How many Christmas gatherings does your family have?

leefamily23

I love all the gatherings, but it seems we get to the point we are just running, running, running. We start w/ the Saturday before Christmas (no matter the date) and have our immediate family dinner and gifts w/ my parents and sisters family. This is usually a full day event. Then on Christmas Eve (there is work for 1/2 day if weekday) then we go out to dinner, church, then to my Aunt & Uncles on my dad's side. This is truly traditiion as we've been going to their place since I was a baby. Back then there was only about 15 of us and last year we reached 60 people. Then Christmas my son goes w/ his dad after our morning at home is finished and we go to dh's family gathering for the afternoon. Usually the Saturday after Christmas my mother then has a post-holiday party w/ all sorts of family and friends to wind up the season.

I know compared to many that isn't too many gatherings, but I still feel like we don't have a moment to just stop and relax right around the actual holiday. We have cut out 2 other gatherings on Christmas Eve because of that day feeling too hectic. My husbands family has another gathering that day and my mom's family does too.

We used to have 2 to 3 dinners a day for Thanksgiving and Christmas. So we made a rule Thanksgiving we go to my family on that day and if Dh family has a dinner that we attend it has to be another day. Same with Christmas if my family has a dinner my mother in law has first dibs on what day she wants dinner. Then we plan the others around that. Sadly most of my extended family has passed so its just our parents and siblings. But we make the most of it. Love the holidays.

It used to be crazy when I lived in NY since I always hosted all the family and friends events. Since I moved now we just have Christmas eve with my family and the few friends I have that are close here including my bff who is my daughters godfather. Then on Christmas it is just us and if anyone is visiting us for the holidays but I still have a huge family dinner. I love the holidays and as crazy as it was, I really miss all the big gatherings we used to have...

We have several gatherings for Christmas. The first one is usually with my dad's family. We usually have it the 2nd Saturday. This is by far the largest one. It is most of my aunts, uncles, cousins, and their kids.

Next we usually have our church's Christmas dinner. That is usually the 2nd or 3rd Sunday.

Next is my family gathering. We used to have it Christmas Eve, but year before last we did it on the 23rd and last year we did it on the Saturday before Christmas. My mom was about to have to start kidney dialysis and wasn't sure on the date, so we decided to do it early. I am hoping that we can go back to doing it on the 23rd this year.

Then we have my husband's family on Christmas night. My BIL is divorced and that is when he gets his son, so that is when we do our Christmas.

christmas morning is set aside for our family. It is always just me, DH, and kids. We usually get up and the kids open their presents. Then I usually fix a big breakfast. Once we get that cleaned up I usually finish cooking the meal for later that evening.

We usually also go to the Nursing home Christmas Party. Sometimes I sing. This year i am hoping we get invited again so my DD, 5, can sing. She loves to sing and I know she would enjoy it.

Our family is pretty small, so we don't have too many places to go, but until last year it used to go something like this:

Christmas Eve: Travel an hour and a half to my parents' house where we would have all of the extended family for a wonderful Christmas Eve get-together. We've been doing this ever since I can remember! I would help my Mom get things ready while my dh would take our ds up to see his siter's family and then meet back up with us in time for dinner. We would then drive all the way back home, usually late at night, so we could have Christmas morning at our house.

Christmas Day: Get up early and open presents. I usually make breakfast in the crockpot and let it go all night. That way we're not rushing to make breakfast because we have to get back in the car, drive the hour and a half again to go to celebrate with dh's sister and her family during the afternoon and then back to my parents' house to open presents with just the immediate family. It made for an extremely long two days.

Last year, however, it worked out perfectly!! Most of my extended family has either passed away (R.I.P.), moved or have gotten married and started their own families so it was the first year we didn't have our annual Christmas Eve get-together. DH's sister's family and in-law came to us instead and the only place we had to go on Christmas Day was my parents' house. Hoping it's the same way this year.

All of the traveling used to stress me out to no end, but I came to the realization that it's only once a year and how many wonderful memories do I have from it all!

The past 4 years we lived over 4,000 miles away from family so we rarely spent Christmas with them. This year, we're about 1,800 miles, so it looks like it'll just be me, DH and DS! Which is more than ok with us. However, if we were home, Christmas eve is at my sister's house, then we'd visit DH's extended family the week after (there's like 9 brothers and sisters, so every day the week after is usually spent visiting their houses). Then the sunday after New Years's day is DH's Family Party. Have I mentioned I'm glad we're in Colorado??

We have Christmas eve at my Grandma's (about two hours from here), then we drive back home to have Christmas morning here and see what Santa brought, then jump in the car and drive an hour and a half to my sister's for lunch (same side of the state as my Grandma's, everyone lives close but us). After this, we used to then drive four hours down to my husband's family, but a couple of years ago my husband said no more to that because it was just too much and the kids were sad to leave all their new toys, so we started going down the weekend before or after, however this year that is going to change more because my littlest is very very allergic to something down where his family is (she has severe allergic asthma, and last year the trip the weekend before Christmas set her off so bad that we very nearly spent Christmas in the hospital), so the little one and I are staying here for sure, I think I am going to make him take the other kids down though because I feel bad everyone not going, but we just can't take the little one, we have tried two trips down there since she has gotten so severe and both times was a nightmare- when you have to start a breathing treatment within 10 minutes of walking through the door, something is bad.

When we lived in NY December was always so crazy! We had some family gatherings that started mid month, and it seemed like once you went to the first one, it was every weekend until. Then Christmas Eve and day we had to visit about 6 different places between the two. I sometimes miss maybe one of those get togethers, but other than that I really love the quiet we have now being so far away. It gives me the chance to enjoy it more with my kids!

Well, my husband is in the military and we've never been stationed near family, so most of the gatherings we attend in our local area are work related or with friends and happen in the weeks leading up to the holidays and December can get quite busy. The actual holidays we are able to spend just as a family though, and we love it!

Where we are currently, we are a 7 hour drive from my parents. One year we did go down to my parents for an annual gathering they have between Christmas and New Years, but that was more because everyone knew it was my sister-in-laws last Christmas. But it's simply not a trip that we would make every year, way to stressful.

We only have one gathering per holiday and we host all family gatherings. My family is 1500 miles away so we don't get to see them around the holidays unless they are here. My husbands family lives here but his mom is getting to old to make a big dinner any more, so I have officially taken over. I LOVE cooking and having people at the house so it is a lot easier to me. Plus we have a lot of friends who don't have family around here to celebrate with and they come over too.

1 Thanksgiving and I do most of the cooking, but I have started asking DILS and DD to bring 1 dish and drinks. The kids and I usually meet at the my inlaws house on Christmas Eve, this year it will be a day earlier. Then usually get together for Breakfast Christmas Day with my parents. This year parents are out of the country, and Christmas is on a Sunday (which means church for most of us) so I think we are getting together on the Monday after Christmas.

When we lived in NY we had to go to 3 different houses for Christmas.

We now only have everyone over our house for Christmas Eve and then my parents normally come over Christmas morning to give the boys their gifts. My Mom and Dad give a lot more than my inlaws so my mom likes doing theirs later.

This year it will just be me but Skype with the DS...we will open gifts together and eat together via Skype. No family really anymore. I am envious of all your gatherings :(

I am grateful for the technology of Skype as it will be almost like really being together :fluffy:

We have a ton of them! Usually the weekend before Christmas we do it with my parents. Christmas Eve (lunch) we go to my in laws Christmas Eve night we go to my grandmas on my dads side. Christmas Day we have our own family Christmas to see what santa brought then we go to dh grandmas (dads side) then we head over to my grandmas house (my moms parents) Lots of running around thankfully all of dh family lives in the same town as us but my family doesn't! Then the weekend after Christmas we go to dh grandmas (moms side)!

This year it will just be me but Skype with the DS...we will open gifts together and eat together via Skype. No family really anymore. I am envious of all your gatherings :(

I am grateful for the technology of Skype as it will be almost like really being together :fluffy:

We still have some family but no place good to meet so that's why we do Chinese... Hoping to have the apartment in shape to have my mom and youngest brother over after lunch to have dessert etc. Still have stuff in the old house that needs to come over. Might work on the house while I listen to the broadcast tonight... FInding places to store things in closets now.

I wish I knew!

It seems to change every year as the family chages. In the past the one constant has been that DH's Grandma insists everyone spend Christmas Eve night with her, but this year she is talking about going to visit family out of state for Christmas, so who knows what will happen. Christmas Day is spent with DH's family. Thanksgiving is at my sister's this year, then she will come to my house for "Christmas" sometime TBD - based on work schedules and weather it could be anytime between Christmas and New Year's. Since my family is a smaller group (me, sis, dad, and sometimes some cousins), we're able to be flexible. We tend to do all the "in-law" gatherings when they have them, then get together on a differnt day (often New Year's Eve) when we can spend some time without rushing off to other things.

Last year things didn't work out so great because I put our family on the side. We went to the big family gathering on Christmas Eve, then to MIL's on Christmas Day. Grandma wanted to see the kids in the morning, so we went over there first thing, right after the kids opened their stockings. Well, the rest of the family didn't get there until hours later. We ended up staying for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. By the time we got home my (young) kids were asleep in the car. I wanted to wait till the next morning to have the kids open thier gifts, but DH insisted that they should open them on Christmas. Well, I started passing out the gifts, the (overtired) kids were going nuts, and DH managed to fall asleep on the couch! It was choas and not nearly as fun as it could have been - for me or the kids. I put a lot of work into the holidays - too much work to rush through it in our sleep. This year I know better. We will take Christmas morning for our family (and my sis, if she's in town), but I'm not leaving my house until the kids get a chance to open the gifts.

Thanksgiving with the in laws. Being a nurse no real tradition since the rest of my family is getting old enough they don't travel well and I usually am working the holiday. I've kind of adapted the feelings that the actual Christmas thought is over rated. It's more about the entire year ling feelings. I guess the recession has taken it's toll after 5 hard years.