Xbox 360 or ps3

bfaddict1977

Which one for a 5 yr old boy rhx

We have both, and they are both awesome systems. I bought the PS3 when it was first released, thinking that DH and DS could share it, however I quickly noticed that PS3 had very little kid friendly games. We ended up buying the XBox 360 for DS because of that.

I've noticed that xbox does have more kid friendly games. Did he ask for both of them? Maybe you could bring him to Best Buy or Target and have him play the xbox and playstation, and see which one he prefers. Since the controllers are different, he may prefer one over the other. Or one of them may be easier to use.

I wouldn't buyu either of those for a young child. The wii , in my opinion is the best childs system there is. I have 3 small grandchildren and a teen son at home and our wii gets so much use. It's so kid friendly. The little ones love to do the wii fit. My oldest has teh xbox and playstation and they hve more of the older fighting games.

I also dont think the Xbox360 is good for a 5 year old. Most of the games are geared towards teens. I think the wii would be a much better choice since it is geared towards

younger kids and families. We have both the Wii and the Xbox360 and ds15 loves the Xbox but he is a teen lol

My family must be lazier than most. Lol. We have the Wii, but the biggest workout it ever gets is when I take a notion to use my Wii fit board. No matter which system you buy, check out the Legos games. They are available on all 3 systems and are appropriate for all ages. They come in Star Wars, Pirates of the Carribean, Harry Potter, Batman, and Indiana Jones to name a few.

I plan on getting my husband an XBox 360 this year, but since I know my kids are going to play with it too, I'm getting the kinect bundle and a handful of kinect games. We have a Wii already that gets a fair amount of use, I just thought it would be fun to have a bit more variety. Does your 5 year old already have a nintendo ds? That's one item that my 5 year old son has been asking for ever since his older sister got one last year for Christmas, and there are tons of kid friendly games for the nintendo ds.

yes he's getting a ds lite and an ipoad and I have no idea what his "BIG" gift is. Everything else right now is little but the xbox would be big. I saw 1-2 kid friendly games I'd like and I'd get the $199 one. If not the xbox os ps3 what other ideas for a BIG gift for a 5 yr old. Last yr he got a train table but he never played with it. This yr my yds is getting the train set. New table too cuz the imaginarium one was junk:( I know the ipod and ds could be big gifts too but I don't count those.

I really think the ipod and ds work great as big gifts for you DS5. At his age he's still developing his motor skills and while the ds will help with hand/eye coordination and the ipod will be great for music. I think toys are still perfect for him. Big trucks, cool dinosaurs, Lincoln Logs or a cool radio controlled car, etc... He has plenty of time for the Xbox and PS3.

Besides, if you get all the big gifts now, there's less to buy next year and the year after that. Xbox and Playstation won't be replacing their systems anytime soon. There will be a new wii (Wii U) and a hand held sony game system (Vita) soon, but from the looks of it the sony games are far from kid friendly.

I really think the ipod and ds work great as big gifts for you DS5. At his age he's still developing his motor skills and while the ds will help with hand/eye coordination and the ipod will be great for music. I think toys are still perfect for him. Big trucks, cool dinosaurs, Lincoln Logs or a cool radio controlled car, etc... He has plenty of time for the Xbox and PS3.

Besides, if you get all the big gifts now, there's less to buy next year and the year after that. Xbox and Playstation won't be replacing their systems anytime soon. There will be a new wii (Wii U) and a hand held sony game system (Vita) soon, but from the looks of it the sony games are far from kid friendly.

I second Kibit13. That is alot of electronics for 5 years old. Your gonna want to make sure he's gonna take care of those expensive toys. As boys grow, their toys shrink. They get smaller and more EXPENSIVE. It's depressing when you get all their gifts under the tree, and they take up so little room for the huge hit your wallet just took. You will definately want to save a few big toys to buy for the near future. I am in that boat myself now. My DS13 has EVERYTHING in the video game department, and Ipod Touch, and a laptop of his own. Just when I thought he had nothing else to ask for, wouldn't ya know he wants a Ipad2. Now I'm already thinking "What am I gonna get him next year". Luckily Playstation Vita and Wii U will be out.

Edited by Kim3498

I second Kibit13. That is alot of electronics for 5 years old. Your gonna want to make sure he's gonna take care of those expensive toys. As boys grow, their toys shrink. They get smaller and more EXPENSIVE. It's depressing when you get all their gifts under the tree, and they take up so little room for the huge hit your wallet just took. You will definately want to save a few big toys to buy for the near future. I am in that boat myself now. My DS13 has EVERYTHING in the video game department, and Ipod Touch, and a laptop of his own. Just when I thought he had nothing else to ask for, wouldn't ya know he wants a Ipad2. Now I'm already thinking "What am I gonna get him next year". Luckily Playstation Vita and Wii U will be out.

I agree! My daughter will be 5 Monday and I am thinking about getting her a DS. Her other big gift will probably be a trampoline. I want to encourage her to be outside. My boys are 13 and they have the PS2. They still make a lot of games for the PS2 and it would be a little bit cheaper system. I would save some of the big stuff for later though. My daughter is also getting several Littlest Pet shop toys, Strawberry Shortcake, and Lalaloopsy. I think it is important at this age to take full advantage of the cheaper toys...lol.

thanks. I am going to look for a big toy for him. I'm forgetting the game system. He is young for it and you're right, he has plenty of time. We got some wii games and ds games so he'll be good. I just don't want him feeling left out as his big sister got a netbook and little sister is getting a big doll house so what for him?

thanks. I am going to look for a big toy for him. I'm forgetting the game system. He is young for it and you're right, he has plenty of time. We got some wii games and ds games so he'll be good. I just don't want him feeling left out as his big sister got a netbook and little sister is getting a big doll house so what for him?

I don't think you will regret that decision. Kids mature so fast now. Encourage him to be a child as long as possible. What does he like? My DS loved those Playmobil sets at that age. He had the complete Viking and Pirate set. Heres a link for the pirate ship http://www.toysrus.com/product/prodpop.jsp?LargeImageURL=http%3A//TRUS.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pTRU1-5419448dt.jpg&displayTab=enh&productId=3368229&totCount=0 along with the adventure island http://www.toysrus.com/product/prodpop.jsp?LargeImageURL=http%3A//TRUS.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pTRU1-11216146dt.jpg&displayTab=enh&productId=12113410&totCount=0. ToysRus has a ton of Pirates stuff. Here is a link to more http://www.toysrus.com/search/index.jsp?sr=1&f=Taxonomy%2FTRUS%2F2254197&kw=playmobile+pirates&origkw=playmobile+pirates&kwCatId=&pg=1 He played for hours with these sets. They are available in many different sets, but DS just loved the pirates for some reason. Its perfect for a boy. I actually reboxed them once he outgrew it and kept it.

Edited by Kim3498

trampoline or maybe a basketball goal.

I agree with Kim 3498 that Playmobile sets are perfect. My boys loved them. Or maybe even legos sets. I still have all of the boys legos that they had when they were younger and my daughter plays with them now..

What kind of things is he interested in?

I so get this thread. I always had to have something "big" . Even if it was not pricey just "big". I would say a new bike or scooter or at that age my little boy got one of those little 4 wheelers. The real ones not the battery powered ones. Boys are hard to me at any age. Good luck for that special eye brightning gift.