV OTA signals, then use your VCR as a Tuner ...

If you want HDTV OTA signals, then buy a tuner ... and find that maybe 10 channels at max are HDTV ...

Remember, DVD is EDTV ... While most Cable/Satelite channels are digital, they aren't HDTV.

@

(Just realised, I paid $3k for an EDTV Plasma Monitor 3 years ago ... Doh! should have waited)