BF-Worthy Deal: Dell Laptop $399 available RIGHT NOW!!!

RossMAN

http://img.dell.com/images/global/configurator/chassis/inspn_1200_cfg.jpg

Dell Inspiron 1200 Laptop w/ 1.4GHz, 40GB, Combo Drive for $399 after rebate!

http://forums.gottadeal.com/showthread.php?t=17036

The alternative? Black Friday morning wait in line for 6 hours and buy a laptop for $899 - $500 mail-in rebates = $399 (this is only an example).

Then you wait 3 months to receive your $500 in rebate checks.

Darn...I was going to buy this for my daughter for Christmas as I was just looking at the one at Walmart for $398, but after Dell adds on the $49 shipping and $30 tax, its not worth it for me. I would rather wait in line on BF as I will be out anyway to save the extra $50. I can use the extra $50 to get her the wireless network card or wireless mouse to go with it. *sigh*

FYI - I just read a local story about the Dell Inspiron 5150 having a known mother board problem. At around 14 months of use, the unit overheats causing the motherboard to warp and shut down power permanently. Of course, this happens after the 12 month warranty has expired. I don't know if this has been fixed or if Dell is liquidating this product line because of this problem. Do an internet search on this topic to learn more. I'm not a computer or notebook expert, but just thought everyone should be aware that this 'deal' may not be the best solution for your family.

http://www.recordonline.com/archive/2005/10/23/consumer.htm

FYI - I just read a local story about the Dell Inspiron 5150 having a known mother board problem. At around 14 months of use, the unit overheats causing the motherboard to warp and shut down power permanently. Of course, this happens after the 12 month warranty has expired. I don't know if this has been fixed or if Dell is liquidating this product line because of this problem. Do an internet search on this topic to learn more. I'm not a computer or notebook expert, but just thought everyone should be aware that this 'deal' may not be the best solution for your family.

http://www.recordonline.com/archive/2005/10/23/consumer.htm

First of all welcome to the forums, I'm glad you joined and posted in this thread :)

I would like to point out this is a different model (1200 vs 5150) and the 5150 was discontinued earlier this year.

I would like to point out this is a different model (1200 vs 5150) and the 5150 was discontinued earlier this year.

5150? Is that the Van Halen model?:D

Anyways, not trying to be a party pooper here, but the laptop doesn't have wireless LAN (it's extra).

Any questions regarding this laptop or it's specs?

YES! I am not very unknowledgeable about computer specs so I need them in laymans terms please! I need a laptop for work and for college. I do not plan to be doing a lot on it, but I would like it to have dvd/cd capabilities - both to play them and record them if possible. I am not sure I will need it to be internet capable, but would liek the option I suppose. Let me know what my best options are in your opinion. Thanks so much for the help!!

YES! I am not very unknowledgeable about computer specs so I need them in laymans terms please! I need a laptop for work and for college. I do not plan to be doing a lot on it, but I would like it to have dvd/cd capabilities - both to play them and record them if possible. I am not sure I will need it to be internet capable, but would liek the option I suppose. Let me know what my best options are in your opinion. Thanks so much for the help!!

This laptop can do everything you listed except for burn DVD's.

It also offers an Integrated Network Card which can hookup to any high speed internet connection using an ethernet cable.

1st Post… It’s my opinion that they both are good deals in there own rights. As far as functionality, the productivity and $$ are in your software. A realization Bill Gates became aware of while writing the code for IBM® and their operating system respectively known as (IBM DOS). IBM saw the $$ in the hardware, hence the name “INTERNATIONAL BUSSINESS MACHINES” or something like that and Gates in the Software, “Microsoft”. In the infancy stage of the computer development era many manufactures built what is known as “proprietary” computer systems cause they thought they would make the $$ by selling add-on or replacement parts along with the relative customer service work. I believe HP’s fame and fortune was derived by the printer business, sell’em at an attractive price and get rich by selling the “proprietary” ink…

We’ll HP bought Compaq not to long ago, or maybe they merged?? But the real issue is “proprietary”. The old adage you get what you pay for holds true for the most part. I’ve built the two systems I use with aftermarket components for upgrade ability purposes. Mr. Dell whom built custom computers in his dorm room noticed the “cookie cutter” offerings of the big guys and decided to give people options, we all like options…

Mr. Dell now sits with the Forbes 100 richest, just under Mr. Gates and Allen whom were cofounders of Microsoft (originally called Micro Soft), oh yea Warren Buffet the investment mogul is rubbing elbows to…

It’s a craps shoot, but if I were to get one or the other I’d get the Dell. If for some reason the Dell was out of stock and I wanted a system real bad, I would have no problem getting the HP to satisfy my lack of patience… It all boils down to what do ya need it for……. Heck, there are a lot of software programs out that cost more then these laptops. I could go on but, may everyone have a safe and happy buying experience. PS. And please, no pushing ;-) :gd_twocen

Great deal on a new laptop with combo DVD/CD-RW!!!

Rossman, why is the dell better than the walmart deal? I went to the link, and the dell has the rebates (so I have to wait on my money), is a 14" screen vs the walmart 15", does not include wireless (walmart's does), and does not include a 1 yr warranty (walmart's does).

Are you a dell groupie or something? I am not seeing what you are -- :stir:

My opinion is they are pretty much the same. (Its a laptop!!) 14", 15" to me no big deal they are both small. If waiting for the rebate is a issue, you gotta ask yourself if you have the money to make the purchase in the first place? I really don'nt care for any of the big manf., I build my own. And yes its a tough call. I just believe that Dell's materials are ever so slightly better then the HP. I would call these no frills, bottom shelf systems. The bottom line is what kind of computing ya wanna do and ya get what ya pay for.... I would just feel better getting the Dell and its that gut feeling that makes the Dell my choice.

I just saw this notice today and read this thread. Do I understand correctly that you will not actually pay $398 for the HP notebook, but will pay more and then get a check (sometime) later? Where can I find more information about that?

These threads are very interesting. I'm looking for a desktop for my kids and a GREAT laptop for myself for school and doing stuff for my business and church. Right now WalMart is selling a Compaq Presario PC bundle in store for $395 - monitor, speakers and all. My computer guru tells me that would be cool for my kids to access the internet for school and anwer email. I think I'm going with Dell for my laptop. Quality is quality! Plus I get a discount through my company!!!

Toshiba offering same configuration laptop for 599$. But wait here are the freebies.

1. Laptop leather bag

2. Router

3. Epson All-in-one printer

hope this would make you smile.

Toshiba Satellite A80-S178TD - Laptop

# Intel Celeron® M Processor 370 [1.50GHz, 1MB L2, 400MHz FSB]

# Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition

# 256MB PC2700 DDR333 SDRAM (256MBx1)

# 15.0" Diagonal XGA Display (1024 x 768)

# ATI MOBILITY™ RADEON® 9000 IGP with 64MB DDR shared graphics memory, user adjustable to 128MB

# 40GB HDD (5400rpm)

# CD-RW/DVD-ROM Multifunction drive

# Atheros® wireless-LAN (802.11b/g)

# 1 Year Standard Limited Warranty

-Praveen