Official Black Friday TABLET & E-READER Discussion Thread

Brad

How much cloud storage?

I looked it up. Unlimited for amazon content. Does that mean I can't store media from non-amazon sources on cloud? Also, cloud not so good since I understand you can't access it without wifi. Will pass on this for now, I think.

Edited by SuggaD

The regular kindle is now 99.99 if you get the one with special offers. I have a kindle and it is wonderful. I have over 800 books on it and have never had to buy a single one. I recommend the kindle with keyboard to anyone. I have no interest in the kindle touch.

800 books !! Shessh. I had my 3G Kindle ( 2nd generation) and is at close to 300 books right now... Oh My.... Now, if it was regular books, can you imagine how many bookcases you would need ? And, how many you had to donate to make space for new books ?

800 books !! Shessh. I had my 3G Kindle ( 2nd generation) and is at close to 300 books right now... Oh My.... Now, if it was regular books, can you imagine how many bookcases you would need ? And, how many you had to donate to make space for new books ?

That's why we got the kindle (previous generation) - to try to cut down on the actual books we buy. They are a pain to move when you move semi frequently

Sent from my iPhone using GottaDeal

I have a Kindle 1st Gen. with 2166 books. =} I got it for my anniversary two years ago, right before the second generation came out. I absolutely love it, but the battery is finally wearing out. I am going to get the Touch 3G for my anniversary this year, and I'm happy to say I've paid for less than 60 of my books. I subscribe to two daily newsletters that alert you to free books and deals and to booklending.com where you can share and borrow books on kindle. The Kindle is hands down the best gift I ever asked for and received and the best one I've ever given too =}

I have a Kindle 1st Gen. with 2166 books. =} I got it for my anniversary two years ago, right before the second generation came out. I absolutely love it, but the battery is finally wearing out. I am going to get the Touch 3G for my anniversary this year, and I'm happy to say I've paid for less than 60 of my books. I subscribe to two daily newsletters that alert you to free books and deals and to booklending.com where you can share and borrow books on kindle. The Kindle is hands down the best gift I ever asked for and received and the best one I've ever given too =}

I was very close to getting the 1st genration when it come out but waited to make sure there wasn't anything negative about it . I ,too , love my kindle.

I doubt if amazon will offer any thing since they just lowered all their prices drastically. Is best buy selling at the new prices, or the old ones? You can still upload all your own books and music and movies to the amazon cloud. They give you 5gb free. I have all my music on there and am just started putting my books onthere. Anything bought from amazon is stored free, but most of my books come from free internet downloads. I ordered the Fire for my teenage son who wanted an Ipad, It's a very affordable alternative to the 499 ipad. Also, a lot of people are confused and think the kindle fire is still an ereader, but it's not. They are getting really fired up over on kindle forums. Any one wanting one for xmas should preorder now. They are now up into December delivery after only 4 days.They are selling under cost. It costs 206 to manufacture them and amazon is selling them for 199 Edited by peppysfireball

Until you sit on it or drop it and they say too bad. If you break your amazon reader, they ship you a new one overnight and give you a month to send the old one back. Also the new kindle fire is cheaper than the Nook color. The nook color is not an eink reader, but a tablet like the fire.

QUOTE=Ladyberg;1865714]Not heard anything yet, but that's what I'm looking for as a gift for my mom! I have nook color and it is awesome!!!!

I just pre-ordered 2 Kindle Fires today. They will be for my 2 daughters ages 8 and 12. Do you think this will be good for them or should I have looked for something different. I do not know to much about any of the ereaders or tablets but they talk about them alot.

I think it's great. It's a wonderful compromise for the expensive ipad. My 14 year old is very excited to have this on his xmas list. We already have lots of movies for his psp that will work fine . He's really excited about the gaming apps. He asked for a ITOUCH last year and then changed his mind. No one beats amazon is customer service. YOu can sit on your kindle or have problems and if you call amzon they send you a new one next day and give you a month to return teh bad one. I encourage a 3 year square trade warranty with accident coverage though. I paid 20 for mine witha coupon code I found on ehre. YOu have 90n days after purchase to get one. If you ahve a problem after your 1 year amazon wararnty goes out, they just send you a check to buy a new one.

I just pre-ordered 2 Kindle Fires today. They will be for my 2 daughters ages 8 and 12. Do you think this will be good for them or should I have looked for something different. I do not know to much about any of the ereaders or tablets but they talk about them alot.

Can I ask what your estimated delivery date is? I am on kindle forums every day and preordered mine within 5 minutes of the link going live. There is a poll on there to see how far up in delivery it goes each day.

I think a lot of people are going to be disappointed when they figure out that the Fire is nothing like the iPad. Not that the Fire isn't going to be a great product, but it's going to be nowhere near doing what an iPad does.

I agree. People are looking at these as iPad replacements or a cheaper version of iPad and that is just not the case.

I agree. People are looking at these as iPad replacements or a cheaper version of iPad and that is just not the case.

I respectfully disagree...I think people who spent their money on an iPad might be disappointed when they see their friend's Fire does 90% of what the iPad does for several HUNDRED dollars less.

They both surf the web and do email.

They both play movies, music, games and read books.

The Kindle doesn't have a camera or microphone and thus can't do video chat.

But the Kindle reportedly has a much better interface with their customized version of Android.

The Kindle is easier to carry around and hold with one hand.

Oh, and did I mention IT COSTS A FRACTION OF WHAT AN IPAD DOES? :)

Believe me, I'm the first person to say the iPad is an awesome little tool.

But its WAY overpriced for what 95% of people use it for.

I absolutely see this as a valid (perhaps smarter) alternative to the iPad for the vast majority of consumers. Is it better than the iPad? No. Does it do everything the iPad does? No. If I already had an iPad, would I replace it with a Fire? No - well....maybe....if I could get someone to buy my iPad off me for more than the cost of a new Fire I might. But does it do everything that 95% of iPad users do on their iPads? Absolutely. So to me, for 95% of people considering buying an iPad out there, they could buy this instead and be perfectly happy. In fact they'd most likely be more than perfectly happy since they saved themselves HUNDREDS of dollars.

90% of the functionality for 40% (or less) of the cost? Smells like a deal to me.

Now, when Siri makes its way to the iPad....that might prove interesting...