Sam's Club Open House - Jan 12 to 25 - No Upcharge for Non-Members

noehlp

Sam's Club Open House

January 12 to 25, 2011

* All locations - per their Facebook Page

* No upcharge fee's for non-members

* Non-members need to stop at Member Services for their Temporary Card prior to checkout

------------------------------------------------

So, those Sam Club Members - any of you want to share with us non-members what type of deals you get there? Do they take coupons? What's your best deal ever there?

I went to check this out today, thanks OP. Almost identical to Costco, maybe with a little Walmart and Smart 'n Final thrown in. I had to line up at Customer Service and give them my ID to get a free temporary card. They tried to get me to buy the $100 premium membership and said I would get a free $25 gift card (no thanks). Like Costco, they don't take manufacturers coupons but they do issue their own coupons from time to time for members. And also like Costco, they take cash, debit, and their own credit card (maybe a Discover branded card? not sure). I ended up not buying anything because I already belong to Costco and they had pretty much exactly the same stuff. It also rubbed me the wrong way a bit - dirtier than Costco, less friendly staff, and *gasp* no samples! Edited to say, also a little bit more expensive than Costco, at least here in N. Texas.

FYI BJ's wholesale club does take manufacturers coupons plus they have many at the door plus they mail you booklets frequently.

The bakery is amazing as is their food selections in produce as well as meat/deli

I love Costco but don't care for Sam's. I just wish that Costco took coupons like BJ's. Wish that we had a BJ's to take advantage of the bakery that you described.

I went to check this out today, thanks OP. Almost identical to Costco, maybe with a little Walmart and Smart 'n Final thrown in. I had to line up at Customer Service and give them my ID to get a free temporary card. They tried to get me to buy the $100 premium membership and said I would get a free $25 gift card (no thanks). Like Costco, they don't take manufacturers coupons but they do issue their own coupons from time to time for members. And also like Costco, they take cash, debit, and their own credit card (maybe a Discover branded card? not sure). I ended up not buying anything because I already belong to Costco and they had pretty much exactly the same stuff. It also rubbed me the wrong way a bit - dirtier than Costco, less friendly staff, and *gasp* no samples! Edited to say, also a little bit more expensive than Costco, at least here in N. Texas.

Ymmv but the 2 I go to have samples and are pretty much spotless.

Ymmv but the 2 I go to have samples and are pretty much spotless.

We're considering a Costco membership though it won't replace Sams. Recently had a trial membership @ BJ's and everything that we regularly by @ Sams cost more @ BJ's; I would need a coupon on everything to equal out the cost. No point in that to me....

Our Sam's Club is really nice and has tons of samples on the weekends, don't know about during the week. I use my aunt's membership so we don't have to pay our own. I know they used to let you put 3 people on a membership, not sure if they still do. We split the fee with my aunt so it's cheaper. They mail coupon books out and ours usually has some by the door so you can grab an extra one. It usually has better coupons than the normal manuf. ones we get in the paper.

I don't Costco ever has open houses/free days. I know you can ask to look around, but you can't purchase anything without a membership card (except the pharmacy, which is open to anyone). You can also pay the annual membership fee ($50) and they will refund it anytime if you aren't satisfied. Or you can split a membership with someone else since you get two cards per household.

The $100 membership that they are trying to sell is really just a $100 Sam's gift card that you can use to buy that (or anything else) and then you get $25 free, too :) I like my Sam's. It's clean and orderly and lots of samples on weekends. I don't have a Costco close enough to really compare though.

Well, yesterday I did go to Sams' Club with a friend. And I have to say I wasn't too impressed! They did have a few Holiday/Christmas items (mostly food/candy items) that were nicely priced. Also, in various locations and not widely marked so you would notice, they do have some clearance with pretty decent prices. It was almost a chore and a neck ache trying to find the clearance items. Some items especially, like clothes, were marked with what I assume clearance prices, like Ralph Lauren shirts for I think $12 or $14, but weren't marked as clearance or sale.

Don't get me wrong, for those that have large families, lots of parties/functions - I can see the need/want/desire to shop there. But for those who like to save money on nearly everything (like myself) this wasn't really the store for it.

hth those trying to decide if they want to make the venture.

We went yesterday, too. It was INSANELY busy, you couldn't even maneuver around the store. We used to pick up a few things in there that were cheaper than elsewhere, and I was out of some spices and yeast, so I thought we'd check it out.

Some of you know that I make my living studying marketing and grocery prices, and I was appalled at how much people were paying for some of this stuff over regular or sale prices at the grocery store.

There were 8 lb. bags of oranges on sale for $7.98. Almost EVERY cart had one in it. At the grocery store across the street, they are 8 for $1. At Walmart, the same bag is $3.99.

Quaker Oatmeal was 40 packages for $8.98- but it's $1.99 at the grocery store for a 10 pack.

Black Olives were $6.38 a 6-pack, but at Walgreens, they run the same brand for 99¢ a can at least once a month

Frito Lay chips were $6.98 for 2 bags- they are $2.99 at the store, regular price.

Pepsi Products were $6.98 a 24 pack- regular price on a 12 at Walmart is $2.98 (locally)

Mission Tortillas (they don't carry big packages any longer) were 2 packs for $3.98. They are $1.79 at Walmart.

Colgate Toothpaste was $10.48 for 5 tubes in a bonus, buy 4, get one free, package- it's $1 a tube at the grocery store across the street.

Sargento Sliced Cheese (1.5 lb) was $9.98. It's $2.24 for a 9 oz package at Walmart- $1.74 if you can catch it on sale at the grocery store, less with coupons.

Those are just a few examples- but I found very few things that I could not get cheaper every day at the store, or a heck of a lot cheaper with sales and coupons!

What I do buy there:

Fleischman's Yeast (2 lb) $4.98

Chili Seasoning $6.XX

Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing Mix $7.XX

Land O' Lakes Cheese (cause it's the best stuff ever!) (2 lb) $5.74

Super Pretzels (again, the best stuff ever): $7.XX

Pork Loins- they are usually cheaper and better quality than any of the local stores

Grands Frozen Biscuits (32 ct) $5.XX- a 20 count at Walmart is $4.XX- these can be bought cheaper with a sale and a coupon, but we needed them

Honey Buns were $3.28 a 12 ct. box. They are around 80¢ each elsewhere- even at the day old bread store.