Do you think there will be similar deals on laptops?

alimfp

With normal budget laptop deals currently hovering $400-500. I'm curious to see what BB will bring out. Don't really need a new one but might be tempted if its under $300. I'm predicting that BB will have a $150 desktop or maybe $200 with a LCD monitor.:)

Yeah, I need to pick a cheap one fast. I don't think the HD on my 5 year-old laptop is going to live to see Christmas.

Also I noticed that the Dell one doesn't include a wireless lan, you can get it for $40. So it's almost $90 more AR.

Thanks all. Even with rebates, I'd still jump at it I think. I wanna get DH a new laptop for school but with how graphic intensive his work is.. I think that gift will have to wait. Instead, this laptop may be for me. :P

Please please don't buy him a cheapie $399 - $499 laptop because it just won't cut the mustard.

Make sure it has at least an Intel Pentium-M or AMD Turion CPU and has a dedicated video graphics card. All of these cheap laptops have integrated video graphics. I know you want the best deal (don't we all) but a cheap laptop is a cheap laptop.

Oh noooo, believe me - that's why I wouldn't go this route for what he does/needs. I've priced laptops he needs and they'll be $2k easily.

We both build computers and repair them for friends/family. I just want another laptop to toy with. :D

Or maybe, just maybe, I'll win an Alienware by BF time (in my dreams). Heh.

I only use my laptop now for regular online stuff - emails, sweepstakes, forums.. nothing intensive at all really. I occasionally load up Photoshop but not often.

I have a question....and I have never posted before. I am interested in the laptop from WalMart for my husband, but don't know that much about computers, he is a drafter and would install AutoCad on the machine, does this have enough memorsy or whatever he would need for that???

Thanks!

I have a question....and I have never posted before. I am interested in the laptop from WalMart for my husband, but don't know that much about computers, he is a drafter and would install AutoCad on the machine, does this have enough memorsy or whatever he would need for that???

Thanks!

Not likely. I don't know what version of A-CAD he would be using, or what the exact specs are. However, it will probably need a higher end system to run well. This may be the cheapest laptop, but it is also one of the slowest. It is not going to have the processor or video to run the more intense software like CAD. If you can find out what he is running it on now (processor speed, memory, video card &memory) or look up the requirements on the software box, you could tell for sure.

The laptop walmart is advertising in their ad is a piece of shit. HP had the parts in it manafactured in China so they could sell it cheap. You get what you pay for. A buddy of mine has the same model and it crapped out on him a month later. We found out that the motherboard in it was fried due to bad capacitors.

Since it was that new did WalMart make good on it, V3r71g0? Or did your friend have to eat it himself?

I've been thinking about getting one since $300-400 is about right for the budget. But on limited income I can't afford to throw money away if it's just going to go belly up a month later!

v3r71g0 The laptop walmart is advertising in their ad is a piece of shit. HP had the parts in it manafactured in China so they could sell it cheap. You get what you pay for. A buddy of mine has the same model and it crapped out on him a month later. We found out that the motherboard in it was fried due to bad capacitors.