Going Shopping Black Friday With Kids in Toe

bfaddict1977

How do you manage to do it and get things done? I don't unfortunately have help or really have the option of hiring a sitter so early so I have 5 kiddoes and was thinking this yr I'd venture out early. Last yr and yr before I was pg both times and thankfully I won't be this yr:) Now I don't want to start an argument. I'm just wondering how those with kids do it? I did it 2 yrs ago but it was very disorganized and chaotic and i want to get to walmart and take advantage or the stuff early like pjs and all. Looking for input. Thanks!

I honestly would just try to do it from online, or find a sitter off of craigslist you could trust... It's VERY caotic just when it's an adult you mix a 5 kids into it and oh man... I took my son one year and we weren't even to the store until 5 in the morning "it was my first year really BF shopping" and it was hard enough trying to not have him see the presents lol... I said never again..

My 8 year old really wants to go (She heard me and older siblings talking about it last year) I would not mind taking her, she is great company but she is only 8 and I am usually out all night. I don't think she could handle the lack of sleep and it would cause problems for both of us. I might get her older sibling to bring her out to me later but we will see. If you have to take them I hope that it works out for you. I would make sure to have snacks and items to keep the occupied. A blanket to cover up items in the cart, and I would make sure the oldest was willing to be a great helper because it will be hard to shop and watch the cart with the babies too.

Amazon usually has very competitive prices. You may want to stay inside and shop online :0)

Amazon was amazing last year, they practically price matched lots of stores but you had to be there at the right time to get the deals. They won't price match an ad or anything but are pretty good at keeping their prices competitive especially over Thanksgiving/BF last year.

I don't even like bringing my kids grocery shopping with me. My daughter is 10 now and asked to go with this year but I'm too worried that she'd get hurt, people push and shove adults and bump you with carts... Plus you have to worry about if they get hungry and going to the bathroom, getting lost / separated from you...

Fewer kids would be easier. You may not have a babysitter for everyone, but would anyone be able to stay the night with a friend or relative?

It's hard to plan anything for Walmart. If I remember right, last year some stuff was supposed to start at midnight and other sales started at a different time (5-6 am?). Of course, nothing is consistant at Walmart stores so some stores kept things covered or in the stock room until the appointed time, others put stuff out early, and I read some reports of stores forgetting to put out pallets of sale items for hours or days! (Maybe they just got a late shipment?)

Last year I got to Walmart later in my trip - I think it was around 6am. I was hoping to find some movies and video games but I heard from other customers that the movies were all gone BEFORE midnight and the video games all came out right at 12am and there was an insane rush. People were grabbing at random and running to get out of the way, and a couple fistfights broke out. I wasn't looking for kids PJs, but I did find some girls jeans left over at 6am. An hour or so later I made it to another WM where I was able to choose from a few leftover movies and video games. It was picked over, but I managed to snag a few descent titles.

As for advise: Make sure everyone got some sleep and bring snacks. Bring your own double stroller if you have one (or can borrow one) because there is no guarentee you will be able to get a cart. You can use the stroller basket as a shopping basket. If it's not too crowded, one of your bigger kids could push another cart or stoller so you have more space to contain your little ones and hold your loot. I'd try to show up around 11pm to see if anything got put out early. Honestly, if I had my kids with and couldn't get the stuff I wanted in my cart before the craziness started I'd probably leave; at least stand off to the side as the clock strikes midnight (or whatever time the sale starts).

Maybe your 8-year-old can help you? If things are crowded, but calm, s/he could grab the things you want and bring them to you while you stand off to the side with the little ones. Or maybe s/he could keep everyone in the cart or stroller while you grab the items you're after? Maybe other shoppers will give you a hand, too. I would! Right when the sales start everyone is focused on getting their goods and getting out, but for the most part the people I've talked to in line on BF are friendly and happy. If you are waiting for the pallets to be unveiled, try to strike up a conversation with another shopper. They may be willing to help you get what you are looking for. Or maybe not, but it's worth a try.

If you are trying to keep things a secret, good luck to you! You could try to bring reusable shopping bags to put the stuff in then cover it with a blanket in the cart, but be prepared to be stopped and questioned by security. (I wouldn't recommend trying to conceal things in a stroller, but I have taken DD's blankie into Kmart and Walmart to cover things in my cart when my kiddos are with. Nobody ever said anything about it. If you don't want to use a blankie, you could use your coat or grab a men's robe and 'change your mind' at the checkout.) Checkout gets interesting. I have had my kids use the bathroom while I check out, but BF is too crowded for that. My kids are willing to sit at the end of the checkout lane with their backs to me, would your kids do that?

Of course, online shopping while the kids are in bed is much less complicated. If your in a tough spot and really need new clothes for the kids, check out the Target clearance forum. I've had great luck getting my kids' clothes from Target, often for less than BF prices. I already have my kids' Christmas gifts from clearance, too. Whatever you choose to do, good luck to you!

I have never brought my kids out before but if you absolutely have to I would suggest going to a store like kmart instead of walmart. Or, going to the outlet mall. I do the midnight madness each year at the outlet malls n here is the trick, if you only need kids clothes go at about 3am, at that point every1 has left for the other stores like walmart and target and then you pretty much have the outlets to yourself and there are still a TON of the same deals as they dont change till (6-10 am)..I usually head to kmart after the outlets a half hour before opening n there has NEVER been any chaos or pushing or shoving..Every1 is actually usually REALLY helpful and its always organized. With 5 kids so young with you , I think going out a tiny bit later and to a less crazy store is your best bet for safety and price. I have always heard horror stories about walmart over 3 dollar pjs and I always end up finding 4-5 dollar great pjs ( like gymboree, osh kosh, childrens place) so I think the outlets are a much better buy. I hope this helps =)

I have taken my twin boys when they were younger. They are now 13 and I am planning on letting them go and help me this year. I took them when they were 5 one year and it was very hard. My daughter will be 5 by BF and I am planning on leaving her with someone. If I take her I will never get anything..lol. She notices way too much. If there is a way that you could at least find someone to keep at least the two youngest ones that would help tremendously. If not, I agree with the other posts. I would do as much shopping online as possible and then head out a little later in the day.

We live in a small town so there is no danger where we are, but I do realize how dangerous it can be in other areas. So, I would try to avoid the morning rush if possible.

If you have to take all of them then I would take a bag with snacks, drinks, crayons, paper, books, and maybe a few of their favorite toys. I know how hungry and thirsty I get while waiting.

Good luck!

Maybe your 8-year-old can help you? If things are crowded, but calm, s/he could grab the things you want and bring them to you while you stand off to the side with the little ones. Or maybe s/he could keep everyone in the cart or stroller while you grab the items you're after? Maybe other shoppers will give you a hand, too. I would! Right when the sales start everyone is focused on getting their goods and getting out, but for the most part the people I've talked to in line on BF are friendly and happy. If you are waiting for the pallets to be unveiled, try to strike up a conversation with another shopper. They may be willing to help you get what you are looking for. Or maybe not, but it's worth a try.

This would be a very dangerous thing to do, right when pallets are opened everyone rushes in and may not see a small child or realize that she has been pushed and shoved and I think it would be very scary for an 8 year old. People in lines are nice and friendly, but when doors open or pallets are unwrapped it's everyone for themselves and everyone rushes in to get what they want. I have been towards the front of many lines over the years and you always get shoved when the doors open no matter how they try to control the lines. I took my 10 yr old daughter to $1 flip flops at Old Navy a couple years ago (she was 8 then) and learned my lesson the hard way, she got smooshed and shoved and still remembers it to this day, no one was careful around her and didn't care that they were shoving a little girl.

Use the next 2+ months to figure out babysitting (family or having the kids sleep over at friends houses) for the kids. Ask friends, maybe someone will watch your kids if you do some of their BF shopping for them while you are out. Maybe you can babysit for someone else now and you can trade with them so they watch your kids on BF. Is there an older relative (cousin) that can sleep over and watch the kids while you go out?

Doesn't seem OP is getting many helpful suggestions. Maybe a different way around the question would be finding out what stores are like in your area on BF and what your must haves are so OP can try and avoid the more chaotic places? I actually left the house last year just after 6am since I overslept (due to being up most of the Turkey Day and night waiting for sales and watching Amazon) and managed to get almost everything on my list(nothing must have missed). My list included disney slippers and blanket sleepers from JCPenney and pj's from both Walmart and Target. I think the Target ones were cuter/better material but the ones at Walmart had matching slippers. To be fair I live in Miami so there probably wasn't a huge demand for the blanket sleepers and they're probably a hotter item in colder climates.

I apologize in advance if I ruffle any feathers as it is NOT my intention it just seems like OP is getting the info they already knew i.e. "It's not going to be a walk in the park with kids on BF".

Let me try to offer something more helpful... have a big bag that can store everything you need (wallet, ads, lists, snacks/drinks, diapers/wipes, small toys/crayons n paper, etc. so you're not toting around three or four different bags. Do go out a little later than the initial rush and start with smaller stores. If someone can go with you it would help in case any of the kids get tired/cranky. Ask store managers, if you can, how previous BFs have been and what suggestions they might have if you want to visit their store. And perhaps most importantly... frequent bathroom stops (use store ones and avoid ones in the mall if you can - the lines can be horrendous). It might not be original but I hope it's of some help. :)

thank you. That's actually a great suggestion:) I went last 2 yrs ago with my oldest 3 and was pg with my now 20 mo old. It was chaotic but doable. They stayed right with me and we got what we came for, and mainly that was the cheap clothing and pjs. But adding 2 more now I'm wondering. I will have the babies in a wagon and my older 3 will stay right by my side. We usually head for walmart first.

Taking an 11 month old and a 23 month old on Black Friday will definately earn you a lot of evil glares from other shoppers. If there truly is no other option, one of the best things i could recommend is make sure you get a carriage and put the youngest ones in there to prevent them from getting trampled. Keep the others VERY close to the carriage and tell them not to let go. Taking 5 kids is definately dangerous, but you asked for the best way and not critisizm, so that's the best I can suggest if you MUST go out BF.

• 2 weeks later...
My daughter went to $1 flip flops at Old Navy about 2 years ago, she's almost 11 now, and got smooshed & shoved... A chain of grocery stores was closing last week and I went there and I took her and my 12 yr old son with. It was definitely packed and chaotic and long lines to pay... kind of like black friday. While we were waiting in the line to pay my son said "if this is what black friday is like I never want to go with you" and then my daughter said that she remembers Old Navy and people grabbing shoes and if they were not their size they were just throwing them over their shoulders. She was like 8 then and she remembers that, I had forgotten about that until she mentioned it. She will be prepared by the time I start taking her with me on bf!

How do you manage to do it and get things done? I don't unfortunately have help or really have the option of hiring a sitter so early so I have 5 kiddoes and was thinking this yr I'd venture out early. Last yr and yr before I was pg both times and thankfully I won't be this yr:) Now I don't want to start an argument. I'm just wondering how those with kids do it? I did it 2 yrs ago but it was very disorganized and chaotic and i want to get to walmart and take advantage or the stuff early like pjs and all. Looking for input. Thanks!

I was at a Walmart in Orange Park, Florida. Remember when the razor scooters were the rage? I was next to the pallet and two small children were next to me. The crowd nearly crushed them and my self trying to grab the scooters. I yelled for the people to stop crushing the children and that I would pass the scooters back, since i was trapped anyway. Luckily, It was not in an inner city area and the situation worked out with calmer crowds, once they knew they would get one. From my experience, Walmart is still an extremely dangerous place to bring small children. From the incidents that still happen there, it is irresponsible to even contemplate it, seeing the herd mentality going on there. This is about the nicest i care to be on the subject, and if not sugar coating the obvious is not enough, then perhaps by someone getting a tad bit offended i will have made them think twice about it.

thanks. thinking I'm hiring a sitter. I'm not taking the chance, I think it gets worse every year:(

Sounds like a good idea, I wish you luck either way. Maybe once you've decided where you're going you can offer to pick them up a few things for a discounted rate?

My bff and I were lucky to go shopping Wednesday morning without her almost 2DS while 4DD was in school and got so much done.

thanks. thinking I'm hiring a sitter. I'm not taking the chance, I think it gets worse every year:(

I am so glad you wrote that!

I went with my sister-in-law last year and she brought her kids. The kids were well behaved, but I was nervous in the large crowds. We tried to have the kids push one cart and we wove in and out to get the deals, but with Walmart's ropes up, it was impossible. I have never seen anyone try to push a stroller or wagon in those crowds...I think it would be a dangerous experiment that would most likely end up in a disaster.

I skipped several BFs when my kids were small, and we didn't have internet either, so I understand the angst about going, but your children are your most precious commodities and it's best to keep them safe (I know this isn't the most popular idea, but I know I'm not alone).