Taking kids out Black Friday shopping all night

Rockfordmom

I took my brother (9) the past two years but we didn't go for much. Last year it was Walmart which was busy but since everyone was let in early it wasn't a mad rush. This year we went to Kmart, Walgreens and Menards. Kmart and Wags were mellow but Menards was wild! So packed I almost lost him a few times. Kept having to hold onto his jacket. lol

We went for a handful of things at the stores and went at opening, not all night. Not sure if I'd bring him for an all nighter. That seems like it'd be tough on kids - especially the really young ones.

There were so many teenagers "hanging out" at the mall on BF

This was my thoughts exactly. I couldn't believe the number of 13-18yr old-ish kids just hanging out at the mall. Honestly, they were obnoxious. This is a mall that normally doesn't see more than a small amount of this. However, we were there from 1-3am and they were everywhere. They weren't spending money just hanging out in large groups, goofing around, clogging up the walkways. I was really annoyed. I made the comment to my sister that when we'd go out early in the morning we didn't encounter this because they weren't getting up that early. What I really didn't understand was, WHY these kids were allowed out that night in the middle of the night! My son had an 11pm curfew until he turned 18 earlier this year. We did see one group of about 8 that were jumping around, knocking into people, they even were going through garbage cans. Being totally obnoxious. Oh, then we seen them again a bit later w/ the 2 "mom's" who must of brought them, they were sweet angels then.

There was a little girl that really stuck out in my head. I'd guess she was 5 or 6 years old. I seen her around 2am w/ what I am guessing is her dad walking through the mall. The poor thing was just dragging. I mean she looked downright exhausted. I felt really bad for her. More than kids was the number of very pregnant women I seen out. Oh I should say that I seen out and complaining about standing in long lines "while they are very obviously, very pregnant". I heard this more than a handful of times. I am not sure if they thought they should get to move to the front. Unfortunately, if you are "very pregnant" it was probably safer and more comfortable to stay home that one shopping night.

I absolutely agree!

I was getting so pissed off, because I was seeing parents scolding and yelling at their kids who couldn't be more than 3 years old--for the love of God, it's friggin 2 o'clock in the morning--GO HOME AND PUT THEM TO BED...THAT'S why their whining!! Ridiculous...

Amen!!!! I sooooo agree!

I saw a few teenagers, but I don't think I saw any younger kids during the early hours that I was out. (I didn't go out until 4am though) We went to several stores, and I didn't see kids at all!

I think that's probably why you didn't see a lot of younger kids. I think the problem is... most parents brought their kids so they could get in line early (around 8PM or 9PM) and just kept them awake the entire time until they got what they wanted and went home after checking out and that usually finishes around 3 or 4 AM depending on which stores you need to go to.

I was at the mall and there were tons of teenagers running through the mall & getting yelled at by security plus a number of parents with strollers and toddlers in tow. I might not have noticed some of the little kids if they weren't bawling their eyes out.

I got to the mall about 1am and was there until about 3am and it was packed with kids from about 11 years old-18 yo. Far more teenagers than any adults. My son is 9 and I even saw a few of his friends although I didn't see who they were with. It almost seemed like the parents just dropped them off to hang out while they went shopping and hate me if you must, there is nothing in this world that I need that badly that I would risk the safety of my children and bring them out on a night when people get crazy over things.

I got to the mall about 1am and was there until about 3am and it was packed with kids from about 11 years old-18 yo. Far more teenagers than any adults. My son is 9 and I even saw a few of his friends although I didn't see who they were with. It almost seemed like the parents just dropped them off to hang out while they went shopping and hate me if you must, there is nothing in this world that I need that badly that I would risk the safety of my children and bring them out on a night when people get crazy over things.

100% agree.

I won't bring my kids out on BF!! This year....I didn't go out til 4pm. My wife worked the overnight shift and had to get her sleep. Me and my kids cleaned and decorated the house for Christmas. BF shopping wasn't even a thought in my head, because it's not a safe place for my kids to be. If they want to go with me when they're older, then fine, i'll take them. Til then, if I don't have a sitter, bottom line, I don't shop.

I saw alot of people with little babies and small children, some of these kids running around the store. and what really made me mad there were mothers and fathers dragging there small children and yelling at them, why couldnt one of the parents stay home, some of these people were in groups of mother father and other adults. i know people want to get some good deals but at what cost.

Does anyone really think the earlier time made a difference in what was offered? My son wanted to go but I usually shop for him but didn't really see anything worth while. He wants to go next year but I am really re-thinking letting him go. He will be 15. I am not sure I want to deal with teenage tired attitude. Maybe I will go at 4 next year but make sure I shop online first in case I go home earlier than planned.

I won't take my kids out for obvious safety reasons but another big factor for me and I haven't seen it mentioned is that my kids still believe in Santa Claus...so how do you explain what you bought and they see it on Christmas morning? I know alot don't do the Santa but I love it as do my kids and I just don't want my kids to grow up so fast. It's magical to me and to the kids and I won't ruin that until I absolutely have to. So no BF shopping for my kids. I didn't start taking my oldest until she was 16 and I needed her long track legs to go grab things for the little ones. Now she is 22 and had to work and so her 20 yr old sister is now my companion and DH stays home with the little ones, ages 9. 8, 7 and almost 5.

I won't take my kids out for obvious safety reasons but another big factor for me and I haven't seen it mentioned is that my kids still believe in Santa Claus...so how do you explain what you bought and they see it on Christmas morning? I know alot don't do the Santa but I love it as do my kids and I just don't want my kids to grow up so fast. It's magical to me and to the kids and I won't ruin that until I absolutely have to. So no BF shopping for my kids. I didn't start taking my oldest until she was 16 and I needed her long track legs to go grab things for the little ones. Now she is 22 and had to work and so her 20 yr old sister is now my companion and DH stays home with the little ones, ages 9. 8, 7 and almost 5.

That is why we NEVER took our kids! I would finish for them on Black Friday! But now they want to come with me!!!!! UGH!

This happened at the mall we went to as well. Teenagers just hanging out. No packages, no shopping, just getting in the way and hanging out. I thought most towns had curfews. Up in Novi we have curfews if you are under a certain age. At the Great Northern Mall in Ohio there were teenagers everywhere. Made that part of my shopping evening very annoying.

DH and I were shocked to see people with babies in strollers (waiting in line in the cold!) at Toys R Us and toddlers running around at Walmart. Them being out late doesn't bother me as much as people being crazy on black friday and they could be seperated easily from thier parents.

The "Santa Claus" is probably the main reason I would not take my 5 year old. I am not really worried about her safety in our Walmart because everyone knows everyone else. But, she does still believe in SAnta Claus and she is too smart for me to try to hide things in the buggy..lol. I also would not take her because I know for a fact that it would be a miserable experience for both her and me and daddy if he goes. She would be tired and hungry and therefore ill. No reason to put her through that. Thankfully my hubby is usually off work so he can keep the kids. THis year hubby went also, but would have stayed at home if my mom and dad would not have been able to keep her. The boys are 13 and we would have taken them with us if we needed to, but we were also out to get their Christmas so we were glad that DHs parents kept them so we could have at least one thing for them that is going to be a surprise.

I am the odd ball. I am a single mom and no sitter and I HAD to take my kids out because they had items available they never have for my babies. I already purchased their santa gifts. My kids know what I bought bf was from me but I only got them the xbox. I picked up toys for the babies who know no better. Mine still believe in santa claus but to get what I wanted I had to go out. My kids stayed by my side, where well behaved and did have the opportunity to sleep, which they did. We weren't out all night. We hit walmart, came home to sleep, then went back out about 9:30 am. Some people have no choice. I do not agree with the teens hanging at the mall and just loitering. That's wrong. I also understand if kids were bothering people. Many people I don't believe have sitters and yes maybe we should stay home but then we'd miss out and that's not fair either. Those fisher price toys you can't get in store or online(I did look and enver saw them) and they don't sell them any other time.

I am the odd ball. I am a single mom and no sitter and I HAD to take my kids out because they had items available they never have for my babies. I already purchased their santa gifts. My kids know what I bought bf was from me but I only got them the xbox. I picked up toys for the babies who know no better. Mine still believe in santa claus but to get what I wanted I had to go out. My kids stayed by my side, where well behaved and did have the opportunity to sleep, which they did. We weren't out all night. We hit walmart, came home to sleep, then went back out about 9:30 am. Some people have no choice. I do not agree with the teens hanging at the mall and just loitering. That's wrong. I also understand if kids were bothering people. Many people I don't believe have sitters and yes maybe we should stay home but then we'd miss out and that's not fair either. Those fisher price toys you can't get in store or online(I did look and enver saw them) and they don't sell them any other time.

I don't think you're an oddball... if your kids are behaved, you had no other choice, and you let them sleep that's perfectly fine. I think the parents that didn't let their kids sleep were the ones with crying children. MOST of the babies I saw were with both parents and/or multiple adults. I dont think that's as excusable compared to a single mother or father.

Oh my goodness, it was the same way where I was shopping! I feel like the teens would not have gotten up at 4am but with all of the stores opening at midnight it was something to do. Mid way through the night they were all just laying around on the floor all over the mall. As if it wasn't crowded enough!

Same way here- and they were doing the teenage tormenting thing to adults. Absolutely ridiculous. There were tons of kids out, and I think it's pretty sad that the parents would do that. Sure, I've had my kids out late before, but it was typically for a legitimate reason.

I'm of the mindset that if you wouldn't take your kid to a mosh pit, leave them home. Many of the people I saw wouldn't drive across the 'bad side of town' with a child, so how is this better? If I don't have a sitter, I'll stay home. No point in putting your child in the middle of a riot for $1 towels.

The one that made me so mad was the lady with her baby in a sling carrier (one of those that looks like a curtain tied around your shoulder). The baby wasn't a month old and she was fighting for sheets at Walmart.

Our bars close at 1:00 a.m. and Thanksgiving is a huge business day for bars- so let's throw drunks, screaming babies, idiot teenagers and exhausted moms (from cooking all day, cleaning all afternoon, and shopping all night) out into the busiest traffic day of the year. I was terrified at the size of the gun line at the sporting goods shop!

Our bars close at 1:00 a.m. and Thanksgiving is a huge business day for bars- so let's throw drunks, screaming babies, idiot teenagers and exhausted moms (from cooking all day, cleaning all afternoon, and shopping all night) out into the busiest traffic day of the year.

Our lights were still out on anything but the MOST major of roads at 3:30am on Friday morning. I thought that was really irresponsible of the city.

I have always told my children when they turn 12 they can go with me , they are now 24,21,14 and 12 we never ever has a problem till this year. My 24 year old and 12 year old were on movies and some guy, pulled my 12 year old away from the movies at 10.00 pm and shoved him down an isle just as they started the sale, for 15 minutes we could not find him, we had security and people looking for him, My 14 year old got trapped between people and went into a full fledged panic attack where had to get her out of the store and where she tremored and shook for 30 minutes out side the store where people reported some one having a seizure, there for I then had the store manager again and several police officers outside as I was talking her down. Then in after price matching Xbox live cards the system decided to have a stroke after I paid with my debit card and I am still waiting for walmart to put the money back in my account.Was in Walmart at 6 for the Xbox deal, and then dealing with everything didn't get out of there til 2:30 am was in no mood to go shopping and beside had to pay double for my shopping experience at Walmart. Which I hope to finally have my money back tomorrow after i have missed all the sales

Babies and toddlers belong at home-period. No toy or doorbuster is worth a child's safety, but clearly many people just don't give a damn. You can plan all you want, they can be the best kids ever, they can be in the cart but what can you never plan for? All the other people in the store and what they will do. THAT is what is risky. You don't know if the person standing next to you will act civilly or use pepper spray and I have yet to hear a reason making taking small children to BF okay.

Babies and toddlers belong at home-period. No toy or doorbuster is worth a child's safety, but clearly many people just don't give a damn. You can plan all you want, they can be the best kids ever, they can be in the cart but what can you never plan for? All the other people in the store and what they will do. THAT is what is risky. You don't know if the person standing next to you will act civilly or use pepper spray and I have yet to hear a reason making taking small children to BF okay.

I disagree with you on some parts. A child can be safe as long as they stay with their parents in most cases. However, if I lived in a big town I probably would try my absolute best not to have to take out the kids. I am blessed enough that I don't have to worry about taking my kids. My boys are 13 and gave them an opportunity to go but tehy chose not to. My 5 year old I did not take bc she does not do well late at night.

If you are standing in line for something in which you get a ticket, I really don't see anything wrong with taking your kids provided that you can make sure they get teh sleep and snacks that they need. Also, if you live somewhere and you know that it is known for violence I would not go. If it is a Walmart like ours, I see nothing wrong with taking the younger kids if you choose to. I would just not take them to the video game/movie section or to the towels/bedsheet section since these two places are where it seems most fights broke out.

Some people rely on BF prices to be able to provide their kids a decent Christmas. It is not fair to those that have no one to keep their kids to miss out. I do agree that if their are two parents then maybe one of them should have stayed at home.

I don't think you're an oddball... if your kids are behaved, you had no other choice, and you let them sleep that's perfectly fine. I think the parents that didn't let their kids sleep were the ones with crying children. MOST of the babies I saw were with both parents and/or multiple adults. I dont think that's as excusable compared to a single mother or father.

I agree with you. There are some people who do not have a choice but to take their kids. As long as they are well fed and have the opportunity to sleep and well behaved and you can keep them safe, I see nothing wrong with taking them.

I think the really sad part of this discussion is the fact that it can be unsafe to take kids now. I think it is rediculous how people are acting nowadays over saving money. While I am one of those people that depend on BF prices to provide my kids a Christmas, I would not dare think to fight someone or push someone out of the way to get what I would like to have. It just saddens me to know that the world has come to this.

I was in Children's Place at 3 a.m. There was a woman there with her mother and 3 kids. She had a little girl who was about 5, a boy who was about 18 months old and a newborn baby. The baby was sound asleep in a stroller. I don't know how she got that stroller through all of the crowds in the mall. The 18 month old was apparently sick. He was coughing this horrible croupy cough and he and the 5 year old were crying and whining that they were tired. Mom and Grandma just ignored them and kept right on shopping. I felt so bad for the poor kids. Kids that age have no business being out that time of night.

I posted something about it on FB and someone got all offended. She said she always used to take her kids out and how some people don't have a choice. I let it go but I so badly wanted to say "yes, you do have a choice." If you don't have a sitter, stay home. There has been one year since I started BF shopping that I didn't go and that was the year my DD was born. She was born at the beginning of November so she was only a few weeks old come BF. I was breastfeeding so I couldn't leave for long and I wasn't ready to be separated from her anyway. There was no way I was taking her out in the cold, in the middle of the night, to go shopping in crowded stores with strangers breathing their nasty germs all over my newborn. I shopped from home that year.

I have always told my children when they turn 12 they can go with me , they are now 24,21,14 and 12 we never ever has a problem till this year.

I am so sorry your BF turned out so badly this year :( Hopefully everyone is ok now and $ is resolved ASAP.

Any deals you missed out on that you need us to keep an eye out for?

I am so sorry your BF turned out so badly this year :( Hopefully everyone is ok now and $ is resolved ASAP.

Any deals you missed out on that you need us to keep an eye out for?

We are better thanks, still waiting on my money hopefully today. The items I was going after wont be onsale again till next year, and my thoughts are if it was meant to be it would have been. But thanks for the offer

I disagree with you on some parts. A child can be safe as long as they stay with their parents in most cases. However, if I lived in a big town I probably would try my absolute best not to have to take out the kids. I am blessed enough that I don't have to worry about taking my kids. My boys are 13 and gave them an opportunity to go but tehy chose not to. My 5 year old I did not take bc she does not do well late at night.

If you are standing in line for something in which you get a ticket, I really don't see anything wrong with taking your kids provided that you can make sure they get teh sleep and snacks that they need. Also, if you live somewhere and you know that it is known for violence I would not go. If it is a Walmart like ours, I see nothing wrong with taking the younger kids if you choose to. I would just not take them to the video game/movie section or to the towels/bedsheet section since these two places are where it seems most fights broke out.

Some people rely on BF prices to be able to provide their kids a decent Christmas. It is not fair to those that have no one to keep their kids to miss out. I do agree that if their are two parents then maybe one of them should have stayed at home.

I live in a very small town and yet I managed to get my head slammed into a pallet and at least one child that I saw got hurt when the basket their parent was holding got over turned by people pushing and rushing. I don't know what a good solution would be, but I personally don't think taking young children out is responsible.