Official Black Friday TABLET & E-READER Discussion Thread

Brad

thanks. our library does overdrive, so we have access to those books for free as well. The basic kindle does play games (look here http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=sv_kinc_5_US?_encoding=UTF8&node=2534114011), but it's not well suited for them in my opinion. The controls are very simple, so moving the curser with precision or entering text are a challenge to a non-texter like me.

It is very easy, you buy a gift card and send it your own amazon account. They will email you the gift card. SImply select apply to account and it will take you to your amazon account. Apply the gift card to your account. THen open your kindle fire preorder and select apply gift balance to this order. IT comes right off. Everyone who isn't familiar with amazon, here's the best thing about them. If hyou break that kindle or it quits working, simply call amazon and they send you a new one out overnight most times. You have 30 days to return teh broken one with their prepaid label. THey are WONDERFUL. One lady dropped hers in teh kitchen sink and they overnighted her a new one. THey are unreal. My son originally wanted an Ipod Touch just for the apps. He has a nice mp3 player, but he can stream movies or put his psp movies directly on the fire. For more info, go to amazon.com kindle forums. I go on there daily to get more info and learn all I can about them.

Do you know if you are able to buy the amazon kindle gift cards that they sell at Target to apply towards my balance, or are they strickly for downloading new books and apps?

Also, what are amazon payments? I was reading about them, but am unsure if I have understood correctly. You can register your bank account and then deposit money from your bank account to your amazon payment account to apply towards your balance? Or no? Is it like the amazon version of paypal?

Thanks for the tip about the kindle message board. I will be sure to check them out. I pre-ordered my Kindle Fire tonight. SO excited! :)

I don't know if this has been asked or not. I have been longing for the Nook Color, but the the Kindle Fire came out recently. I would love the e-mail access, e-reader, word viewing/editing ability, and games. How does the Nook Color compare to the Kindle Fire. I read some updates views of Nook Color, which they have tagged as E-reader tablet. I would love to get both, but which is more desirable, if I had to pick between the two. I have the original Nook already. Thoughts would be appreciated.

Personally, I would opt for the less expensive fire and subscribe to prime. Free shipping on Amazon plus unlimited access to movies and tv are very compelling for $80/yr -- might even ween me off netflix. BUT REMEMBER that the Color Nook II was rumored to be released in September then October, so it would not surprise me if the release coincided with or preempted the availability of the Fire.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2393737,00.asp#fbid=4KdomxitGwF

The differences between the Kindle Fire and the Nook Color boil down similarly to a company vs. company debate. The specs of the two devices are nearly the same: 7-inch tablets running heavily customized versions of Android, 8GB of internal storage (though the Nook Color has a micro SD slot), 8-hour battery life, Wi-Fi, and even similar dimensions and weight. Barnes & Noble boasts a giant bookstore with tons of periodicals, newspapers, and even children’s books; Amazon does the same. If you’re already in the Barnes & Noble ecosystem, it’s difficult to leave it for Amazon, but Amazon’s offering of music, movies, and TV shows in addition to its book library is awfully compelling.

Of course, the rumor mill is churning with talk that a new Nook Color is in store, so Barnes & Noble could be poised to leapfrog the Kindle Fire as it did to the Kindle with its Nook Touch Reader.

Below, we’ve rounded up and compared some of the key specs and features of the Kindle Fire, the iPad 2, and the Nook Color. It’s already a very competitive tablet market, and it will be very interesting to see what people choose for themselves and their loved ones.

The Nook color is just a backlit reader. IT is nothing compared to the fire. For one thing their customer service is horrible. Ifyou break your kindle , you call amazon and they will overnight hyou a new one and you have 30 days to return the damaged one. If you want a reader only , don't buy the fire, it's a tablet with a backlit screen , although it is color. The regular kindles have a pearl eink screen which mimics books, you can read in the sunlight, which you can't do with Nook color or the fire .

I don't know if this has been asked or not. I have been longing for the Nook Color, but the the Kindle Fire came out recently. I would love the e-mail access, e-reader, word viewing/editing ability, and games. How does the Nook Color compare to the Kindle Fire. I read some updates views of Nook Color, which they have tagged as E-reader tablet. I would love to get both, but which is more desirable, if I had to pick between the two. I have the original Nook already. Thoughts would be appreciated.

All amazon gift cards are the same and you can apply them towards your balance, but if you buy them from target you pay tax, if you buy them from amazon, it's immediate and you pay no tax. I buy whatever I can because they don't charge taax. I have never heard of amazon payments. I will check into it.

Do you know if you are able to buy the amazon kindle gift cards that they sell at Target to apply towards my balance, or are they strickly for downloading new books and apps?

Also, what are amazon payments? I was reading about them, but am unsure if I have understood correctly. You can register your bank account and then deposit money from your bank account to your amazon payment account to apply towards your balance? Or no? Is it like the amazon version of paypal?

Thanks for the tip about the kindle message board. I will be sure to check them out. I pre-ordered my Kindle Fire tonight. SO excited! :)

I think it's great. It's a wonderful compromise for the expensive ipad. My 14 year old is very excited to have this on his xmas list. We already have lots of movies for his psp that will work fine . He's really excited about the gaming apps. He asked for a ITOUCH last year and then changed his mind. No one beats amazon is customer service. YOu can sit on your kindle or have problems and if you call amzon they send you a new one next day and give you a month to return teh bad one. I encourage a 3 year square trade warranty with accident coverage though. I paid 20 for mine witha coupon code I found on ehre. YOu have 90n days after purchase to get one. If you ahve a problem after your 1 year amazon wararnty goes out, they just send you a check to buy a new one.

I've never purchased a warranty from square trade do you think that's better than buying the extended warranties from where you purchase a Kindle product?

Definitely. THe extended warranties are just like the regulare kindle warranty and are expensive. THe square trade warranties for the kindle include acd. accidental damage. You can step on it and they will just send you a check to buy a new unit. The extended waranties you buy from amazon ,etc, amazon will send you a refurbished unit if it's been after 30 days. Within 30 days it is a new unit.

There's a 7 in colby tablet at toys r us for $179.99. It's only on sale this week. Has a camera and mic. Is this a good deal? Are colby's any good? Thanks.

What age group is this for, if it's for a child that wants to play angry birds and maybe some stuff like that, it might be okay but the less expensive ones are not as responsive to the touch, using a MID right now and have played with a pandigital as well...Fun to tinker with to see if I want to spend money when I have it to get something better... These were refurbs so not a lot of money in them...

I am thinking about getting a tablet for my DS who is turning 16 on the 21st of December. I am looking for something that he would be able to take with him to varsity meets,

long trips on the school bus, long car rides etc so he can keep on top of school work. This year he is taking 2 very weighted classes. Advanced Placement World History and Engineering 2.

During the Summer he had a ton of homework for the AP course. He had several chapters he had to outline, vocab words, essays he had to write etc. He was stuck only able to work on it when he was home not when he was out or at work on his breaks.

My question is would the Ipad or is there something similar be something that he can use. I am looking that he can do the written stuff on, then email himself to his regular desktop computer. I know some tablets are better than others, we have a cheapo one that we got for DD13 to read on and play some apps. Which tablets are strong enough to have some kind of word processor on it that he can do school work on then transfer to his regular computer either by email or flash drive.

I have been thinking of something really special to get him, since it is his 16th Birthday and he has decided to take such hard classes that we don't want him to fall behind once swim season starts. He has some meets that are as far away as 3 hours, I figure he could do work on the bus there and back (or in the car if I go to the meet and bring him home). He also has swim meets that are all day events, that he can do work also. The more into school we go the more work he is getting.

Thanks for any and all help

@racerfan

For your son it sounds like a small laptop or Ipad would be best, sure on either he can relax and play but to get any real work done he needs something with more power. Also on either he can set up a free dropbox or sugarsync account and when on wifi/3g it will transfer his files so he doesn't have to worry about emailing them and adds the protection of backups. With those options he can get 3g for the away time or you can leave them wifi and he can upload and download from home.

Racerfan-

My DD goes to one of the top tech colleges in the US and this is the laptop they provide every incoming freshman: http://www.gearxs.com/gearxs/product_info.php?products_id=15717

It's really cool, the screen flips around flat and turns it into a tablet that she can take notes on using a stylus. It may be something to look at instead of an ipad/etc.

I am hoping for a great price on a tablet with at least a 10" screen. I have been researching them for about 2 weeks and have experienced technical overload...lol. I really just want it to take along with me instead of dragging my laptop with me. Will keep checking this board for any and all suggestions. Obviously, I already understand that you get what you pay for. I really would like to keep my price around $250.00 or less.

There's a 7 in colby tablet at toys r us for $179.99. It's only on sale this week. Has a camera and mic. Is this a good deal? Are colby's any good? Thanks.

I've bought Colby items in the past, they are so bad they aren't even worth recycling. You'd be much better off putting a few more dollars and go for a decent (doesn't have to be top of the line) brand that has a trusted reputation.

I really hope there will be some tablet deals that could be available on the web (not Amazon, but Best Buy maybe?) because I may not be able to do my annual shopping on Black Friday...my parents have to host my dad's side of the family for Thanksgiving (70+ people including my immediate family) and we are staying at the property my parents own in the country the night before thanksgiving and probably the night of thanksgiving. I might be able to shop online thanksgiving morning or night....but usually the deals I want are in store only (like some of the deals at Target). That's why I want a decent tablet deal (not a cheap brand like Colby) if there are any deals.

You guys may want to look at the 7" HTC Flyer... Best Buy recently dropped the price to $299, and it's probably safe to assume that these could go even cheaper by the time BF hits. I wouldn't say that HTC is getting out of the tablet business, but they may be preparing a newer model, hence the recent price drop, and even at this price, it's a good deal for those looking for an Ipad alternative.

DS13 is wanting a Ipad2. I'm tempted to go ahead and take the plunge and buy it now, but somethings holding me back..... I know Apple never lowers the price, but I'm wondering if it might come with a giftcard or a free case. What are you other Ipad 2 buyers out there gonna do?

I have just started looking at the Ipad2 as a possible gift for DS for Bday/Xmas from his Grandpa. I want to make sure it can do what we are hoping it can do. No one has been able to tell me if a word processing program can be put on it. I was hoping to get one at Walmart so I could put it on layaway and it wont be in the house for snoopy people to find it :D Someone mentioned another table above and plan on checking it out tomorrow when I stop in at Best Buy.

I know last year the Ipad was $50 off on BF thru the Apple Store. BB also had a deal I think something back with purchase.

There are word/text processing for the ipad. For me, the onscreen keyboard is better suited to textin than word processing. That means a keyboard of some kind would be required. These have to be bluetooth/expensive. i would look at the highly acclaimed, much less expensive asus transformer coupled with the keyboard docking station which also doubles battery life.

I have just started looking at the Ipad2 as a possible gift for DS for Bday/Xmas from his Grandpa. I want to make sure it can do what we are hoping it can do. No one has been able to tell me if a word processing program can be put on it. I was hoping to get one at Walmart so I could put it on layaway and it wont be in the house for snoopy people to find it :D Someone mentioned another table above and plan on checking it out tomorrow when I stop in at Best Buy.

I know last year the Ipad was $50 off on BF thru the Apple Store. BB also had a deal I think something back with purchase.

In most cases the only deal the stores can usually offer is an Itunes gift card or store card with purchase since they are not allowed to offer it for under the price they are under contract with Apple to sell it for.

In most cases the only deal the stores can usually offer is an Itunes gift card or store card with purchase since they are not allowed to offer it for under the price they are under contract with Apple to sell it for.

Yes thats what I remember last year I think it was a gift card back. I do know the Apple does offer a "sale price" pn BF because my DS friend got one for I think $50 off then. It was done online. I am in no rush just looking right now, still not sure if it will work for him. I dont want just another platform for him to play games. This is for schoolwork since his workload is only going to get heavier during the rest of the year and the next 2 years to finish HS. He already has a really good desktop that runs his CAD program for his engineering class, and ipod.

As an example yesterday he came home and had an essay due this morning. He had several things to do after school and we were running from one to the other. While he was in his down time (driving waiting his turn etc) he was writing the essay out by hand, then when he got home he had to type it up. If he had something portable it would have saved him some time and he would not have gone to bed last night at midnight to get up and be at school for 6am. I am checking out all suggestions Thanks everyone