How Do You Pay for Items On BF?

elena_398

Just wondering on BF, do you charge all your items, use cash only, or combine the both. I usually try never to use my charge card for purchases. I use cash and/or debit card from my checking account. I find I will pay more for an item if all I have to do is pull out plastic! My one friend charges all the time and especially on BF. Needless to say she had to get a consolidated loan to pay off her cards! This year, my husband wants me to charge everything so I won't have tons of cash on me and then we will pay it off in January once the bill comes in. Now how many times does something happen and you can't do this! I've heard of christmas charge card bills being in the hundreds to thousands! I have a lot of people to buy for, but we all agree not to go over a certain amount. I think I may charge a bigger item or two, but try to pay cash for the rest. What about you guys?

Have any of you considered getting a Visa or American Express Traveler's card, instead of carrying cash? It would be a whole lot more secure, and you wouldn't have to let people see that you are carrying a large amount of cash. Also, you pay for it with funds you already have, so you're not putting yourself into CC debt.

I haven't done it, but it was a thought I had just now. Seems to make sense to me.

Guest DigDoug
I use my credit card for most purchases. I went crazy at BestBuy last year and used their credit card because it had interest free financing for a year.

I carry some cash for the little purchases here and there and then the rest I pay for with my debit card. It makes it easier to see how much I have spent that day. I can just sit down at the computer BF night and figure out how much I dropped that day. Of course I usually already know pretty close to how much I spent in my head.

Just wondering on BF, do you charge all your items, use cash only, or combine the both.

I use my debit or credit card and always pay off the next month for my credit! Last year hubby and I had a good amount of cash, which he took with him and I used the debit so we didn't bounce anything. But usually, he has the debit and I have credit. Thank God, he doesn't have any major credit cards!! :rotflol:

Debit card only here! Hubby has credit cards from before we got married but I haven't used credit cards for years!

I am putting money in a special savings account between now and BF. A few days prior I will transfer it to checking and go hog wild with debit card! :bounce_fl

What's nice is our credit union gives us kickbacks on anything we buy with the debit if we run it through as credit. Nice little savings kickback that we get each year.

In fact, I'm expecting $125 at the end of the month. Guess what I'm saving that money for? :)

I have my VISA at the same credit union my savings acount is. I just put back what I spend from savings onto the card the following week. I also have store cards, and on BF you can get discounts there as well. Just remember to pay them off quickly or you will be stuck with all of that interest!

Cash is so risky. And there are so many people out there looking to steal on this mega-shopping day. I can't imagine toting around a few hundred bucks and it all being stolen.

I try to avoid carrying cash on me 98% of the time. On Black Friday, I only carry my Visa check card and Mastercard check card. One year, I got the Target instant credit just to get my discount on my BF purchases but haven't used it since. With the check cards, I know going into the stores how much I have to spend and CAN'T go over. :yay: