Limited Edition Blue Wii Console question

rccola18

ALL the Wii's can lie flat. This wii will play your Gamecube games. Anyone who tells you otherwise is misinformed.

I'm sorry but unless you have proof of that statement you are misinformed. All new Wiis being made will no support Gamecube games. If you look at my post here, http://forums.gottadeal.com/showthread.php?237279-Walmart-Black-Friday-Ad-Posted&p=1883608&viewfull=1#post1883608, as well as the other posts in that thread you'll see. It's highly likely that because other Wiis coming out don't support Gamecube games, that this one won't either.

EDIT - I will say you were right though that all Wiis can be laid flat.

ALL the Wii's can lie flat. This wii will play your Gamecube games. Anyone who tells you otherwise is misinformed.

Read earlier posts with the information that the Wii has been redesigned and no longer plays Gamecube games. There are links to various announcements.

My son has been telling me for a while that the new ones won't play gamecube games. He has about 50 gamecube games so we will buy a used one when ours gives out. There is no wii2, it's a wiiu, which is a handheld device that will work with your current wii. My son has been reading up on it for a long time, he can't wait to get it.

It looks like that may be the redesigned wii if you'll notice its laying on side in photo. All others have been standing up. The redesign has to lay down you don't have the option of standing it up. So id say yeah that's the new model without backwards compatibility. Really tho a gamecube is what about $20 at Gamestop if you already have a bunch of games for it. Still a ok deal I think I could do without that color tho. Edited by homedirt

The Wii Blue is the "New Wii" that can only lay flat. Engadget talked about this last month. The funny thing is all old Wii's lay flat!!!!!!!! There is also the Wii U coming out sometime next year.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/16/gamecube-free-wii-refresh-heads-to-north-america-competes-with/

I Just loved that the wii can be stood up, I have toooo many things that sit horizontally, DVR, PS3, drives me nuts..

It looks like that may be the redesigned wii if you'll notice its laying on side in photo. All others have been standing up. The redesign has to lay down you don't have the option of standing it up. So id say yeah that's the new model without backwards compatibility. Really tho a gamecube is what about $20 at Gamestop if you already have a bunch of games for it. Still a ok deal I think I could do without that color tho.

That's a good point about Gamestop. I hadn't thought about that. Online at Gamestop GC are $29.99.

My son has been telling me for a while that the new ones won't play gamecube games. He has about 50 gamecube games so we will buy a used one when ours gives out. There is no wii2, it's a wiiu, which is a handheld device that will work with your current wii. My son has been reading up on it for a long time, he can't wait to get it.

Hi, I just wanted to reply to this comment so as to clear up a little confusion. You're right there is no Wii 2, and probably never will be. The next Nintendo console is the Wii U, which may possibly be coming out late next year. Some may consider this the Wii 2, but that's not it's official name. As for this "handheld device" it isn't so much a handheld device as it is the new controller. It will features 6" touch screen along with the usual bevy of controls and buttons. This new controller will not work with the old Wiis available now, only with the new Wii U when it comes out. This will most likely apply for all the Wii U accessories. However, I should note that all Wii accessories (or at least I assume all of them, if not at the very least the most popular of them) will work with the Wii U. This shouldn't be surprising as the Wii U will play Wii games. One other thing to note is that the Wii U will be Nintendo's first HD console ever, with graphics that should give the 360 and the PS3 a run for their money. Also note that while this new console will make the new games look good, it won't weave any kind of magic to make your Wii games look any better than they already do.

So, there you have it. If you have any questions I can gladly answer them.

May be a little off topic, but there is actually a reason the new Wii is not called the Wii 2... because 2 in Japanese is Ni (pronounced knee). So it would be called the Wii-Ni.... just a little useless but factual trivia.

Alright, coffee actually came out of my nose when I read that. :tongue1: Could you imagine calling a store and asking if they had a Wii-Ni in stock?

As an alternative, Gamestop has a refurbised one with a one year replacement warranty for $79.99 in their newly released BF ad. You can pick up a refurb controller (which appears to have the same warranty) for $14.99. For $85 you get a Wii that will play Gamecube games for sure, 2 remotes plus $15 to apply to games (see their used game sale) and you won't have to fight the crowds.

May be a little off topic, but there is actually a reason the new Wii is not called the Wii 2... because 2 in Japanese is Ni (pronounced knee). So it would be called the Wii-Ni.... just a little useless but factual trivia.

haha how cute... I feel like calling it that now O_O

Thank you. After the day I've had, I needed that. LOL

:jester:

Hi, I just wanted to reply to this comment so as to clear up a little confusion. You're right there is no Wii 2, and probably never will be. The next Nintendo console is the Wii U, which may possibly be coming out late next year. Some may consider this the Wii 2, but that's not it's official name. As for this "handheld device" it isn't so much a handheld device as it is the new controller. It will features 6" touch screen along with the usual bevy of controls and buttons. This new controller will not work with the old Wiis available now, only with the new Wii U when it comes out. This will most likely apply for all the Wii U accessories. However, I should note that all Wii accessories (or at least I assume all of them, if not at the very least the most popular of them) will work with the Wii U. This shouldn't be surprising as the Wii U will play Wii games. One other thing to note is that the Wii U will be Nintendo's first HD console ever, with graphics that should give the 360 and the PS3 a run for their money. Also note that while this new console will make the new games look good, it won't weave any kind of magic to make your Wii games look any better than they already do.

So, there you have it. If you have any questions I can gladly answer them.

Kind of off-topic, since this question is about the Wii U... but will the Wii U be able to play DVDs?

That's another thing the Wii is lacking in comparison to Xbox & PS

Kind of off-topic, since this question is about the Wii U... but will the Wii U be able to play DVDs?

That's another thing the Wii is lacking in comparison to Xbox & PS

Sorry for not responding to this sooner, but I can tell you that most likely the Wii U will not be able to play DVDs or any kind of media for that matter (CDs, Blu-rays, etc.). The simple reason is that Nintendo doesn't develop entertainment platforms, they develop gaming platforms. They only focus on gaming. Plus if you think about in Nintendo's eyes they have no reason to support media playback. In today's modern society pretty much everyone that would want a Wii U is already going to have some kind of a DVD or Blu-ray player that would ultimately perform better than the Wii U itself could.

So while I won't swear with 100% definitive certainty that the Wii U will not play any DVDs, but if I was a betting man I'd be all-in on the Wii U not playing DVDs.