Never Done a Tree Before

bfaddict1977

We have only done a christmas tree once since my kids were born. All the ornaments have been lost. We had some really nice personalized ones too:( This year I'm on the fence about doing a tree. It'd be a fake tree. Can you do a nice fake tree with ornaments for around $150? I've priced the ornaments and they are expensive though. We don't do the bulbs. We do the kiddie ornaments. Thanks.

I think thats perfectly doable...or even cheaper. Try Craigslist. There are people that will start giving trees away for free and/or selling/ giving away ornaments for cheap! Or, try thrift stores. Plenty of ways to get very cheap decorations. Grab a box of popcorn and make decorations with your kids and have them help hang ornaments on the tree. I dont think it will matter so much as what the ornaments are vs. the time spent decorating it together.

Yes you can. Check out the thrift stores in your area. They should be starting to put Christmas decorations out. You may be able to find a tree and all kinds of kid ornaments.

Here's a 4ft Pre-lit tree for $39.99 + super saver shipping at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/SW-223-40-Celebrations-Prelit-Colored-Lights/dp/B005JFBXD4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320779628&sr=8-1

You all can even make ornaments for the tree. I still have a few that I made when I was a kid. All you'd need is some felt, fabric glue, glitter, ribbon, etc... (I have a small pine cone that has glitter on it and a loop for hanging made out of a plastic beaded necklace. :)

Michaels and Hobby Lobby has a lot of wooden ornaments that you can decorate with markers or paint. You may be able to find characters that the kids like too.

Have fun!

If you need something new (if kids have allergy issues, etc) I just saw today at Target, a $20.00 UNLIT tree 6 foot. It was pretty decent for 20.00

100 ct. of multi or clear minilights are only 2.69 at Lowes: http://www.lowes.com/pd_165142-84523-W11A0565_5003694__?productId=3488689&Ntt=christmas+lights&pl=1&curren I think 3 sets would be plenty

So far the tree and lights = approx 30.00 depending on what your local sales tax is. . .

Big Lots has tree skirts price 6-16 dolllars having trouble with the link --very pretty (I know Walmart had some inexpensive ones but now online no prices are listed... I'd budget 6 or 8 dollars for a skirt http://www.biglots.com/images/large/360027709.jpg

Do you do garland?

Beaded garland can be found for 1.oo at dollar tree stores, although the strands can be short, so many figure on 5 of those.../5.oo

tinsel type garland was I believe 4.98 and 5.98 at Walmart (I went a few days ago, that is regular price, I can't give you a link because Walmart has no price listed online) probably try to make 3 stretch if using this= approx 18.oo

ALso at Dollar tree:

are some nice glitter snowflakes they are white and look nice on trees, lights on tree really show them up.. I think those were 4/1.oo so you could buy maybe 5 sets of 4 = 5.oo

and

plastic candy canes, red/white or red/green/white these look very good on a tree too (especially a more kid-geared tree) But I really can't recall how many you get for a dollar....I think it was 4..... again maybe 5 sets = 5.oo

so If you do this my suggested way (which I would have loved if I were a kid:

Tree/lights = 30.oo

Skirt = 7.oo

BEADgarland 5.oo

Snowflakes 5.oo

Candy canes 5.oo

-----------------------------

so like 55.oo approx depending on taxes...

then you could go to target and get some of the 1-2 $ ornaments they are very cute, they have some shiny type, mittens made of felt, some wooden looking type, also jingle bell type ornaments...you could budget 20.oo to spend there and you are still only at about 75.oo and it is all NEW stuff.

There is also a recipe for homemade ornaments (I think it uses cinnamon, btw I got some last week walmart 50 cents Spice classic brand) the dough isn't too hard to work with. We made them and the ornaments have lasted over 10 years!

You can paint the dough, we used sequins on some and painted a gloss finish on them! We stuck a paper clip thru them right away before they'd dry and that is the hook. This is something that could be done on thanksgiving break, keeps them busy awhile, then you let them dry and could hang them up before they go back to class on Mon. or Tuesday!

150 seems do-able especially if you make some of the ornaments. Here's a page with lots of different ones you can make. I was thinking of these flour ones since a bag of flour doesn't cost much but if you make the sugar cookie ones you can eat as you go too:)

wow tinkrbel, how do you get your link to be blue and NAMED the thing it is like FLOUR... :)

wow tinkrbel, how do you get your link to be blue and NAMED the thing it is like FLOUR... :)

it's all very simple. just highlight whatever words you want to make the link and click the globe button with a funky shape and then paste the address there. HTH!

this early and that much money to decorate i would look on the local freecycle and see if you can get 2-3 trees.put them in different rooms and each kid can decorate their own. even table top trees would be cute. start now and make a thanksgiving tree decorate in fake fall foilage

Thank you :)

I've always wondered how to do this!

I know me too! but I am lucky I can copy and paste LOL...

I'm pretty good at pc stuff but honestly didn't know there was another way other than figuring out what the tags were and that was too much work to google. I think I looked it up in the help section a long time ago.

Are you making fun of me? Sadly despite being college educated I still cannot copy and paste or post pics. I also want to learn how to crochet..any volunteers, lol:D

Would we do that? :P You probably have a better chance at crocheting than me. My brain is practically allergic to anything artistic/crafty. The easiest way to copy and paste for you MIGHT BE to highlight stuff "right click" mouse select copy then go to wherever you want to put it and "right click" mouse and select paste. I prefer highlighting then hitting "ctrl" and "c" at same time to copy and afterwards "ctrl" and "v"(at same time) to paste but my mother seems to think that's MORE complicated.