Son wants trumpet...

bookbuffy

:gd_twocen :) Former band bum here, trumpet player among others. If you're going to invest, I'd start with a good used horn from a reputable instrument store, or a pawn shop. SOMETIMES you can find good deals on ebay. I've been pondering starting my son on a horn for the past 2 years and he's in first grade. In my opinion it is never too early to foster a child's love of music. There are some 'toy' horns out there but honestly I'd go for a real one.

You'll need to work with him more than an older child as far as teaching him how to propertly handle and care for his horn, make sure you get a hard shell case with it, valve/slide oil, etc.

Try woodwindbrasswind.com for starters. Hope you find what you need :D

I bought a trumpet from musiciansfriend.com and got it at a great price! Sign up for their emails and keep checking back on prices. The trumpet i got her was 149.99 on sale! it is reg price 279.99 with a list price of 575!! good luck finding one!

I totally understand where you are on this. My five year old has been asking for a trombone for at least two years now, maybe three. I haven't purchased one yet because I am jsut not sure if it will be worth it. I would prefer that he gets a trumpet than a trombone and I don't think he would mind - just wants to play a horn! Let me know if you find any great deals and I will do the same! Good luck!

I would check out pawn shops or instrument stores. At 5 years old, you really don't want to get an expensive item. Also, check with your local school. Often, there will be instruments that have been donated to them that they will part with for $25-50 or so. The program could use the money for buying music, etc., since most people buy or rent their own horn.

Hope that helps!

June

I totally understand where you are on this. My five year old has been asking for a trombone for at least two years now, maybe three. I haven't purchased one yet because I am jsut not sure if it will be worth it. I would prefer that he gets a trumpet than a trombone and I don't think he would mind - just wants to play a horn! Let me know if you find any great deals and I will do the same! Good luck!

Wow, a trombone for a 5 year old!! It would be almost twice as tall as he is--That would be so cute to watch!!

The Japanese have bands for preschool children. They march and really are terrific--I think 5 is a good age for starting. They have DVD's of their 3 and 4year olds marching, and doing extremely complicated routines;

Thanks for allt he good tips! I still haven't figured out if he really knows the difference between the trombone and trumpet but he probably does since (of course) he is very smart! ;) Proud Mommy speaking here of course. I thought it would be pretty funny to watch him with a trombone also but I really like the saxaphone actually - is he too young for that? that would be my choice if I could choose for him!

I've never played an instrument but my hubby plays lots of instruments. I asked him and he said you should be really careful about buying him a real trumpet. He said they are made of very soft metal and they will ding easily. And he said that once they get dings in them they don't play right. He said it was very easy to ruin them. So, if you do plan on getting him a real one you should only let him play it with supervision so he doesn't ruin it. He also said that you have to keep the valves oiled and keep them maintnenced or they will ruin. But if you are gonna get him a real one he said you're best bet is getting a used one from a music store, Wal Mart, or he said to try Sears cataloges. He said he thought they carried them for a decent price.

Thanks for allt he good tips! I still haven't figured out if he really knows the difference between the trombone and trumpet but he probably does since (of course) he is very smart! ;) Proud Mommy speaking here of course. I thought it would be pretty funny to watch him with a trombone also but I really like the saxaphone actually - is he too young for that? that would be my choice if I could choose for him!

I'd say he's to young for that. Playing a reed instrument requires fairly strong embouchere(sp?) muscles and I doubt at 5, he is ready for that. I could be wrong on that though, just my opinion.

Do not buy walmart sams or ebay. My sons both play trumpet go to a local music store and buy a used one.

I agree, if something happens to it most music stores can't fix them, has something to do with the way they are made. When I rented my daughters baritone there was a woman in the music store flipping out when they were explaining this to her.

Either try pawn shops or eBay. My daughter started band and we needed a flute and I bought one with hard case, soft case brand new for about $70 with shipping! So she has her own and it was under $100. By the way, the rental program was $25 per month and she needs it at least 8 months. For a 5 year old, I would just keep checking pawn shops.

Please do not buy any instrument from Sam's, Walmart, Sears, Costco, Target

etc.

The instruments they carry might look just like their more expensive cousins at

a real music store, but they are not any anywhere close. These instruments

are usually made in China or India, and are not manufactured with good quality

control. The materials used are also third rate. Once these instruments break

or get damaged, they often cannot be fixed due to the inferior materials used

to make it. Worst of all, they play terrible!

Regardless of where the instrument is made or what brand it is, they all need

some maintainance. Trumpets and Trombones usually just require an occasional

cleaning and periodic lubrication. Nothing major.

For a young child, I highly recommend you check with your local music store

about a rental plan. Most plans work like this:

1. Payments go toward purchase of the instrument (many offer an extra

discount toward purchase after so many months)

2. If your child switches instruments, the money you paid toward the first

instrument is credited to the new instrument.

3. Most repairs (those that are needed if the playing condition is impaired)

are covered at no extra charge.

4. If the instrument is lost or stolen, usually replaced at no extra charge.

Again your mileage may vary. If you absolutley must purchase, buy a used

instrument. It might not look pretty, but many still play like they're brand

new. Be sure to ask your local pawn shop about their return policy. Many of

the good brands (Selmer, Bach, King, Conn, Holton) are usually made in

Indiana or New York, just look on the bell of the instrument (Yamaha is made

in Japan, but usually still good).

I apologize for the long post, but I hope this helps!

C Snyder