Small Business Saturday - anyone participating?

rockpzazz

Last year (I'm not sure where it originated from, I assume American Express) was the first Small Business Saturday. It is a day that asks consumers to shop at small local retailers as a way to help them and to say thank you. November 26th, the day after Black Friday has been chosen as this year's date. Here is a story with more information. http://www.giftsanddec.com/blog/Savvy_Store_Solutions/42371-Shop_Small_Is_Big.php

I'm going to write about it in an upcoming blog on my site, but I was wondering if anyone participated in it last year, or if anyone will this year. I like the idea, and I think I did last year, and if I can, I will again this year.

• 1 month later...

Small Business Saturday, details here, http://smallbusinesssaturday.com/

Question is, who among us shall be participating in this event? I mean can American Express genuinely think that the average, cash strapped in this tight economy, American, can afford to forgo the savings that the big box stores offer in favor of paying the premiums that come with small businesses, even though shopping at small business is suppose to help everyone.

if I'm being honest, most of my shopping is done on Black Friday, and not the day after, and if I do shop the day after, I don't know how much of it actually is through small businesses.

There are lots of small specialty stores that offer unusual or custom items not always available at the big box store. While I might not necessarily shop at them on that paticular Saturday, I do like to look for some of my gifts there.

My daughter and I did this last year and are planning on doing this again. Many of the small businesses in our area near Detroit are now aware of it and full downtown small businesses are open and participating in that day. Love to help support the non-chain businesses. Found some great stuff last year.:gdthums: