Has anyone else noticed.......

Scanner420

That for the $$$$ we shell out for these toys each year........the quality of these toys has dramatically gone down? Seriously! Within the last 5-7 years, I've noticed that I've had to take back toys, but each year....the number is increasing. First it was about 4 out of 25, the next was 6 out of 28, next was 7 out of 39 and last year 1/5th of the presents I bought my kids had to be returned because of breakage, damage or missing pieces. Does the toy manufacturers drop their QC in order to increase their volume??

Just wondering if anyone else noticed or was it just me.

No broken toys around here.1 child broke a tinkerbell makeup case but that was her fault for trying to get in wrong way and manufacturer's for trying to make it too cute and frustrating her. The other return was made only recently on some recalled toddler keys from target, still waiting for replacement over a month later.

I've noticed that I've had to take back toys, but each year....the number is increasing. First it was about 4 out of 25, the next was 6 out of 28, next was 7 out of 39 and last year 1/5th of the presents

Ok, don't hate me, I am a Math teacher and just had to point something out. All your fractions are around the same percentages.

4/25 = 0.16 or 16%

6/28 =0.21 or 21%

7/39 =0.179 or 18%

1/5 =0.2 or 20%

To me, it looks kind of steady. Probability says that the more you buy the more that could break.

I haven't ever had to return a broken toy, but I am sure I will someday!

While I have not had to return any broken toys, I have noticed overall quality has gone down in the past 10 years. Certain toys my older kids had many years ago were made much better than those same toys bought in recent years for my younger kids. (we had gotten rid of a lot of toys thinking we were done having kids, and ended up re-buying a lot of them when we decided to expand our family!) I try to be very careful about what I buy because I refuse to have piles of unappreicated or broken toys in my house.

My son LOVES Transformers toys but it seems like every time he gets one they break right away. He's not rough on them--it seems to me that if toys are meant to be played with, they'd make them so they lasted longer than 1 or 2 times being played with before they break.

yes. DD wants the barbie dream house and I worry she'll get it, use it, and it'll break a few days later. That's what happened a few years ago with this disney baby nursery set. Just days after xmas it completely fell apart. I was so irked. Same thing happened with the polly pocket cruise.

If it's the 3 story one, my bff's daughter has it since last christmas and it's fine so far. I think the elevator tends to come off track but nothing is broken yet. She has a soon to be 2yo brother who we have to hide small pieces from but he's rough with it and it's still fine. It comes with miniature pieces like cutlery for table that we've had to teach her to put into a shoe box and place on table or in closet to keep away from her brother and the dogs.

That house was a mission, paternal grandma bought at Toysrus then found cheaper in Target ad so returned to Toysrus before buying at Target then nobody could find until I pointed bff to Amazon where she said it was cheaper too:) It was the top thing on her Xmas list so a must have.

yes. DD wants the barbie dream house and I worry she'll get it, use it, and it'll break a few days later. That's what happened a few years ago with this disney baby nursery set. Just days after xmas it completely fell apart. I was so irked. Same thing happened with the polly pocket cruise.

Totally agree forget the Barbie house n get another brand. Will last u alot longer n it might even b cheaper.

Last year we gave our daughter a doll house from Costco, I believe it was KidKraft brand. (it was a 3 story house with lights and sounds for $85) It has held up very well. My godzilla sized 2 year old has even climbed inside and curled up on the "second floor" of the house and it didn't break! I've been very pleased with the quality, and it came with plenty of furniture and details to make it super fun right out of the box. It did take a while to assemble though, so if you do buy a KidKraft doll house, make sure you put it together the night before! I found a giant gift bag at the dollar store that fit over the house perfectly, and my daughter's face when my husband pulled off the bag to reveal the doll house was absolutely priceless!

DD has the imaginarium doll house from TRU and it has also held up. She has it for 2 years and it looks brand new still after lots of play time. She has the Polly Pocket cruise ship too and we have not had any problems with it. I was afraid the Barbie house would not hold up. However, she does have the Barbie camper and it has lasted.

• 2 weeks later...
I also think toys are not made as well as they used to be but I think it mostly depends on what you are buying. Toys with lights, sounds and special functions seem to break more easily. For example, my dd3 jumped up and down everytime she saw the Magic Rise Oven on tv last year. We bought it for her with some extra accersories and nothing worked on it. It was a complete dud so it went back to TRU a few days after Christmas. I'm going to read reviews on most everything we buy this year to see if there are problems.